Clubplanet Nightlife Community

fight or flight...

dgmodel

so ive heard that the best thing in life to do to get over a phobia is to just confront it... true or false~!? what if lets say you do, and fine it works out.. .what if the next time it doesnt~!? or what if the first time it doesnt work try again~!? what is the best way to get over your biggest fear(s)~!?

for me its stage fright... and i tried to get over it once by speaking to a group of 200 ppl and lol it didnt work out the way i planned... sober as board, stuttering and stammering, sped through my speech, my jokes bombed... not that much different than any other night, but just now i was in front of bright lights and 200 ppl as opposed to a drunk asian and a bald gorilla...

so ive heard that the best thing in life to do to get over a phobia is to just confront it... true or false~!? what if lets say you do, and fine it works out.. .what if the next time it doesnt~!? or what if the first time it doesnt work try again~!? what is the best way to get over your biggest fear(s)~!?

for me its stage fright... and i tried to get over it once by speaking to a group of 200 ppl and lol it didnt work out the way i planned... sober as board, stuttering and stammering, sped through my speech, my jokes bombed... not that much different than any other night, but just now i was in front of bright lights and 200 ppl as opposed to a drunk asian and a bald gorilla...

:bounce:

I say it's true. My phobia is dark water, where I can't see around me and feel vulnerable. I'm a top notch swimmer but being in the water is troubling, and it's a lifelong fear that I can't shake off. My buddy bought a SeaDoo once and I wanted to ride it despite my fear. It was fun, but being so close to the dark water shook me up so much that I had nightmares that night. When I lost control and wiped out off the watercraft, I was terrified being in the water and climbed back on as fast as I could. But the next time, I was already dying to ride again because it was so much fun and it was great but I was still nervous and had nightmares again. The fear at first overshadowed the fun but I enjoyed it so much that I just had to ride again, and again, and again. My buddy said to me, that the fun will overcome the fear and I'll get over the phobia. Eventualy I purchased a SeaDoo myself and rode as often as I could (I live on a small lake), despite the fear of the water. By the end of that summer I was on my ride every few days, racing and trick ridind and jumping waves and wakes and doing spins, and every so often the inertia would yank me off and I'd fy off and land in the lake. And then I'd casually, calmly tread back to the SeaDoo and climb back on and do it again. I never completely overcame my phobia because I was still afraid of the water, but I did overcome the panic and kept myself calm and rational. So I did what you asked about, I just confronted it every time despite my fear and it helped me face it because with each new experience it wasn't as unfamiliar to me.

Re: your fear, it should be like you said, even if you bomb, force yourself to face it again. But learn from the experience and use it for the next time. If your jokes bombed and you stuttered and stammered, had you practiced enough prior to your speech or presentation? I advice practicing in front of a mirror, and record yourself at the same time. Observe yourself as you talk, practice your gestures and expressions and watch how they look and compensate if they/you don't look comfortable and confidant through the jokes and statements. And play yourself back and study how your voice sounds and practice how to keep your voice strong for the moments that you seemed to stutter or be unsure. Although if you're alone you're not likely to stutter or get nervous, so just work on maintaining your tone and strength during the whole speech or routine. And be prepared for funny jokes and lousy jokes to bomb, by preparing a comback saving remark to fix the failed laugh or at least preserve your sense of control of the situation. Here's an example of what you could say if a joke you were sure would bring the house down fell on deaf ears, you could say something like, "I told my comedy staffers that that one wasn't going to work..." which isn't necessarily funny but it will help you feel like you're still in control and not let nerves shake you up. You could follow through with something like "They told me I'd need charm and wit to win over the room but I figured my charm would be enough, so I may be witless but at least I'm still charming..." That's not making me laugh either but I never claimed to be witty and charming. :bounce:

I was always petrified to talk in front of a large amount of people. There are 2 ways to help. Look into a blinding light and zone yourself out. You will see absolutely no one... ( Hopefully you memorized you speach )

Or Pan the room. Dont pay attention to faces. Just find familiar faces that you know and are comforable with... Friends, Sig. Other, who ever makes you feel comfortable. And when you are finding yourself nervous find that face again... WORKED FOR ME...

fears like stagefright or dancing in public.. i think you should just take a deep breathe grab your balls and handle it... the first time lift a huge weight off your shoulders. the thing to do is to face it again soon, or it may all be for nothing.

some fears... like dark water can be a completely different story altogether. you can face that fear and get over it. but then it may lead you into false confidence. personally, if i can't see the bottom... fuck it

I was always petrified to talk in front of a large amount of people. There are 2 ways to help. Look into a blinding light and zone yourself out. You will see absolutely no one... ( Hopefully you memorized you speach )

Or Pan the room. Dont pay attention to faces. Just find familiar faces that you know and are comforable with... Friends, Sig. Other, who ever makes you feel comfortable. And when you are finding yourself nervous find that face again... WORKED FOR ME...

good point....

....but the irony in your case, as is mine, is that with the right group of people we do and say shit some people would never have the balls to do/say......so hard to take the next step though.....it really is just a matter of doing over and over again.......