Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Hit or Miss" DJs…

philippio

Okay, admittedly every dj has a bad night on the 1200’s once in a while. After all, they are human like the rest of us. But in your personal experiences, what dj’s have you seen on MORE THAN 2 occasions that have really been hit or miss in your honest opinion based on your own musical tastes? And please be realistic… don’t say you like deep house and then claim that Paul Oakenfold sucked once 'cause he played none. Here’s my list:

Deep Dish – Back when I liked them, I had heard 2 sets of theirs at Arc (NYC) that really impressed me. Then a set at Venue in Athens 2 years ago put me to sleep. In my opinion, they simply have been sucked dry of any remaining creativity and have really lost those cutting edge skills that people were clinging to from 1997-2000.

Danny Tenaglia – It really hurts for me to say this but his sets in Miami these days really don't do anything for me. In my opinion, they are not as well crafted as the sets I’ve heard from him so many times at Vinyl and Arc. As I interpret it, he is trying too much to blend his style to fit that hard tribal and "big room" sound that Miami is used to. Right now, I would be very willing to spend the money on airfare for a chance to catch him where he plays his best (NYC).

Sasha & John Digweed – A duo that I used to love to hear, had impressed me on numerous occasions. Separate performances at Groove Orlando had me floored as well as Digweed’s set at Crobar during WMC’01 (I think it was the year that Sasha was in the car accident and missed WMC due to a concussion). An extended set by both dj’s at the Cipriani Ballroom in NYC (Thanksgiving 2002) was very bland and disappointing, music-wise.

Djinji Brown – I have heard this resident Aquabooty dj so many times and his track selection always amazes me. What amazes me even more is the inconsistency of his sets (not based on track selection but on beat-matching and transitions). Hands down, his best performance was at Gryphon on the July 3rd, 2005. Numerous other notable nights were his opening set for Osunlade (at Gryphon) and for DHM and Neil Aline also at Gryphon. His most disappointing set, for me, was opening night at Nocturnal.

Danny Howells – I heard one great set of his at Arc (one of the Made parties just when it changed name from Vinyl). If I were to call it his one "hit" set, every other time I heard him spin (mostly back to back with Tenaglia), Howells’ sets were definitely "misses!"

Mark Leventhal – One of Miami’s best hip-hop dj’s has really impressed me at Crobar the last few Fridays that I was there (mainly for the SOTU party). Specifically, early in his sets he plays lots of funk and old-skool hip hop. Although he mostly uses the CDJs, he still takes the time to craft his sets around plenty of skillful scratching (without overdoing it). I first saw him at Mynt in 2003 (I think) and I was impressed and then a few times wondering through Crobar’s VIP on Fridays had me clueless as to why he’s playing the washed out uber-commercial hip-hop that you hear all day long on the radio when he’s really got the ability to play some really good records.

Joey Andron – Admittedly, a couple of his sets at Crobar’s Attic were too "trancy" for my taste. As of late, he’s really been playing tracks that very few other dj’s like to play for fear that no one will recognize them. His set in Crobar’s main room (opening for Ralph Falcon) wasn't

"my cup of tea" but later in the Attic, someone hit the power switch on originality and creativity and it was jammed in the "on" position all night! His early evening set at the Chesterfield was equally refreshing.

Kaskade – He rocked Orlando twice (once accompanied by top notch live percussion). At Amika, he bombed and bored the living shit out of me.

:D

renzo says that i'm a hit or miss dj because i don't take requests :finger:

I think Renzo is “missing†the point. What does taking/not taking requests have anything to do with being “hit or miss� There are djs that will take requests all night long, week in and week out, and play really well on a consistent basis and others that will play exactly what people want to hear (but without caving in to specific requests) that will also play consistently from set to set. :D

Lee Burridge

Roger Sanchez

Louie D

Don't know what's wrong with Lee as of late. Used to follow him everywhere he played. From Mia. to London he always threw down great sets and lately hes been playing staight up electro-house and acid house which is boring the hell out of me. Don't get me wrong, I like acid and electro, but when a dj plays that all night long it gets on my nerves. Any dj who just plays one style all night wiil bore me. And that's why he's becomoe a hit or miss. (At least in his U.S. gigs <except for wmc>)

:laugh2:

Renzo wants to be a DJ :)

Actually, I think he could. He's very knowledgeable about music. Actually, he's pretty knowledgeable, period. So he could get a good job, make some money to buy turntables and learn to spin. I couyld see that happening. :D