Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Black players in the MLB

kayluhb

I had this argument with one of my black co workers today. He was trying to tell me that all of sports is dominated by blacks. He said ESPECIALLY baseball and basketball. Now, I definitely agree about the NBA. But, how could he say all of sports? How about tennis, golf, hockey, soccer, lacrosse, etc...?

But more importantly how in the fucking world could he say that about baseball? I remember reading somewhere that there were like 90 black players in the majors last year. 90! Under 10%, I believe.

I asked him to name me some black players off the top of his head. The first name he gave me was Barry Bonds. The second was Sheffield. The third was Sammy Sosa. Sammy Sosa! OF course, he didn't realize that Sosa is Dominican, not black. After that, he was a blank. He kept naming guys who he thought MIGHT be black, but were Latino instead. It was ridiculous.

Anyway, the point is alot of people think this way and it's annoying. Baseball is dominated by white players. I think 25% of baseball players are Latino. Couple that number with blacks and you get about 35%.

Oh, and as far as the NBA goes...I think with the recent influx of European players, the ratio of white to black players will even out eventually.

One thing I hate about the NFL's policy on hiring coaches. An organization MUST interview at least one minority (or is it specific to black?) candidate for any vacancy. WTF if I'm an owner or GM and I want to hire someone spefically who just happens to be white...Well, then why do I have to waste my fucking time in interviewing someone I'm not going to want anyway? It's my fucking team. Fuck off.

Does the NFL actually believe there is bias? If a GM/owner believed that a certain black dude could take his team to the SB, and would make a much better coach than the white candidate....Don't you think they would hire the black guy???

'Ok boss, on this corner we have Jerome Jackson. He's won at all levels, has three SB rings, is great with players, and gets along with management. Great guy' 'Oh, and he's black'.

'And over here we have Chuck Weinstien. He has a record of 23-42, is infamous for his unnecessary brutal workout regimens which pisses off players, and has an alcohol problem'.

Owner: 'Give me the Jew'

Agreed 100% in fact i donate to an org. that tries to change this

There was an interesting article in SI about the drop in black baseball players.. and it really comes to one problem... there is no space to play the sport in urban towns.. in the latin region yes its all stick ball and games as such that give people like vladimir the ability to hit a ball.. but we also need to remember that baseball is practically their national sport. In our urban towns, we all know that its basketball.. Its a shame b/c the crumbe of dwight and darryl also led to the crumble of black youths playing baseball..

It just is too high maintenence to put up and mainain a field in the city when a parking lot makes more sense u know.. And its a shame because i think we all know how great inner city youths and blacks could be in baseball, if they just sought the opportunity.

I had this argument with one of my black co workers today. He was trying to tell me that all of sports is dominated by blacks. He said ESPECIALLY baseball and basketball. Now, I definitely agree about the NBA. But, how could he say all of sports? How about tennis, golf, hockey, soccer, lacrosse, etc...?

But more importantly how in the fucking world could he say that about baseball? I remember reading somewhere that there were like 90 black players in the majors last year. 90! Under 10%, I believe.

I asked him to name me some black players off the top of his head. The first name he gave me was Barry Bonds. The second was Sheffield. The third was Sammy Sosa. Sammy Sosa! OF course, he didn't realize that Sosa is Dominican, not black. After that, he was a blank. He kept naming guys who he thought MIGHT be black, but were Latino instead. It was ridiculous.

Anyway, the point is alot of people think this way and it's annoying. Baseball is dominated by white players. I think 25% of baseball players are Latino. Couple that number with blacks and you get about 35%.

Oh, and as far as the NBA goes...I think with the recent influx of European players, the ratio of white to black players will even out eventually.

. He was trying to tell me that all of sports is dominated by blacks Are not is

its a lot not alot.

bowling is def white owned...

that is all...

:laugh:

as far as race in sports, it's all just a mix. Baseball has black, white and hispanic.

basketball has black, white, and now asian

football is mostly white n black with some exceptions

anyone who says 1 race dominates a particular sport obviously has their head up their ass a bit too far. Tell them to watch a game and count how many diff. races there are :aright: