Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is House Music Dead in Jersey?

I want to know what everybody else thinks on this issue. For the exception of a few choice clubs on certin nights, it seems like every club is doing mainstream on the main floor on the biggest party nights of the week. I am always looking for a good clubs with real house music all the time and all I keep comming up with is Deko or NYC. I have finally come to the conclusion that Real House music is Dead in clubs in Jersey. All your major clubs are playing hip hop and top 40 on the main floors. You never see any major name DJ's in this state, and it's not like we don't have the venues to do it. Back in the day there were good house parties every friday and saturday night at all the major spots, some of which are now closed. IMO Real House music is dead in Jersey and we killed it by not supporting the real house parties. We shouldn't be forced into the back room of the clubs to hear house, while hip hop and top 40 take all of the crowd in the main floor.

Just my thoughts.

Madness

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it is def. on life support

like you said except for a few places on certain nites it really is

and i think it has been since the good old days of abyss fri nites/hunkabunka fri/sat nites back in the day

bunka on a fri/sat nite back in the day . . .AHH the good memories

really hot chicks everywhere with good attitudes and great music

i used to get there 10pm sharp/place was dead no line sit at the bar drink my face off till 11:30, place was packed by then and then dance till the place closed (and i cant dance, but the music was so good you kinda felt like you had too, plus i was bombed so i didnt care and usually picked up a group of hot chicks to dance with on the floor cause thats how it was in that place) with the exceptional bathroom break, always used the little one in the back that never had a line . . .

i remember standing in line and the guy in front of me was wearing a shirt with no collar and the door guy wouldnt let him in he was like yea but it is "add you fav designer here" and the door man was like i dont care go up the road to wal-mart and buy something with a collar . . .LOL

sorry for the "good ole days" story

Slim007

I want to know what everybody else thinks on this issue. For the exception of a few choice clubs on certin nights, it seems like every club is doing mainstream on the main floor on the biggest party nights of the week. I am always looking for a good clubs with real house music all the time and all I keep comming up with is Deko or NYC. I have finally come to the conclusion that Real House music is Dead in clubs in Jersey. All your major clubs are playing hip hop and top 40 on the main floors. You never see any major name DJ's in this state, and it's not like we don't have the venues to do it. Back in the day there were good house parties every friday and saturday night at all the major spots, some of which are now closed. IMO Real House music is dead in Jersey and we killed it by not supporting the real house parties. We shouldn't be forced into the back room of the clubs to hear house, while hip hop and top 40 take all of the crowd in the main floor.

Just my thoughts.

Madness

*Sessions Baby! See you this saturday. Get at me for the list.

i think it is def. on life support

like you said except for a few places on certain nites it really is

and i think it has been since the good old days of abyss fri nites/hunkabunka fri/sat nites back in the day

bunka on a fri/sat nite back in the day . . .AHH the good memories

really hot chicks everywhere with good attitudes and great music

i used to get there 10pm sharp/place was dead no line sit at the bar drink my face off till 11:30, place was packed by then and then dance till the place closed (and i cant dance, but the music was so good you kinda felt like you had too, plus i was bombed so i didnt care and usually picked up a group of hot chicks to dance with on the floor cause thats how it was in that place) with the exceptional bathroom break, always used the little one in the back that never had a line . . .

i remember standing in line and the guy in front of me was wearing a shirt with no collar and the door guy wouldnt let him in he was like yea but it is "add you fav designer here" and the door man was like i dont care go up the road to wal-mart and buy something with a collar . . .LOL

sorry for the "good ole days" story

Slim007

I couldn't agree with you more, did the same thing back in the Hunka Bunka days, bathroom in the back and getting to the club early. I loved the good ol Aybss days when Denny was the DJ etc. I see Aybss is having Their Anniversary party Feb 23rd, They should have Denny as one of the DJ's that night. What about Sundgarden on Saturday nights, don't they still play manily house music/dance? :pint:

Just my thoughts.

Madness

i wouldnt say dead......more like on permanent vacation in NYC....venues are afraid of trying something different. but what can you do....a club is a business like any other, rap and to 40s brings in numbers....and thats what its all about these days...it seems like the only venues that are willing to take a venture these days and give the underground a shot are all in NYC....i have no problem going into a venue in NYC and getting a monthly or a one off party thats all about EDM....but if you walk into somewhere in jersey, they either blow you off or ask you to play hip hop. my roots are with hip hop and i still love it but that doesnt mean i enjoy to spin it. Its also all about who u know in jersey .....talent doesnt mean jack shit to promoters & venues anymore....but if u happened to go to school with them or you have chilled with them in the past...your in no problem....i'll tell u one thing madness, i havent been to a jersey club in over 4 yrs....and i plan on keeping it that way until something changes....only Deko and Voodoo lounge (for helping my friend james set up open turntables night) get my respect right now in NJ...

thank GOD for the lesser known underground parties in jersey @ warehouses and such that NO ONE knows about...

Its a nightmare. DJ's in NJ are the worst..think about it, who is going to WMC? Santana? thats about it. I dont see anyone from NJ or even NYC for that matter playing at WMC and that is the best dj's who play the best house music in the world.

Its so bad it ridiculous....93.1 in miami, the radiostation, plays better house music then any dj in NJ and most of NYC combined.

Keep letting promoters and ligt guys spin in clubs and it will only get worse. Rydell is the closest thing to original Nj has to offer other then Santana and Rydel isnt even allowed to spin then way he wants to.

I mean owners are now forcing DJ's to spin late 90's and earlie 2000 crap to keep the guidos happy....I mean what ever happened to the music....its so sad that a club in south carolina had a better DJ lineup then then NYC metro area....trust me i am dead serious....go on www.*************.com an look who is spinning where....its doesnt say anywhere in NJ...once Bunkas closed that was then end of Music in NJ and more about sleeveless shirts and deisal sneakers......

Its so bad i rather watch paint dry in eddie biez's basement with andrew mendez installing the celing fan!!!!

I was apart of the Bunkas crew back in the day as well. I kinda thought it was commercial in comparison to what I have always played but it was still house, and it still made for a great time. I never remember going out and knowing you were in for a shit night of music. Now when ever I go to a major venue in Jersey I know exactly what I am in for. Unless it is a special night, you know that there will be top 40 and hip hop in the main room. I might be just getting old but there was a time I could go out any night of the week in this state and hear good music no matter where I went. I would love for more clubs to educate people on music insted of just caving in to what mass media says is the right way. You use to go to clubs to get something different from what you heard on the radio, at least that is why I went. Now you can turn on the radio and hear the same shit you hear at the clubs. I went to a club a couple of months back with a friend of mine from out of town who happened to be into the mainstream hip hop thing, and we were listening to the radio on the way there. And not even 20 min in the door I heard at least five songs that were just on the radio during the drive up.

That to me is a waist of money, I just paid money to hear the same shit I could have heard by staying in the car and spending no money. For me I want an education in music when I go out, if not then why bother waisting the money. It wasn't like that back in the day, I got taken for a ride throught the creative mind of the DJ. Now I just get taken for a ride throught MTV and Hot 97 land, and that ride is very very uneducational.

Madness

When I was thinking of becoming a DJ it was much different. Music was first introduced in the clubs by DJ's like Knuckles, Humphries, Morales, etc. It flowed from the clubs to radio play. Clubgoers did not demand instant satisfaction. They went on the ride, the journey, that the DJ created through an entire evening of programming. I would only go to clubs where the majority of the DJ's materail was stuff I could not hear on the radio, but only at that club. That's how DJ's traditionally built their following.

Over the last 5-8 years the majority of people going to clubs now have gotten their idea of what clubbing and music should be like from MTV/VH1/Commercial Radio. So the focus has changed.

Now commercial media dictates what will or will not be a hit. Videos glamorize the bling of the hip-hop lifestyle despite the fact that most hip-hop is low bpm/low energy. The songs have catchy hooks and refrains. You see it all the time, some idiot in there car singing along to the latest pop tune. then when they go to the club they expect to hear the same mainstream, lowest common demoninator, pop crap they listen to every day. They don't want to be challenged musically, they don't want to educated. They just want what they want, right now when they want it.

If the commercial media pushed dance videos, as they do in Europe, maybe there would more of audience for uptempo dance music. If uptempo dance music were glamorized the way hip-hop has been I am sure you would have a much different following.

It is amazing to me to work somewhere and have some ignorant 20-something girl come up and say "Can you play something other than all this techno ?" when the music being played is KTU style vocal dance music. If I ever played some real techno she would probably croak and die right there on the dance floor. I am continually stunned by the level of ignorance exhibited by a high percentage of Jersey's current crop of clubheads.

House/Trance/Techno and other forms of EDM, unfortunately I feel, will continue to appeal only to those who are seeking an alternative to the mainstream crap that is fed to the sheeplike masses. It is music that people will actively have to seek out to connect with. As the average clubber in Jersey has a fairly wide lazy streak, most won't make the effort.

No effort, no reward.

Just my thoughts.

Madness

What more can you ask for David Morales this Saturday @ DEKO!

Victor Soto

for your information, that "dance" music station in floridia just turned fro being the main dance station to...ready...ROCK!!!!

CHECK IT OUT.

George....i meant at the time 93.1 was......

Look at studio...petey has that Nigger music going on till 12 30 am. By 12 everyone is playing with themselves wait for richy to go on. Its a nightmare. And then why Richie goes on he has to play to what petey wants cause Petey wants to keep it a lougue and not a club....but he will allow sneakers and guidos whith t-shirts on.....

Its a nightmare...studio 4 has untill june and watch his 3 nights go down to 2. and then this ime next year you will see.....its will slow down. You can only be KTU for so long untill it gets old.

Dont be mad at opinions...get mad at the truth that noone is able to swallow

What more can you ask for David Morales this Saturday @ DEKO!

Victor Soto

see this is good. Moralas...u think studio 4 will do this no....they have hip hop and a flyer designer spinning on saturdays lol

Deko....good JOB finally some real music in NJ

adam freemer

hector romero

Scumfrog

Trendoid

Brian Owen

Steve Porter

shall i go on chief?

Ok stop..i meant guys wth residencies...guys who spin in NYC all the time, guys who play in clubs in NJ.......

Forinstence, Drapper and Visious residents at Avalonon friday..what a fucking joke that is

Ok stop..i meant guys wth residencies...guys who spin in NYC all the time, guys who play in clubs in NJ.......

Forinstence, Drapper and Visious residents at Avalonon friday..what a fucking joke that is

so your telling me that just cuz you have a residency means that you have talent? :laugh:

so scumfrog doesnt spin all the time? at Cielo, Quo, Cellar Bar...

Romero has a residency @ the sullivan room and is the A&R for Saw Recordings (satoshi tomiie's label)

Steve Porter doesnt play all the time ALL OVER THE WORLD and has the top DJs in the world playing his tracks????

come on dude....how the fuck are you gunna compare draper and vicious to the guys i did??? are u fucking serious?

yo victor....not for nothing, but why not add somthing interesting instead of another promotion?

This was titled that there was no house music in Jersey. I simply stated that house music will be played this Saturday @ DEKO. I dont see anything wrong by even saying that. Its true what I said " What more can you ask for DAVID MORALES "

Victor Soto

This was titled that there was no house music in Jersey. I simply stated that house music will be played this Saturday @ DEKO. I dont see anything wrong by even saying that. Its true what I said " What more can you ask for DAVID MORALES "

Victor Soto

true that bro...i give you guys all the respect for being the only dudes in jersey to be doing it....but im asking for your opinion on the jersey scene in regards to house music as a whole.....

but i understand if u rather not answer...your a promoter and u dont want any conflicts with places and dont wanna burn your bridges...