Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any recommendations for Sat Jan 22?

greenie

I've seen Roger Sanchez spin in NYC on a few occasions and have always liked his gigs, but I'm already hitting TGIF at ICE on Friday. As much as I love the place I'm not sure if I want to double up on back-to-back nights.

I haven't been in town since the first week of October, so I'm not sure if any clubs have changed their musical styles or residents on Saturdays and would really love some recommendations or insight.

A perfect location for me would have a great sound system and a DJ spinning either heavy/progressive trance, but hard house always makes for a good time at a good club. I can definitely get into hip-hop and mashups as well, but only if it means playing custom instrumental mixes and not the top 40 crap with its ever-present vocals (e.g. my trip to Rain on a Thursday in October).

It it helps at all, here's a small list of the best club nights I've had in Vegas (I can list other parties in other cities if that would help as well) the past 2 years:

ICE - Armin van Buuren - Oct 04

Tangerine/MIST - residents & guests - Aug 04*

ICE - Tall Paul - Spring 04

RA - DJ Irene - Spring 03

HOB - Deep Dish - Spring 03 (granted not a club, but a killer night)

Baby's - Jerry Bonham - Summer(?) 03

Drai's - every time I go

* the Tang/MIST night was a lot of fun largely because I was part of a VIP group, a couple of guys associated with Mile High House, who did a little guest spinning at both venues.

There are more nights that have been great but no need for too huge a list..

Finally, I see no reason that I won't end up at Drai's and stay there past dawn... so if some of you think I'd be better off just hitting a few bars and lounges and stick Saturday clubbing to Drai's, I'm all for it.

(or for that matter, should I go elsewhere on Friday and check Sanchez on Saturday? I've never seen Glaude work a club night, I've only caught him in non-club shows/festivals but I really dig his music and style)

Oh, I should probably also mention that I'm in town this time on my own and am not able to drop VIP dime. If it's a good night and I meet a fewg great people, I'm happy to spend $100 but too much beyond that is out of my budget.

Based on your post, I would recommend that you DO hit up Ice both nights. Or maybe check out DJ AM at Body English on Saturday. He gets pretty creative with his hip-hop / mash-up work.

Hitting Ice up both nights is starting to look more and more likely, talking to a few other friends off-line and everyone is telling me that TGIF is hitting a great stride and that I really shouldn't miss the chance to catch Roger Sanchez... they say he's in outstanding form right now.

Checked out your site and saw you're involved with OPM -- which coincidentally is where I was thinking of heading Sunday night. Some big dancehall friends of mine brought took me to Sex Sunday back in October, definitely had a good time. Gotta give it to a good DH night just for the people watching factor.

Anyway, when I was there it wasn't overly packed (good crowd, but line wasn't a factor at 1AM), has it really picked up a lot? Between flying solo (so far) and not having an excess of paper this weekend, VIP won't be happening for me so let me know if I should think about getting there before midnight.

Mazzola - what room at Ice will you be working? I'll make sure to check out some of your set either there or at Drai's.

tx guys.

Checked out your site and saw you're involved with OPM -- which coincidentally is where I was thinking of heading Sunday night. Some big dancehall friends of mine brought took me to Sex Sunday back in October, definitely had a good time. Gotta give it to a good DH night just for the people watching factor.

Well to be honest we switched up Sundays. We now do the dancehall reggae in the second room and a very urban hip-hop format in the main room. Depending on the week, Sundays can get extremely busy there but this week will be a slow week in town in general so I don't think Sunday will be a problem anywhere before midnight. If you want to get in to the club free, just call 702-369-4998 between 5pm to 9pm and ask to be put on DJ MasterWeb's guest list.

Thanks to everyone in this thread and in private that offered up some advice, which I pretty much took in hitting Ice both nights (with Drai's after Sanchez Saturday). And both nights were truly incredible. I thought it might feel a little routine hitting the same spot on back-to-back nights, but the DJs did me right in creating their own atmospheres during each set. Brilliant.

djmasterweb -- I did also manage to swing by OPM on Sunday. Didn't see your note until getting back home tonight, but I wasn't surprised that things were changed up a bit. In any event, met a couple of gals at Mist beforehand that were trying to figure out where to go and convinced them to accompany me to OPM, and we all had an absolute blast. Thanks for the info and keep up the great work over there, OPM seems on the right track for a solid hip-hop vibe that is less... um... well, "Rain-like."