Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Danny Tenaglia @ eNVy: Review...

philippio

Let me start by saying that Danny Tenaglia is my favorite dj. I saw him for the first time in Athens right before the Boxed boys released their Global Underground set (I had no idea who he was then). Later on, I caught a few of his marathon sets at the old old Space (before Space 34) but more importantly, I used to drive religiously from Connecticut to Vinyl (and subsequently, Arc) to see him at his nearly world famous "Be Yourself" party every friday. Since then, I only caught him at Space when Oscar G. opened for him at the Space 34 closing fiasco. So I have caught Danny when he was on fire and at times when he wasn't as impressive.

Now, there are a few things that DT's fans can count on. He is by far one of the most dynamic dj's behind the booth, from wearing funny hats (like his famous police hat) to crawling down and disappearing in the booth only to pop up a few seconds later with two huge flashlights, waving and shining them on the crowd. Danny is also considered, by many, to be one of the most crowd-responsive dj's. I say this because you can almost feel the vibe that he communicates to the crowd and the energy that he absorbs back and filters into his mastery of every electronic device in the booth.

The other thing that perhaps is not so evident when he plays in Miami, is that there are those who go to hear him play from the beginning where he will usually start off with dark, dirty house music and work his way to more minimal and acid house before heading to slightly more tribal and or proggy territory. Then there are those who love DT for his traditionally, 9-10am set where he might drop anything from an obscure electro record to a Madonna song looped and sampled and then cut in with a rumbling accapella over one of his many versions of 'Elements' or 'Turn Me On' or Celeda's 'Be Yourself'. This is the DT that I like to hear and the DT that I live for.

I showed up (at 3am) and I left at around 8:45 because I was exhausted and he lost my attention . His mixing was top notch. No complaints there. It sounded like the system was reinforced. DT is really serious about sound (word has it that he bought Vinyl's old system and put it in his house). I was amazed to hear Lustral's 'Everytime' (I think it may have been the Nalin & Kane mix but I'm not sure). Every now and then he dropped a few trancier, more melodic records but for the most part, it was a relentless maelstrom of banging house music. Most of the crowd was eating it up because it was either progressive enough or tribal enough or just hard. He did talk to the crowd like he usually does and at around 6:45 as a break came in, he dropped a cut up accapella of Larry Heard's 'Can You Feel It' ("In the beginning there was Jack, and Jack had a groove...") :bowdown: I thought the true Danny had just shone through but he quickly went back to the harder, proggier stuff. Like a friend mentioned, "it just wasn't vintage Danny."

I also wasn't really feeling a vibe from the crowd (keep in mind that I'm comparing to his strong following at Vinyl) :(. So it seemed like a Catch 22. Less feedback from the crowd led to a more subdued response (as far as track selection). At some point he dropped an old-skool electro track that was just sick. Everyone was eating it up. At about that time, Alan T. showed up in his wacky police outfit donning his megaphone. The crowd was liking that. It was a very "mixed" crowd which is to be somewhat expected (so I didn't mind it). That is not to say that there wasn't a myriad of scantily clad, beautiful girls. I saw Ivano Bellini getting down on the dancefloor and I think I saw Sasha drop in for a while after his set at Amika.

Let's just say that if you wanted to hear Danny terrorize a dancefloor with really strong, powerful basslines and keep everyone wanting more, you had a good time last night. At 8:45 he was still going strong but I think the lack of accapellas and some of his usual trickery (while I was there) were what made me lose interest. I haven't understood why he plays so much differently in Miami. Maybe it's because of this city's fixation with progressive house and tribal? :confused: Maybe someone who stayed until the end could pick up where I left off?

The sound in there was quite good. Lows were really heavy and went straight to the heart (which I like) and highs were not shrieking to the point of blowing out people's eardrums. One of the people I was there with had a complaint about the lights. That's probably the one thing I'm not picky about when it comes to nightclubs. I would be perfectly happy in a dark, black room with maybe just a few strobes occasionally reflecting off a disco ball. The darker, the better.

All in all, I did have a good time :). My legs and feet are very sore from dancing (and prancing :D). I was just not taken on the musical journey that Danny Tenaglia usually takes me on when I hear him. But I will say that I'll definitely be back to hear him when he spins on his birthday in early March (I believe). It was great to see some familiar faces and it was definitely an awesome party to bring me up to speed with nightlife now that I'm back in Miami.

:hoparound

Now thats what i call a damn review......... Non bias with a bit of both pro and cons not leading to the ever so ....... he's my favorite dj so let there be no flaws in his act approach.

Great job! :bowdown:

As far as tech, prog, tribal mentality- goes with the common aid of lack of exposure- hence the elements of radio and new talent in this epic state of dance music...

One day we will rise as kings of Dance- South Florida has many years to uncover and will be crowned as such...... one Day!

I agree with you 100%. Not his best set, but it was still fun to see him. I am also spoiled by having religiously attending the be yourself party and the made party on saturday (on a side note, does howells ever come down here).

I agree with you 100%. Not his best set, but it was still fun to see him. I am also spoiled by having religiously attending the be yourself party and the made party on saturday (on a side note, does howells ever come down here).

yes to Space now and again, and for WMC he's in top form

Great review Phil!

I usually don't post reviews or even post period but after reading some reviews I feel its about time I write one or at least attempt.

Danny was opening the night, so I decided to get there early too, because it's not that often I get to hear him without someone opening for him. I get there at a little before midnight, and the club was pretty empty it was cool though I didn't come for a crowd I came to get my groove on. When I walked in Danny was dropping some sick acid which right then I knew there would be no fucking around.

In my opinion and the packed floors at 1130am D.T. fucking brought it last night, I had a great time not leaving the dancefloor from the moment I got there until I left which was about 1'sh Monday afternoon.

The crowd was great the floor was packed and every body was having a great time, especially Danny. It's really special to see someone that has been giggin for so long still have so much fun doing it. Through out the morning D.T. would leave the booth for the dancefloor and dance around with everybody with his flashlight and half of a disco ball.

Danny really knows how to hold a floor playing everything from playing everything from soulful house to Techno and even some trancier stuff. I was even dancing to the trance!!! Don't telling anyone though O.K.(Just Kidding!)

I guess sometimes people myself included, I'm probably one of the worst offenders (I often get called a music snob) forget the fact that going to a club is to party and listen to good music and not worry about the fact that a mix or 2 wasnt on point or a few of the tracks are in a genre that isn't your thing. HAVE FUN, Dance around like a fool who cares its a party!!! And Sunday night was a party, great crowd, great music and sick vibe. Eric Morillo even made an apperance havin it in the VIP area.

Alright I think I have spent too much time on C.P. I'm starting to get pasty (Just Kidding again!) in all I had one of the FUNNIEST nights I've had in a long time. Thank you Danny Tenaglia and Envy.

Reza

Let me start by saying that Danny Tenaglia is my favorite dj. I saw him for the first time in Athens right before the Boxed boys released their Global Underground set (I had no idea who he was then). Later on, I caught a few of his marathon sets at the old old Space (before Space 34) but more importantly, I used to drive religiously from Connecticut to Vinyl (and subsequently, Arc) to see him at his nearly world famous "Be Yourself" party every friday. Since then, I only caught him at Space when Oscar G. opened for him at the Space 34 closing fiasco. So I have caught Danny when he was on fire and at times when he wasn't as impressive.

Now, there are a few things that DT's fans can count on. He is by far one of the most dynamic dj's behind the booth, from wearing funny hats (like his famous police hat) to crawling down and disappearing in the booth only to pop up a few seconds later with two huge flashlights, waving and shining them on the crowd. Danny is also considered, by many, to be one of the most crowd-responsive dj's. I say this because you can almost feel the vibe that he communicates to the crowd and the energy that he absorbs back and filters into his mastery of every electronic device in the booth.

The other thing that perhaps is not so evident when he plays in Miami, is that there are those who go to hear him play from the beginning where he will usually start off with dark, dirty house music and work his way to more minimal and acid house before heading to slightly more tribal and or proggy territory. Then there are those who love DT for his traditionally, 9-10am set where he might drop anything from an obscure electro record to a Madonna song looped and sampled and then cut in with a rumbling accapella over one of his many versions of 'Elements' or 'Turn Me On' or Celeda's 'Be Yourself'. This is the DT that I like to hear and the DT that I live for.

I showed up (at 3am) and I left at around 8:45 because I was exhausted and he lost my attention . His mixing was top notch. No complaints there. It sounded like the system was reinforced. DT is really serious about sound (word has it that he bought Vinyl's old system and put it in his house). I was amazed to hear Lustral's 'Everytime' (I think it may have been the Nalin & Kane mix but I'm not sure). Every now and then he dropped a few trancier, more melodic records but for the most part, it was a relentless maelstrom of banging house music. Most of the crowd was eating it up because it was either progressive enough or tribal enough or just hard. He did talk to the crowd like he usually does and at around 6:45 as a break came in, he dropped a cut up accapella of Larry Heard's 'Can You Feel It' ("In the beginning there was Jack, and Jack had a groove...") :bowdown: I thought the true Danny had just shone through but he quickly went back to the harder, proggier stuff. Like a friend mentioned, "it just wasn't vintage Danny."

I also wasn't really feeling a vibe from the crowd (keep in mind that I'm comparing to his strong following at Vinyl) :(. So it seemed like a Catch 22. Less feedback from the crowd led to a more subdued response (as far as track selection). At some point he dropped an old-skool electro track that was just sick. Everyone was eating it up. At about that time, Alan T. showed up in his wacky police outfit donning his megaphone. The crowd was liking that. It was a very "mixed" crowd which is to be somewhat expected (so I didn't mind it). That is not to say that there wasn't a myriad of scantily clad, beautiful girls. I saw Ivano Bellini getting down on the dancefloor and I think I saw Sasha drop in for a while after his set at Amika.

Let's just say that if you wanted to hear Danny terrorize a dancefloor with really strong, powerful basslines and keep everyone wanting more, you had a good time last night. At 8:45 he was still going strong but I think the lack of accapellas and some of his usual trickery (while I was there) were what made me lose interest. I haven't understood why he plays so much differently in Miami. Maybe it's because of this city's fixation with progressive house and tribal? :confused: Maybe someone who stayed until the end could pick up where I left off?

The sound in there was quite good. Lows were really heavy and went straight to the heart (which I like) and highs were not shrieking to the point of blowing out people's eardrums. One of the people I was there with had a complaint about the lights. That's probably the one thing I'm not picky about when it comes to nightclubs. I would be perfectly happy in a dark, black room with maybe just a few strobes occasionally reflecting off a disco ball. The darker, the better.

All in all, I did have a good time :). My legs and feet are very sore from dancing (and prancing :D). I was just not taken on the musical journey that Danny Tenaglia usually takes me on when I hear him. But I will say that I'll definitely be back to hear him when he spins on his birthday in early March (I believe). It was great to see some familiar faces and it was definitely an awesome party to bring me up to speed with nightlife now that I'm back in Miami.

:hoparound

Excellent review Phil. Too bad I missed it ... but your review does bring me flashbacks of great DT nites.

MD