Clubplanet Nightlife Community

spundae v. avalon? what's gonna happen to saturdays in l.a.?

weyes

i, for one, am ecstatic that spundae is going back to circus :spin2::hoparound !!!!!!!!! spundae is my favorite club, anywhere, of all time, and i was sad when godskitchen took it over and moved it to henry fonda. it brought in a more hollywood, not-there-for-the-music crowd that i didn't care for, and i just love circus's space.

circus is never too hot, the patio is gorgeous and huge with places to sit and tables (i have some friends who've even eaten the food :tongue: , though i'm never hungry when i go out dancing), the dancefloor always has some room, and the vibe is unmatched. the friendliness and down-to-earth attitude of the crowd is just amazing :heart: . i can't say enough about it.

but avalon started getting all the great djs on saturdays. i hate that space 'cause the sound is too loud, even with earplugs. it's better than it used to be, but that's not saying much. that joint straight-up gives me a headache. and that crowd is the biggest bunch of posers i've ever seen. people who wear their sunglasses indoors and never smile are generally not people with whom i care to associate. (ok, maybe some nice people wear sunglasses indoors, but i've never met any :tongue: .) i go out to hear great music and to dance, 'cause it makes me happy, and i want to be among people who do the same. putting on airs is just not my scene. i only hope that spundae can book the good djs again :worry: .

thoughts, anyone?

i, for one, am ecstatic that spundae is going back to circus :spin2::hoparound !!!!!!!!! spundae is my favorite club, anywhere, of all time, and i was sad when godskitchen took it over and moved it to henry fonda. it brought in a more hollywood, not-there-for-the-music crowd that i didn't care for, and i just love circus's space.

circus is never too hot, the patio is gorgeous and huge with places to sit and tables (i have some friends who've even eaten the food :tongue: , though i'm never hungry when i go out dancing), the dancefloor always has some room, and the vibe is unmatched. the friendliness and down-to-earth attitude of the crowd is just amazing :heart: . i can't say enough about it.

but avalon started getting all the great djs on saturdays. i hate that space 'cause the sound is too loud, even with earplugs. it's better than it used to be, but that's not saying much. that joint straight-up gives me a headache. and that crowd is the biggest bunch of posers i've ever seen. people who wear their sunglasses indoors and never smile are generally not people with whom i care to associate. (ok, maybe some nice people wear sunglasses indoors, but i've never met any :tongue: .) i go out to hear great music and to dance, 'cause it makes me happy, and i want to be among people who do the same. putting on airs is just not my scene. i only hope that spundae can book the good djs again :worry: .

thoughts, anyone?

Agree mostly with you.

a) Henry Fonda was a great venue with a good vibe. But had a lotta problems. The largest was geting people in. Only weeks into it, there were scrambling to get more promoters to help out. The bar operations outside the vip room were substandard also. Door staff was wonderful and the vip lounge was perfect.

B) Avalon is a nice venue but too loud, and the smoking patio bizzare.

i've heard that Circus has been remodeled a bit - i'll be curious to see what it looks like now.

remember even before Spundae moved to Henry Fonda...it was far from full in 2004 except for the nights they pull the top trance DJs. i don't expect that to change.....

realistically it comes down to your music preference...if you want Ferry/Armin, CL, etc., you'll be at Circus with the kiddies...

if you like house, prog, etc., you'll be at Avalon....

the 1 big difference is Avalon gets a lot of people that go there b/c they have fun there on a Sat nite, regardless of the DJ.

NOBODY goes to Circus for that reason - they only go for the DJs...

or to sit in an Asian E-Lake :)

look at the DJs upcoming at Avalon:

Hybrid

Sasha

Roger Sanchez

Steve Lawler

Laurent Garnier (until VISA problems forced his cancellation)

upcoming Spundae DJs:

CL, G&D, DJ Vibe (now that's a good booking!), DJ Dan, Charles Feelgood, D:Fuse, Armin...

i'll go where i like the DJs.....not based on the club.

...realistically it comes down to your music preference...if you want Ferry/Armin, CL, etc., you'll be at Circus with the kiddies...

if you like house, prog, etc., you'll be at Avalon....

the 1 big difference is Avalon gets a lot of people that go there b/c they have fun there on a Sat nite, regardless of the DJ.

NOBODY goes to Circus for that reason - they only go for the DJs...

...i'll go where i like the DJs.....not based on the club.

that's the thing: spundae used to have other peeps i liked, like the scumfrog, ferry corsten, and sandra collins; they just didn't pull in such great peeps once avalon started taking over.

i agree with you: i go for the djs. but i don't agree with you on why people choose spundae. people don't only go for the djs there; it's a really relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere --- one that simply isn't found anywhere else. and, while it's definitely true that i mostly go for the djs, i also like to be AT A PLACE where OTHER people are there for the djs, and avalon (as you said) isn't it. i find the vibe there SO incredibly unfriendly, phony, and unpleasant that i can hardly focus on the music. at spundae, i don't need to focus on anything; my being comes together all on its own. all my worries are shed at the door. there's no other place that has that effect on me. i'm glad that i appreciated it while it lasted, for what that's worth.

i guess we'll have to wait and see. march promises to be a very busy month.

I am the first to express my love for Circus, heck, I even know the owner since I was 18 years old way, trust me W A Y back in the days...

Just check the dj lineup for the month of march at spundae/circus...

Christopher Lawrence

Gabriel & Dresden

DJ Vibe

Greenskeepers

D:Fuse

Armin Van Buuren

DJ Dan

Charles Fellgod (my personal fave)

and you know it will be good!

I am working on some hook ups for all of us(actually I already have them, just waiting for what kind of guest list hook ups we an get!)

I for one cant wait for march! :bounce:

A whole new team is behind the new Spundae LA group for the most part. One of the co-founders of Spundae now resides in LA and in charge of things down there. There's a new focus and new dedication.

Be prepared for a lot of great things to come. It's going to be a wild ride.

BTW, I'm Dave (as you can probably tell)....you'll see me running around all over the net spreading the good word about Spundae. If you post on other well-known EDM boards, you probably have seen me around.

Anyhow, stay tuned. :)

Dave