Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Relocated from Orlando

Not much break beat in NYC, besides weekly parties at lounges.

And you are not gonna find that funky florida breakbeat up here, all the breaks up here are New-School or UK type breaks.

For some reason, ICEY and Baby Anne NEVER play NYC, they play philly, cleveland, detroit, etc, but NEVER NY. Even though their label is in NYC.

The last breakbeat DJ at a MAJOR club was Lee Coombs back at ARC about 18 months ago, and while the music was great, they only had about 20-25 people in a club that fit 800+, that IMHO was the last chance at breakbeat in a major NYC club and we blew it.

Anyway, keep an eye out for the weeklies, u never know, u might get suprised.

Coming from a land of Baby Ann, Icey, Chaos, and Jimmy Joslin I need advice on where to find similar dance clubs in NY. No trance, no raves, just straight break beat and house music. Any suggestions?

www.breakbeatscience.com go find the address to the store go down to the store and find some flyers... that's your best bet... i also think they have a messageboard like this one but geared towards people into dnb, electro, breaks.. this board isnt the place for breaks... this is predominantly a tribal/house board... but i agree with what 411 said there are never any breaks dj's in town... supposedly meat katie was in town last summer.... but ?? it looks like you're gonna have to put up with going to rave and seeing someone spin an hour of nu-skool breaks here and there...

Breakbeat science stopped selling breakbeat records 2 years ago when they went to all Drum and Bass.

Sadly, Satellite records has the "largest" Breaks section for sale in all of NYC.

the breaks selection at satellite isn't that bad though.. also i said he/she would find info about breaks parties at bbs, not breaks records..

also im not sure if sonic groove is open but they might have some info about breaks parties... i may be living in the past... who knows??

Welcome from FL! I'm from Cocoa Beach, myself. Taken from another board, this Thursday party looks good. Sullivan Room is a great venue, and I'm friends w/ Chill, one of the DJ's....should be fun.

http://www.rhythmism.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18297

HIT THE BREAKS! feat. JUSTIN JOHNSON 02.10.05 @ Sullivan Room

Direct Drive Presents...

HIT THE BREAKS!

An Exploration of Breakbeat Culture

Thursday 02.10.05

JUSTIN JOHNSON

Hustlin' Records, Barely Legal Records

SARA WALKER

Direct Drive

SCOTTIE B

The Shift, Blunted Funk Recordings

JP001

Plug

CHILL WHITEY

Chunky NYC

D_L_O

Breakbeat Energy

Every Thursday

@ SULLIVAN ROOM

218 Sullivan Street (bet. W. 3rd & Bleecker) NYC

10pm-4am

Subway: A,C,E,F,V,S trains to W. 4th

02.10.05 $6 Admission, 21+

2 FOR 1 DRINK SPECIALS B4 MIDNIGHT!!! Ask Your Bartender B4 You Order...

Coming from a land of Baby Ann, Icey, Chaos, and Jimmy Joslin

Who's DJ Chaos? Where does he spin in Orlando, and how long's he been spinning?

Icey only seems to play in Orlando a couple of times a year nowadays.

Orlando is also the land where Progressive House started in the US (along with San Francisco), and is where DJs like Chris Fortier, Jimmy Van M, and Kimball Collins got their start. It's also where Noel Sanger currently lives. Those are the DJs associated with Orlando that most people outside of Orlando know.

PS, isn't Hybrid playing in New York?

DJ Chaos is someone I know from a club in Orlando called Antigua and he has been spotted at HOB. I've never actually heard him spin, but he and DJ Knightlife, and the rest of the local DJs tend to hang out at Antigua on Wed. nights where my good friend Chris works and where I was first exposed to the amazing talents of DJ Dominique.

Thanks for the answer. Yeah, I know where Antigua is. It was a great club when it first started, but now it's mainly a Hip Hop and 80s club.

DJ Knightlife is a great DJ, currently has a residency at Rhythm & Flow I think. He plays Trance and Progressive House, and I used to regularly catch him at Blue Room on Friday nights a couple of years ago.