Clubplanet Nightlife Community

for producers of progressive house...

it doesn't really matter what style you make.

good programs to start out with if you don't know what's what is either fruityloops <~~~It's good cause if you're a newbie, it can be really basic.

then there's Reason, Digital Performer, Project 5. those are all in one packages. i'm not 100% sure about digital performer though. and then there are the good stuff like nuendo, live and cubase sx. i use reason 3.0 and i'm learning cubase sx now so let me know if you have any particular questions about these.

and there are many more, but these are the biggest ones

hey man,

your best bet would be getting Logic 7, it's a steep learning curve but once

you "get it" you'll be happy you put in the time. it comes with some sweet audio instruments and plug-ins, it's only for mac osx though but totally worth it.

dl demos of the programs first. i think you should get something not as expensive as logic 7 because then you'll see if programing is really for you. programming has a steep learning curve and if you get something like logic as your first program, you'll might get discouraged.

dl demos of the programs first. i think you should get something not as expensive as logic 7 because then you'll see if programing is really for you. programming has a steep learning curve and if you get something like logic as your first program, you'll might get discouraged.

i totally understand your point on that. but my argument is, IMO logic is the top sequencing program, especially for electronic music, so why not just bite the bullet and start from the top of the food chain. but yes. if you don't wanna drop the $1,000. DP4, Reason, Even Pro-tools LE will work well.. i'd also say get an m-audio interface. it's pretty cheap.. and is now compatible with pro-tools.

what are some of the good hardware/software to start off with? :beer:

Do Not Look Around or talk to Nobody, Do as I say (In the Long run you'll understand why) Hardware (if possible) Mac G5...Sound Card -Mini Box Fierwire-based Pro tools.... Logic 7 Pro (A Must)

This is a Basic set -up.... You can make music with any program and any type of computer, it’s all going to come down to you and your creativity...but... Later will come to realize that the combination of MAC/LOGIC is much superior

It's not going to be easy Logic will piss you off a ton, but it's worth the struggle once you master it.

Good Luck

congrats on getting into production! it is more addictive than crack, and more fun too.

i'm partial to having knobs, buttons and keys - IMHO making music is really frustrating without a good control surface. control surfaces are just boxes that have sliders, knobs and buttons that you can setup to do whatever you want in the software. much better then sitting there like a moron clicking with your mouse all the time.

i've built my studio with MIDI connected sequencers and synthesizers - and I think that the new virus (http://www.access-music.de) is the best synth in existance. just one note is enough to alter the phases of the moon. unfortunately, it is really expensive. This is the problem with only buying hardware - it really puts any piece of software to shame, but it is so damn expensive and you can't upgrade it once you buy it... and they keep on makin new hardware that fixes all the problems you've had with your old hardware....

Thus, after spending a sh*tload of money on hardware, if i had the chance to do it over again I would choose any program (they are all pretty much the same, i don't care what anybody says) and get a really good control surface. then in order to expand, you just need to add plugins, and perhaps some outboard dsps once you start burning holes in your cpu.

Also, nobody mentioned abelton live. i've liked messing around with it. I TA'd a class in protools and it is extremely powerful, but unless you blow $2k on a DIGI or you spend a week memorizing keyboard shortcuts it is counter-intuitive. it takes some time getting used to in order to get it to do what you want smoothly.

The most important thing is to try different things, and stay wary of the trap: there are plenty of people with gear that think they're producers but for some reason have never actually cut a record (or cut a good record) are very jaded. they will try and tell you what kind of music you should make, and what gear is crap and why house is dead or trance is dumb, etc. unfortunately, these are also the people who are interested in talking about production and gear all the time. they usually know their stuff, but resist the urge to let these morons affect your taste in music.

I just recently obtained Logic Express 7.1 and went mad mad mad buying tons of samples for it. If you need some samples for your music making, lemme know and I'll give you a select few. I think sharing samples might be a no-no so if it is let me know and I'll remove this offer...

i have quite a large library of samples you can start off with

i have quite a large library of samples you can start off with

When I get home tonight I'll post a link to the CD's/samples I have. If anyone is interested in trading samples, I'm all for that.

If anyone is interested in giving feedback, my 1st orig song is http://www.cjmikey.com/istillhaveadream.mp3

If you have an original song too, I'd love to hear it.

When I get home tonight I'll post a link to the CD's/samples I have. If anyone is interested in trading samples, I'm all for that.

If anyone is interested in giving feedback, my 1st orig song is http://www.cjmikey.com/istillhaveadream.mp3

If you have an original song too, I'd love to hear it.

Selector Trust

http://www.clubexl.com/mp3s/selector_trust.mp3

and

a sample

http://www.clubexl.com/mp3s/sample.mp3