Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Coles / Moss swap being discussed...

kfitz73

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1999620

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Washington Redskins and New York Jets are in serious trade negotiations and, if a deal is consummated, it would have the teams' top wide receivers changing uniforms, ESPN.com has learned.

Under terms of the trade proposal, the Redskins would send unhappy wide receiver Laveranues Coles to the Jets, the franchise with which he actually began his career. In return, Washington would get four-year veteran wideout Santana Moss.

League and team sources, here for the annual predraft scouting combine, confirmed the discussions. While the parameters of the trade appear to be in place, and each club seems satisfied with the terms, there remain several hurdles. Foremost among them, as reported Thursday by ESPN.com, is that the Redskins must first create salary cap room to absorb the hit they will take in a Coles trade.

But one team official said on Friday morning that, if he were a betting man, he would wager that the trade eventually is completed.

Jets coach Herm Edwards, asked on Friday if he would be interested in being reunited with Coles, who spent the first three years of his career in New York, declined comment, citing NFL anti-tampering rules.

"Man, I'm not going there, OK?" Edwards said, laughing. "(Coles) is under contract to another team. I don't want the commissioner coming after me."

The Jets clearly feel, though, that Coles is the better receiver of the two. The Jets did not want to let Coles escape in 2002, but the terms of the restricted free agent offer sheet to which the Redskins signed him, a seven-year deal worth $35 million and including a $13 million signing bonus, were too prohibitive to match.

Washington, which has decided it will move Coles, who has complained about the lack of verticality in the Redskins' defense, covets Moss' explosiveness.

Moss, 25, was the Jets' first-round choice in the 2001 draft and the former Miami (Fla.) star has been a productive playmaker when healthy. There have been times, however, when Moss has missed time with hamstring and knee injuries. In four seasons, he had 29 starts in 51 appearances, with 151 receptions for 2,416 yards and 19 touchdowns. His best season came in 2003, when he posted 74 catches, 1,105 yards and nine scores.

He is entering the final year of his original rookie contract and is scheduled to earn a base salary of $448,000 in 2005. Washington will seek a contract extension with Moss before completing any deal for him, but that should not be a problem. Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Moss, has worked with Redskins owner Dan Snyder on several contracts in the past and the two men have a strong relationship.

Before the Redskins can complete any Coles trade, though, they must first carve out a considerable amount of cap room.

The salary cap math involved in the Coles' mess: If Washington trades the wide receiver, whom they signed as a restricted free agent in 2003, forfeiting a first-round draft choice to the Jets in that transaction, they face a cap impact in excess of $9 million.

Efforts to have Coles bypass a $5 million deferred signing bonus due him on April 1, a move that would have dramatically decreased the cap hit, seem to have fallen apart. Coles originally had agreed to forfeit the $5 million, but only as part of an agreement that he would be released, and able to choose his next team.

The Redskins don't have the cap space sufficient to afford the $9 million charge that would accompany a Coles trade. But offensive tackle Chris Samuels, whose cap charge for 2005 is $9.5 million and who is due $6.5 million in base salary and bonuses, can provide desperately needed room if he agrees to a new deal.

Samuels, 27, is agreeable to an extension but the numbers must be right before the five-year veteran, a first-round pick in the 2000 draft, signs off on a reworked contract. As of Thursday afternoon, despite accelerated negotiations between the Redskins and Samuels' agent, an accord was not imminent.

Agent Jimmy Sexton in January sent the Redskins a contract proposal that was rejected by Washington officials. A month later, the Redskins would love to strike a deal based on those January figures. Problem is, with the big-money contracts already signed during this offseason by Walter Jones of Seattle and Indianapolis' Ryan Diem, the financial landscape for offensive tackles has been altered.

Jones received a signing bonus of $16 million on a seven-year contract with total value of $52.5 million. Although he is one of the better left tackles in the league, Samuels does not rate in Jones' elite class. But Samuels still will merit a contract with a signing bonus close to what Jones received, with a per-year average of at least $6 million.

I'm not sure what to make of this... I hope if this happens they would also try to grab another receiver like Mason...

does not make much sense as you still would need another wr. if coles is close to being released anyway, why would you do this?

moss might walk after next year but i would have him play it out anyway...

g.g

He's not getting released... There are several teams interested in him. It's just a matter of re-doing Samuels contract so they can take the cap hit. Coles was willing to pay back part of his bonus in exchanged for being released but that fell apart...

I don't think there's any question that Coles is a better receiver. It's just that i'd miss having Moss on special teams returning punts...

Actually if you compare their best years, Santana I believe put up better numbers...it's a wash in my eyes at best. If Coles really wanted to stay, he could've taken a little less money and not bolt to the Skins...I have a major problem with him because of that.

Actually if you compare their best years, Santana I believe put up better numbers...it's a wash in my eyes at best. If Coles really wanted to stay, he could've taken a little less money and not bolt to the Skins...I have a major problem with him because of that.

Moss has had one good year Coles has 2 or 3... Coles is a lot tougher and more durable. It was the Jets fault that Coles left because if they set it up so that the Skins had to give up a first and a third to get him, the Skins never would have went after him. If we do this trade it winds up that we got Coles and a first round draft pick (what we got for Coles leaving) for Moss. Good trade if you ask me... Whether this trade goes down of not we still need another receiver because Chrebet is running routes with a giant fork stuck in his back...

If Coles is ok (chronic turf toe), then the deal was a good one. The Jets brass hates Rosenhaus so they would not be able to sign Moss, anyway.

Lola, the Lions have no QB so they will not be going anywhere.....they were bidding hard (and lost) for K. Warner of all people. Who's next - Scott Mitchell?

g.g

Lola, the Lions have no QB so they will not be going anywhere.....they were bidding hard (and lost) for K. Warner of all people. Who's next - Scott Mitchell?

g.g

Lions just signed Marcus Pollard and Kenoy Kennedy..... Looks like we'll be left with Jeff Garcia or Brad Johnson. I think I like Garcia moreso that Johnson.. he's just plain sucked the last two years for the Bucs.

Lions just signed Marcus Pollard and Kenoy Kennedy..... Looks like we'll be left with Jeff Garcia or Brad Johnson. I think I like Garcia moreso that Johnson.. he's just plain sucked the last two years for the Bucs.

They'll be ushering in the Jeff Garcia era week 4 at the latest...

i had harrington on my fantasy team so i watched the lions some. one game last year, they were inside the five yard line and harrington ran a boot-leg. he could have walked into the end-zone cause there were no defenders around but instead he choose to throw to a te who was equally wide-open.

what happened next is hard to believe but he threw the ball so high over the receiver's head that it landed in the 2nd row of seats!

i think det eventually scored on a run play but that cost my team points!!! :mad:

-g.g

i had harrington on my fantasy team so i watched the lions some. one game last year, they were inside the five yard line and harrington ran a boot-leg. he could have walked into the end-zone cause there were no defenders around but instead he choose to throw to a te who was equally wide-open.

what happened next is hard to believe but he threw the ball so high over the receiver's head that it landed in the 2nd row of seats!

i think det eventually scored on a run play but that cost my team points!!! :mad:

-g.g

Well thats what you get for drafting harrington for fantasy football:laugh: Must have been a big league......

Anyway, Harrington also does not have the greatest offensive line to work with and our RB, Kevin Jones was hurt most of the season... and we lost our other WR there for the season too..

This year the Lions will do well... I can feel it... now that Randy Moss is gone, Green Bay's been in a slump and Chicago sucks.. we just might win our division!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: