Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what's everyone's setup right now??

i see a lot of talk about dream setups and what not, but im just wondering how far behind i am from everybody..

right now im just rocking a technics m3d and a technics mk2, both in black, with 2 ortofon nightclub s cartridges.. (the yellow and black ones) with a vestax pcv-275 mixer, which i've grown to like... im thinking about upgrading to a djm500 or djm600 if i can afford it.. and i eventually wanna get a cd table... everyone here is hyping up the denon 5000 so i'll have to check it out.. but it looks like my choice is between the pioneer 800/1000 and the denon 3000/5000 how much do those bad boys run??

thanks

Rane Empath 3 channel

2 Technics 1200

2 Pioneer CDJ-800

HP Pavillion dv4000, Pentium M 1.86Ghz, 1 gig RAM 15" Screen w/M-Audio D1010LT 24-Bit 96kHz PCI Card, Ableton Live 4, m-audio oxygen 8 MIDI controller

Korg Kaoss pad

used to have a rotary mp2016 but had to ebay it cuz i needed the doe on emergency :(:cry:

will get that one again soon, the empath is very nice though. Also had a few stanton mixers in the past that were fucking SOLID. i have the cdjs and 1200s on channels 1 and 3, the computer on channel 2.

Rane Empath 3 channel

2 Technics 1200

2 Pioneer CDJ-800

HP Pavillion dv4000, Pentium M 1.86Ghz, 1 gig RAM 15" Screen w/M-Audio D1010LT 24-Bit 96kHz PCI Card, Ableton Live 4, m-audio oxygen 8 MIDI controller

Korg Kaoss pad

you have ableton??? i bought a laptop 2 months ago for the soul purpose of recording mixes and maybe final scratch but i think im gonna go with cd tables.. is ableton worth it??

Ableton is fucking amazing but im still a rookie on how to use it lol. havent figured out how to route my cdjs and tables to it so right now i just sample ahead of time so i can throw them in during the mixes. i got reason 2.5 on the laptop too so i use the midi controller to create drum loops synth loops ect. ect. while im mixing to add a lil spice

When it comes to DJ gear, in my opinion, after you hit a certain level of standard - technics,vestax,rane,denon,etc Its all the same. People get stuck in this frame of mind that after they use a specific type of gear for a while, they almsot get anxiety playing on something different. But the only reason someone may not sound as good on other gear is all a state of mind. Walking into a new booth and being intimidated fucks it all up. When you focus on using the gear and making sure your mixes are tight...your not paying attention to the mixes at all, and boom you start to hate the gear and prefer one over another. But many of us ..when we are asked to mix something on the spot on new gear (not expecting to have spun) we walk into the booth with a clear head and do whatever it is we do by insinct. But when thought is put into it..its mind over matter. Thats the way i look at it. If an artist/dj is using some kinda of higher level/standard of gear and not belt driven numarks or american djs, it really is all the same except for the slight differences which can be picked up in a matter of a few minutes.

Thats the way i look at it.

Btw, great setups! I havent jumped on the CD-Deck bandwagon, but sooner or later im going to have to :( . But just how i stated above, its all a mindfuck - shouldnt make a difference either way. So i wont let the death of vinyl get me down. (hopefully we can slow down the process though) :type:

PS- got your email AL, we will talk soon.

:laugh: werd when you post its like seeing a fucking ghost bro :)

yeah, worst thing was setting up internet access in the studios. Either @ home or working outside, it becomes so tempting whenever a free minute is available. then the 1 free minute becomes 10. Then 30. And the work sits there, lonely and unattended.

^ very true, but not when some of the poster(s) above have been around wayyyy bak since the day when everyone was ghetto and thug.

Sucks cause all the herbs who are wanna b's ruin it for the ones who played a role in the scene for years and havent changed but grown.

dal;jhfaskljfnaslmgopadgfasd

^ very true, but not when some of the poster(s) above have been around wayyyy bak since the day when everyone was ghetto and thug.

Sucks cause all the herbs who are wanna b's ruin it for the ones who played a role in the scene for years and havent changed but grown.

dal;jhfaskljfnaslmgopadgfasd

I feel that. Still sucks that everyones a dj. Too much crapppp out

I feel that. Still sucks that everyones a dj. Too much crapppp out

ive been a bedroom dj for the past 5 years... why does that suck?? it's a hobby and it keeps me entertained.. not to mention it also got me laid like 47638292 times so thats a plus too.. heh :party:

you can thank MTV Truelife Im a Clubber for that. :laugh:

i been Djing since 1997....saw that everyone started to want to be one around 2002-2003

97... wow.. i only got into edm in 99.. started buying records in summer of 00..

anybody out there lookign to start spinning??? i have 2 gemini xl 500 tables and a gemini bpm150 mixer w/ 2 trackmaster cartidges and brand new plastikman slipmatts.. $200 but very negotiable.. PM for details..

sorry for the shameless plug.. :jacked::jacked:

Ah the memories. @ 13 we would take the train down to rock n soul and downtown records every other day just to go listen to whats going on in the music production world. The days when we would travel to the flee markets in the village to pickup crappy mix tapes for 5 bucks are over. Now everyone can be aa DJ.

Start:

Programs:

Limewire:

*Download*

Instant Dj

Type in HOUSE - REMIX - TRANCE whatever, and boom, people all of a sudden know it all without any experience.

Curious about the rave scene? GOOGLE. Now i know everything about the culture and i can start acting it. People no longer truly need experience. Those who seek it, obtain it. While others just copy and paste the info into their brains.

Yeah its weird how things change.

Although honestly, it doesnt matter. The good and the bad come with everything. The people who really love the aspects of this industry - will stick with it. Those who dont and are on the trend, will leave. No use getting upset over it. We do it for ourselves, not for others. So why care what role everyone else plays?

Its all good.

Ah the memories. @ 13 we would take the train down to rock n soul and downtown records every other day just to go listen to whats going on in the music production world. The days when we would travel to the flee markets in the village to pickup crappy mix tapes for 5 bucks are over. Now everyone can be aa DJ.

Start:

Programs:

Limewire:

*Download*

Instant Dj

Type in HOUSE - REMIX - TRANCE whatever, and boom, people all of a sudden know it all without any experience.

Curious about the rave scene? GOOGLE. Now i know everything about the culture and i can start acting it. People no longer truly need experience. Those who seek it, obtain it. While others just copy and paste the info into their brains.

Yeah its weird how things change.

Although honestly, it doesnt matter. The good and the bad come with everything. The people who really love the aspects of this industry - will stick with it. Those who dont and are on the trend, will leave. No use getting upset over it. We do it for ourselves, not for others. So why care what role everyone else plays?

Its all good.

i see what you are saying and you're painting a pretty grim picture but im getting the feeling that edm in the mainstream is kinda on the way out... with everyone eating up that reggaeton bullshit :cuss: the clubs are starting to play that more and more, which means girls would rather shake their asses to that, which means guys will follow... hopefully..

i see what you are saying and you're painting a pretty grim picture but im getting the feeling that edm in the mainstream is kinda on the way out... with everyone eating up that reggaeton bullshit :cuss: the clubs are starting to play that more and more, which means girls would rather shake their asses to that, which means guys will follow... hopefully..

I guess, only thing that bothers me is that because of the internet, labels are VERY cautious with what tracks they buy and who they hire to do flip-side remixes. Too many people stealing music, and too many cd djs make it hard for the labels to invest money into marketing their music.

When back in the day, a label would get 10 submissions a month as apose to now where they get like 600 from kids making shit on acid and reason and thinking they will be superstars(instead of taking a more mature angle -which would be go to school, learn to engineer, read books,save up and buy the right gear, learn midi) but no. now everyone wants everything to be instant. So labels hear crap record after crap record and they are now clinging on to the few who they can depend on to produce quality productions. Leaving the doors closed to the newer artists who have been attracted to EDM after many of us.

The balance is off in this industry. Things will even out again. But its a ruff time for those who are respecting it as a bussiness and not a trend.

(hence the popularity of tribal)

im going to get so much crap for this but many seem to agree.

easier to spin.

easier to produce due to percussion being its main element

minimal filters and efx(besides standard reverb/delays on independant channels)

and melodies are limited (sometimes non existant, so music theory is not needed, but w/ other types of EDM - music theory is very important - one must know notes,chords, to match up basslines with leads-etc.

BUT - i must say, i cant generalize, there are MANY tribal artists/djs who deserve EVERY bit of credit they have. BUT since in the topic of saturation, many of us will notice that 50% of the record stores are stocked with minimal tribal music. One major pro though, is that the more minimal the record is, the more flexibility one is left with to experiment.

Ok , now im out for good. I enjoyed shooting the shit with you guys.

Regards.

DJ Setup

2 Technics SL-1210MK5G 30th anniversary

2 Technics SL-DZ1200

Rane Empath Mixer

Dell Inspiron 8200 2.2GHz, 1GB RAM, running Ableton 4.0 w/controlling keyboard

Kaos Pad 2

DAW

Dell Dimension 2.8 GHz, 1GB Ram, 2 monitors, running Cubase SX3

MOTU 24 I/O

2 Mackie HR 824s w/ 12" Mackie Sub

Focurite VoiceMaster Pro w/ Neuman TLM-103

Triton w/ Sample Card

Novation SuperNova 2

Nord Lead 2

Roland MC-909

Mad other sound modules, Plug-ins, FX, Compressors, etc.