Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Live 8 (rock against hunger - on the way)

funketeer

Not long ago I bought the Live Aid DVD and was amazed at how many bands we used to have back then...dang...major acts performed on two huge stadiums both in europe and america...organizer Bob Geldof is at it again, check this article...they dissed Spice Girls :biggrin:

2564618952.jpg

EXCLUSIVE Live 8 snub for Spice Girls as bosses brand their music too trivial for gig to aid starving

By Cameron Robertson

SIR Bob Geldof will today announce the glittering line-up for music spectacular Live 8 - but the Spice Girls will not be in it.

The decision by concert bosses to axe them from the concert will be a bitter blow to the five stars who had hoped to re-form and play together for the first time since they split in 1998.

Geri Halliwell, 32, Victoria Beckham, 31, Melanie C, 31, Melanie B, 29, and 29-year-old Emma Bunton.

A source said: "The girls will be gutted by the decision."

Advertisement

But Live 8 organisers were adamant their style of music did not fit in with the serious political message about world poverty the transatlantic event hopes to portray.

A BBC spokesman said: "Many of the biggest rock stars in the world have agreed to take part, and the Spice Girls just don't fit.

"It's a political rally to put pressure on world leaders and their kind of pop act didn't seem right for this kind of event. There was also a practical problem that with so many great international rock stars and bands wanting to do their bit, there just won't be time for the Spice Girls.

"Perhaps, if five or six bands pulled out it would be different, but the truth is it's just not going to happen."

Among the 16 major acts Sir Bob is expected to reveal will be Sir Paul McCartney and U2, who are due to open the London end of the event in Hyde Park with the Beatles classic Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Robbie Williams hopes to do a Queen track - ideally We Will Rock You or We Are The Champions - before performing his hit Angels.

Sting is to sing The Police classic Every Breath You Take, while Annie Lennox wants to do Why. Oasis have been in discussions about playing My Generation by The Who, who are also expected to perform.

Other big names being lined up include Outkast, Destiny's Child, Black-Eyed Peas, Linkin Park, Alicia Keys and Mary J Blige.

US rapper Eminem is due to play at the Washington concert which will be screened after the London gig.

There will be simultaneous events in France and Germany.

The event, for the Make Poverty History campaign, which is backed by the Mirror, comes 20 years after the first Live Aid in 1985 which raised £60million for the starving of Ethiopia and was watched by 1.5billion around the globe.

More than 100,000 tickets for the Hyde Park gig will go on sale next Monday - available by texting a number which printed in the Mirror on that day.

Giant screens will be put up in squares and parks in around 20 cities and towns around Britain for those who cannot get into the concerts.

Jonathan Ross and Jamie Theakston will compere the London concert and Graham Norton the US one.

The event, aimed at banishing Third World debt, comes on the eve of the G8 Summit of rich nations at Gleneagles, Scotland, on July 6-8.

For the first time in 35 years, the Wimbledon women's tennis final, which many fans hope 17-year-old champion Maria Sharapova will take part in, will be switched from BBC1 to BBC2.

geldof_bob_cp_325758.jpg

Bob Geldof back in 1985

:beer:

• 4 weeks later...

McCartney, U2 Rock London Live 8 Concert

Jul 2, 9:06 AM EST

Paul McCartney and U2's Bono rocked London's Hyde Park with a rousing performance of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" on Saturday to kick off the main event in the Live 8 extravaganza rolling around the globe from Tokyo to Johannesburg.

A thunderous roar erupted from the crowd of 150,000 as the two performers belted out the first line: "It was 20 years ago today ..." — a nod to the mammoth Live Aid concerts that raised millions for African famine relief two decades ago.

Musicians and fans were gathering in 10 cities for a global music marathon to raise awareness of African poverty and pressure the world's most powerful leaders to do something about it at the Group of Eight summit in Scotland next week.

Organizer Bob Geldof promised to deliver "the greatest concert ever."

The first concert kicked off in Japan, where Bjork and Good Charlotte joined local bands for a concert that failed to generate much interest in Asia's only G-8 nation. It rolled on to Johannesburg, South Africa, where 24-year-old Zambian singer Lindiwe opened before a crowd of about 500 people that was expected to swell to 40,000.

German crowd-pleasers Die Toten Hosen kicked off Berlin's Live 8 concert, electrifying the crowd with a string of power anthems while reminding revelers that helping Africa stood above the music.

"This is no rock concert, it's a reminder about next Wednesday," singer Campino told the crowds, referring to next week's meeting of the leaders of the wealthy G8 nations to debate ways to lift African nations out of poverty.

In an open letter to the G-8 leaders, which appeared in several British newspapers Saturday, Geldof said the summit will disappoint the world if it fails to deliver an extra $25 billion in aid to Africa.

"We will not applaud half-measures, or politics as usual. This must be a historic breakthrough," the letter says. "Today there will be noise and music and joy, the joy of exuberant possibility. On Friday (the end of the summit) there will be great silence as the world awaits your verdict.

This is an historic event, like the man on the moon, like the million man march, this concert in happening in eight of the biggest cities of the world right, lots of energy towards a goal, if proven legit I think this could be a new begining for humanity, stop fucking bombing people and get together for a common goal, I can dig it.

Rolling VHS after VHS on this biatch! :bounce:

Dave Matthews just put an amazing performance

omg...i get goosebumps everytime i hear that song.....lol...

i 040.gif coldplay.....*swoon* :bowdown:

Perhaps you'll like the Steve Porter remix of Speed of Sound , if you haven't come across this already. some peeps think it's a bit overproduced. you be the judge...

:)

I'm just really partial to Richard Ashcroft. The Acid Test will be played at my funeral! LOL... Coldplay is definatly growing on me. Their melodic sounds and lyrical content have my undivided attention lately...

Perhaps you'll like the Steve Porter remix of Speed of Sound , if you haven't come across this already. some peeps think it's a bit overproduced. you be the judge...

:)

I'm just really partial to Richard Ashcroft. The Acid Test will be played at my funeral! LOL... Coldplay is definatly growing on me. Their melodic sounds and lyrical content have my undivided attention lately...

thanks...i had not it before now....:)

while i like it, i still think coldplay's music should remained untouched.....my opinion is that you never mess with perfection.