Clubplanet Nightlife Community

'Chappelle' production suspended

Season will not start as scheduled

NEW YORK (AP) -- Production of the popular Comedy Central series "Chappelle's Show" has been suspended and its third season's premiere indefinitely delayed.

Comedy Central issued a statement Wednesday, saying: "All parties are optimistic that production will resume in the near future."

The season will not start May 31 as originally scheduled, the statement added.

Neither Comedy Central publicist Tony Fox nor Dave Chappelle's spokesman, Matt Labov, would discuss what caused the halt in production or how long it might last.

This unexpected turn deprives the network of one of its most valuable properties, a sketch-comedy series with a raw, satirical edge that became a critical and popular hit.

Last summer Comedy Central signed Chappelle to a deal reportedly worth $50 million for a third and fourth season. The two-year agreement also allowed Chappelle to develop other programming for the cable channel and cut him in on DVD sales, a lucrative factor considering his series' first-season DVD sold more than 2 million copies.

Last season the show was nominated for three Emmys, including outstanding comedy series.

Here is what happened...

Their marketing team realized that by releasing the 2nd season DVD only ONE WEEK before the new episodes was to soon. They are doing this as a publicity stunt and to sell more DVD copies...Once the fire on the DVD's die out .. BAM they rekindle the flame and drop season 3!

again just my opinion on the situation

Does this mean that I won't be subjected to people shouting "IM RICK JAMES BITCH" when I'm waiting in line at 5 am? ......

SOrry hate to break it to you but that line will be back in FULL EFFECT come may 23rd when the second season DVD is released. That episode will finally be unedited and millions of stoners and other americans alike will be screaming from the top of they lungs again .. THEY SHOULDA NEVA GAVE YOU NIGGAHS MONEY .. LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOOLOLO

The truth is that Dave Chapelle wants more control physically and creativley over the show. However, comedy central NEVER gives out that type of control.

Same thing happened with south park. All that Crap you see in stores is 100% liscensed by Com Central and has NOTHING to do with the Parkers. CC owns 100% of South Park and the Parkers do nothing except make it (which they are contractually obligated to do)

From what I heard Chapelle doesnt want his show and merchandise to end up like that

Chapelle is the man...definitely one of the top ten shows I miss not having cable. I'm sure it's possible this is a publicity stunt for the DVD release. I do PR for a bunch of DVD labels and getting press is not easy!

The truth is that Dave Chapelle wants more control physically and creativley over the show. However, comedy central NEVER gives out that type of control.

Same thing happened with south park. All that Crap you see in stores is 100% liscensed by Com Central and has NOTHING to do with the Parkers. CC owns 100% of South Park and the Parkers do nothing except make it (which they are contractually obligated to do)

From what I heard Chapelle doesnt want his show and merchandise to end up like that

He stalled for the longest time in signing a new contract. He also stated that he was grossly underpaid for the first two seasons. Greedy motherfucker.

i think that dave chapelle got way money hungry and he's holding out making the new season waiting for comedy central to give him more money...its fucked up, too, considering that he signed a multimillion dollar deal that was one of the biggest tv deals in history...im surprised though, bc i just started seeing commercials on comedy central saying that the wait is over and the new season is premiering next month...

i think that dave chapelle got way money hungry and he's holding out making the new season waiting for comedy central to give him more money...its fucked up, too, considering that he signed a multimillion dollar deal that was one of the biggest tv deals in history...im surprised though, bc i just started seeing commercials on comedy central saying that the wait is over and the new season is premiering next month...

She hit the nail right on the head. He is GREEDY, as he just only signed a new contract and he is already trying to renegotiate.

The same thing happened with James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) on the Sopranoes.