Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bernard Hopkins vs. Jermain Taylor

zeeker

fuck that.

name one half decent fighter taylors ever beat.

seriously name one.

(and dont even fucking say marquez or joppy)

well, they were both World Champions...i think that qualifies them as being at least halfway decent.

joppy is a pretty decent fighter , but yeah Jermain hasnt fought anyone that great ,but how long can Hopkins keep it up ??hes fuckin 40 now and been kickin ass for over a decade now

sooner or later one of these young guys wiht a lot less talent than he ever had will tag him

that being said i dont think its gonna be this time

one more for the executionahhhhhh

Think about it - Hopkins hasn't really beaten a really good middleweight in years. De La Hoya and Tito weren't true middleweights and were eaten alive by Hopkins.

He lost to Jones and beaten Glen Johnson before he became the polished fighter that he his now. Taylor is a true middleweight, has a lot of talent and a nasty jab that'll keep Hopkins at bay. As long as he stays away from a Hopkins "shitfest" style - he'll at least win by decision or by late round KO.

ok you have a point but heres the thing... even if DLH and Tito are just blown up welterwights theyre still way tougher opponents than anyone Taylor has fought.

I dont really think Glen Johnson is polished fighter at all. Hes just a hard worker that never quits. Hes kind of a hackjob actually.

Stymie's gonna hate this, but, it's better for boxing if Taylor wins. Hopkins is near retirement. He's already solidified himself as the best middleweight of his time. If he loses, okay, he probably won't be considered among best middleweights of all time, but frankly I'm not sure he is either way. Is he as good as Hagler was? Hearns? Ehhh no. If Taylor wins, we'll have years and years of title defenses to look forward to. I'm not just saying I hope Taylor wins, I'm saying I hope Taylor really is as good as the hype around him, I hope he really is good enough to beat the likes of Hopkins. That to me would be exciting.

joppy WAS an above average fighter at best... WAS

and mike tyson was a world champion too, whats your point?

whats the definition of an average fighter? being ranked in the top 10 in the world at your weight class means he is one of the 10 best guys at his weight in the entire world. I don't know how one of the 10 best fighters in the world in a weight class translates into being only an average fighter. Keep it in perspective.

I'll back Stymie on that. By all accounts, Joppy was half the fighter he once was when he fought Taylor, and his impending exile from the sport was well known. He was supposed to lose to Taylor. Nothing much for Taylor to pride himself on winning that fight. Just good that he didn't blow it.

No question Taylor won the early rounds CONVINCINGLY. And no question Hopkins won the late rounds. Overall, I thought Taylor won more rounds than Hopkins, and I thought Taylor fought harder in the late rounds he lost than Hopkins fought in the early rounds that he lost. But I understand that it's a paramount principle of boxing scoring that the late rounds win the fight. It's for that reason that Tito got the decision over De la Hoya years ago. So ultimately, it was a really really close fight, and Hopkins certainly has an argument that he should've won. That being said, now the rematch will be a money-making monster for all parties involved, whereas had Hopkins won, no one would've been interested in a rematch. Was it a fix? Maybe so. But at least the hardcorp Hopkins fans have to admit Taylor probably fought better than they expected him to, and by no means did Hopkins kick Taylor's ass, as perhaps the seasoned veteran and reigning champion should have.

ill have to wait to see the replay of the fight but form what i read and hearing , Taylor def. had the better part of the fight early on and B-hop ccame on late.

but as discussed arlier in the thread hopkins is getting old and taylor is a legit big man not a pumped up welter weight

taken off maxboxing.com

doug fischer...

I scored the fight 116-112 for Hard Nard, as did David Mayo (Grand Rapids Press), Keith Idec (New Jersey Herald News), David Avila (Riverside Press Enterprise), Ramiro Gonzalez (La Opinion), Ron Borges (Boston Globe), and Tim Smith (New York Daily News). Steve Kim, Robert Morales (San Gabriel Valley Tribune & L.A. Daily News), Franklin McNeil (New Jersey Star-Ledger) and Ivan Goldman (The Ring) had it 117-111 for B-Hops. Joe Santoliquito (The Ring) had it 116-113 for Hopkins. Michael Katz (who covered the fight for Reuters), Max Kellerman (who was part of the HBO PPV broadcast team), Bernard Fernandez (Philadelphia Daily News), Kevin Iole (Las Vegas Review-Journal) and Paul Upham (secondsout.com) had it 115-113 for EX. The Associated Press had Hopkins up 114-113. Dan Rafael (ESPN.com) and Jerry Magee (San Diego Union-Tribune) saw it even, 114-114.