Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lawler Review

All hail the King of Space.....

Got there around 3ish, unfortunately left 6:15(anyone know when it ended) as had to drop off a friend at the airport

-

All I can say is Lawler has been getting bad reviews lately, mainly because he is moving away from his old sound and adopting a new electro house type thing, but he was on point @ Spirit

-

Around 5ish on dropping bomb after bomb imo, great vibe, plenty of room to dance

-

Anyone know the name of the track he dropped around 5, had a female vocal saying "I wanna be"????(i think it was i wanna be, im actualy kind of shot now!)

-

Heard around 4-5 tracks from the new compilation.....

And to top if off around 6 he dropped "situation" from the 80's

All in all killer set, enjoyed it better than last time @ spirit

www.kinetikamusic.com

Im going to make this review short and sweet. First off anyone who doubts Sean Miller is mistaken. I really enjoyed his opening set, it set the mood perfectly for me. Then came Lawler's assault. I went into this a little skeptical because everyone said he is playing differently now. Musically this night was crazy. I left around 6 because everyone I came with was tired but lawler was really killing it. Like kinetika said he play a few tracks from his light out 3 cd and they sounded so amazing on spirit's sound system especially Alex Dolby - Obsessive Sound I went nuts when I heard that. There was a good amount of people in there but it def wasnt over crowded. Lawler seemed to be enjoying himself in the booth, and the crowd had a pretty good vibe, althought it could of been alittle better. All in all I give the night 4 1/2 stars out of 5. After last night Lawler is on my list of dj's to see everytime they come around.

great fuckin nite! to answer ur question, he ended about 7. played some real old school stuff the last half hour or so--Robert Owens-Ill Be Your Friend, Alcatraz-Give Me Luv (TKC), and some others i cant remember.

and ill admit i was wrong! i said we shouldnt expect to hear any tribal from him, but for aqbout 45 min i guess he dropped some. i think that was somewhere around 5:30-6. dropped alot of tracks off the new cd...Obsessive Sound, Hugs N Kisses (my personal fav), Drop Big Bombs, Suicide Sports Club-I Dont Know, Rhythmique. also dropped one of my fav tracks at the moment Captain Hook.

other than that just bomb after bomb after bomb, some i recognized, some blew me away. his whole set was great, and im glad we got 5 hours out of him.

sean miller was great in my opinion too. thought he was great last time too. talked to him a little bit, he was cool.

Gary man, your a life-saver. I recognized some tracks but most tracks I didnt know. I knew he dropped something I got off beatport but I couldnt put my finger on it. Captain Hook was it, and it sounded really good. Thanks man it has been driving me crazy that i couldnt figure it out.

Gary man, your a life-saver. I recognized some tracks but most tracks I didnt know. I knew he dropped something I got off beatport but I couldnt put my finger on it. Captain Hook was it, and it sounded really good. Thanks man it has been driving me crazy that i couldnt figure it out.

i went nuts when that track came on. ppl around me gave me that look like wut the fuck u so excited about? obviously they dont know the track haha. i bugged out the hardest the Capt Hook & Hugs N Kisses. that sounded nasty on that big system. and i thought it sounded sick in my car

Gary, I had the same reaction from ppl around me too lol. When you hear a track you have at home in a club it's just 10 x better. Not only because the sound system is great but also it just has a different effect because you consider it your track. All I know is I once again I cant wait for lawler to come back, it better be soon.

at bottom is my review of lawler at spirit in june. his set was generally similar last night. strangely enough, some people didnt like lawlers june electro set, and some older fans of his on his site or DTs also are less into his new sound.

[the reviews of last night have been great from almost all concerned- and they shld be it was a storming powerful set].

as you see from my june review below I embraced it immediately & thought it was a brave & interesting turn for his sound.

quick thoughts on last night: sean miller was a more than decent opener. I liked exacta's 'flippin' he played a few more tracks that you hear around. I didnt think he was holding back too much- Im glad- lawler is dj enough to follow any opener i know of.

I thought the crowd was excellent at spirit last night lots of smiles, everyone grooving to the sound. met some cool peeps like claudia & dan. [hope you both come for dt next friday].

as I say lawler was similar to june. his new sound is powerful. I call it an electro sound. it also resembles in parts oakey's goa sound circa 1994. and also a bit like talla 2xlc's german electro-hard-trance I heard 12/31/00 at shadow lounge in miami. [on occasion howells and even sander or sanchez will dip into a somewhat similar techy-electro-house].

but lawlers sound is even harder, nastier, darker.

lawler came on at 2:. he laid out pretty quick what the night was going to sound like. by 3: he was into some killer tracks, id say at least 4 or 5 major bombs per hour.

I had to bounce by 4:30 cos of rain & had danced too much but the 4-4:30 set was even better more big hard tunes. june spirit set he played til 6. If id known he was going til 7 I might have stayed til 5-6 just to see what else he brought.

sounds like he played some tribal in there- very cool. did he dip into any stricter house or progressive by 5-6-7?

ok a few more thoughts on the other side:

I find his new sound slightly cold & repetitious. hes finding tons of tracks [and editing-remixing too, like an electro 'trisco muzak' mix] that are all perfect together, but its somewhat opressive & same-y. hes clobbering us over the head with hard electro when he used to seduce us with sexier house.

I know i missed the 2nd half of his set last night but in june he whipped out a few poppier-vocal-house tracks [sander style] at the end that really shone after the pounding electro.

I actually miss lawlers housey sound. in retrospect i think his march 04 crobar house/progg set and his nov 04 roxy house set were actually better overall than his electro sets.

dont get me wrong lawlers been GREAT in 2005 & i will go everytime for him cos he so awesome & his crowd is very knowledgable & music-driven, but on balance i realize I liked his housier 04 sets more.

then again I bet lawler changes again & evolves his new sound into something else again- and it will be modern and even futuristic.

last nights set/spirit ****1/4 out of 5 stars.

Im sure if i stayed til 5-6-7 It would be even higher.

june review below:

friday , June 17, 2005

steve lawler electro

totally agree lawler's music was off the charts. it was the hardest set Ive ever heard him play. started out with a couple tribal percussion pieces then went right into the dominant style for the next 4 hours- fast electro very german sounding, shades of tech-house in there too.

usually Ive heard lawler play progressive with nasty basslines & a generally dark house flavour with a few poppy highs.

he did bring a couple strong progressive house jams in the middle- to later set, but primarly he was playing fast electro, not the piddly synth doodles that make most 'electro' so annoying- we're talking HUGE stomping german sounding electro, almost industtrial at points. think kraftwerk's darkest material with the gothic chords & the beat turned up too 11.

there was at least 1 filetred soul-vocal number, but even that was set against a churning dark tech-house bed.

I think lawler took a risk with his set, showing us the state of the art of tech-house-electro-progressive.

it was a harder, fiercer style than the normally chugging progressive house we heard at crobar and roxy in 2004. it was faster darker harder more evil.

lawler looked different with the beartd i thought he had been talken over by the evil village people side of his personality.

kept me interested from start circa 1:30- all te way til past 5:.

when he went back to the 'house that jack built' with a dark progressive mix, i knew he had shown us what he had prepared.

unless i missed a different sound/style for the 5:30-6: am encores?

there were some cool people for sure, i enjoyed hanging on the leather sofas & then when i walked to the dancefloor bar like 4:30 i saw more energy & a few hottys there. but in a way it was a fairly mangled crowd, not exactly rammed crowded but not a bad turnout either. i hope lawler comes back later in the year,

maybe november? hes on my shortlist of djs go to every time.

i loved his crobar & roxy sets in 2004 and this one was just as great, if impressive partly for the boldness of his fierce electro & techy/industrial.

its a sound that not every 2005 progg house dj can pull off but lawler rocked it hardcore for hours.

actually if you want to know what it sounded like at times, ever heard oakenfold's goa style circa 1994-95? or the best hard parts of the fluoro cds, not the orchestral interludes, i mean the squalchy fast goa/hard trance/electro? thats what a lot of lawlers reminded me of a dark electro almost industrial with unrelenting rhythms and huge germanic chord structures.

I'd ratre the night 4-1/2 stars out of possible 5 stars, maybe even pushing lawler's musical rating up to ****3/4.

All hail the King of Space.....

Got there around 3ish, unfortunately left 6:15(anyone know when it ended) as had to drop off a friend at the airport

-

All I can say is Lawler has been getting bad reviews lately, mainly because he is moving away from his old sound and adopting a new electro house type thing, but he was on point @ Spirit

-

Around 5ish on dropping bomb after bomb imo, great vibe, plenty of room to dance

-

Anyone know the name of the track he dropped around 5, had a female vocal saying "I wanna be"????(i think it was i wanna be, im actualy kind of shot now!)

-

Heard around 4-5 tracks from the new compilation.....

And to top if off around 6 he dropped "situation" from the 80's

All in all killer set, enjoyed it better than last time @ spirit

www.kinetikamusic.com

The track you are Looking for is

Club 69 - Twisted (Bailey & Acid Mix)

there was a track he played at exactly 4:05 with a killer deep bassline, and with high pitch male vocals... i found it to be THE highlight of the night... unfortunately since i was drunk thats all i could really remember, i dont recall what the words were... does anyone know what i'm talking about ?

EDIT: i found it... Planet Funk - Stop me (King Unique Electric Itch dub)

this track is a masterpiece

Had a blast dancing all night long....loved when he played Fight Club - Spread Love i dont know if it was a new mix, acca but it sounded great had me going very progressive....Lawler seemed to be doing the electro thing then getting into tribal mode then back to electro and when I left at 6 it seemed he was finishing with tribal I loved it the music was hard all night long and one positive about last night was I was able to smoke a cig on the stairs so I wouldn't miss any bombs plus the smoking room can be disgusting when everyone is jammed in there anyways back to the review...Steve was into the music big time jumpin up and down on breaks and drops his work on the efx box was sick as well hope to see him back very soon all and all in one of the best sets I've heard in my life

moment made my night was when I held up my Lights Out 3 cd cover and I got a nice smile and thumbs up from Lawler

Lawler Was Absolutely Insane!!!!! One Of The Best Sets I've Heard Him Play

ITS BEEN 5 months since I hit up a club in the city...LAWLER was definetly the DJ to wake me the fuk up and get my ass back over there...He kept us movin on the floor all night long! GREAT NITE!

DT FRIDAY