Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Learning to DJ

gmanz73

some records have vocal acappelas right on them that you can use for remixes, but most don't, and there is nothing you can do to get the vocals by themselves, there are no magic tricks for seperating sounds on musical recordings that have all the sounds already mixed together. DJ's decide to use a certain vocal accapella because they happen to have access to it, the choices are always going to be very limited for that kind of thing...

sometimes pop songs have very minimal music with the vocal very prominent, so it's not an actual accapella but it's close enough, I recently did a remix of this 60's song where they recorded most of the music on the R channel, and the vocal totally on the L channel so I just used the Left side...

If you really want to do remixes get Ableton Live, you can import a song, set it up on a grid pretty quickly and then start adding big kick drums, and heavy bass lines to make it into a dance track, it's super easy once you get the hang of it, the stuff you add has to be in key and in tune with the original, if you know music theory that helps a lot, otherwise you can just mess around with notes and stuff until you find something that sounds good, though when it comes to mixing it down to get a final product it will take you years of trial an error to get good at it, the best thing is to start working with someone who already knows how to mix and master and learn from them, eq-ing and compression are rather esoteric

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CRAP!!

Agreed. Stay away from that brand, Gemini or American DJ. For mixers you want to look at Pioneer, Vestax, Numark or Behringer (I would say Rane or UREI but you're no where near that level price wise). Any of those will do...obviously some are more expensive than others, but you can easily get one of the lower line mixers within those brands to start.

Agreed. Stay away from that brand, Gemini or American DJ. For mixers you want to look at Pioneer, Vestax, Numark or Behringer (I would say Rane or UREI but you're no where near that level price wise). Any of those will do...obviously some are more expensive than others, but you can easily get one of the lower line mixers within those brands to start.

I love my pioneer 707 but i wish i had another ch to hook up my laptop and effects would be cool as well, but the 909 was out budget for me. Rane is awsome!!! Otherwise the pioneer is crisp and the x-fader is sooo freaken smooth. Numark is also pretty sweet havent tried any others.

Behringer Eurorack UB802 - no, thats not used for what you need it for.

BEHRINGER EURORACK UB1202 - no again...

Those are more studio type mixers, not beat mixers. I have used them before and wouldnt find them usefull when DJ'ing

You want this:

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/dj_index.cfm?lang=ENG

that takes me to the website do u have a particular model thats is what i need maybe at least 3 or 4 channels.

thanks!

they call it a scratch mixer because it has a narrow design, which is ideal if you are a scratch DJ. if u have a HUGE space between your turntables, it is mroe difficult to do tricks like scratching and using the cross-fader. thats why u usualy see hip hop dj's with nothing more than a 3 channel mixer. usually they have a 2 channel since they either use only 2 turntables or 2 cd players.

but yes to answer your question u can use a scratch mixer to do "normal" beatmatching mixes....the only difference between a scratch mixer and a 4 channel is the number of channels and the size....they still all do the same thing....

Too bad I never assume, becuase its the mother of all fuck ups... :gang:

i meant that i could use a mixer 4 what a mixer is used 4? my CD players dont have scratching on them but if i use a scratch mixer will it still work with my regular CD players? Get it?

i meant that i could use a mixer 4 what a mixer is used 4? my CD players dont have scratching on them but if i use a scratch mixer will it still work with my regular CD players? Get it?

yea a mixer is used to go from one channel to another, simply put.

I have a pioneer 707 at home.

yes your cd players will still work. like i said...its only called a scratch mixer cuz its "meant" for people that use turntables or cd players to scratch. it just has a slim design thats very simple and layed out simple as well, its ment to help the user concentrate on his mixing/scratching and not be worried about other weird buttons and stuff on the mixers. but its no different from a "normal" mixer....

a tape out is an output that is used to connect a tape deck to a mixer. for recording purposes....u can hook up a tape recorder, DAT tape recorder, CD recorder, Laptop w/ a recording program ect...

yes your cd players will still work. like i said...its only called a scratch mixer cuz its "meant" for people that use turntables or cd players to scratch. it just has a slim design thats very simple and layed out simple as well, its ment to help the user concentrate on his mixing/scratching and not be worried about other weird buttons and stuff on the mixers. but its no different from a "normal" mixer....

a tape out is an output that is used to connect a tape deck to a mixer. for recording purposes....u can hook up a tape recorder, DAT tape recorder, CD recorder, Laptop w/ a recording program ect...

A Scratch mixer has more then a complex layout its more of how well the x-over unit comes from 1 ch to another. Of course the more u spend the more options you have like my 707.

For a really good explanation go to the Pioneer DJ forums.

yea a scratch mixer is all about the crossfader...since turntablists constantly use it. i heard they can do something like 1000+ passes on a crossfader in one night. that shit is nuts!

they are cool...ive had them in the past. ive upgraded to a rane mp 2016 tho.