Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Shine: Review...

philippio

There's a new kid on the SoBe block and it sure knows how to lure the fine girls! :drool:

I'll start by saying that I was grateful to have gotten there early (not only to avoid the mob but also because there was open bar on ALL drinks including top shelf liquor until 11pm). As I walked through the hotel lobby, restaurant staff was offering hors d'oeuvres.

In line with any venue's grand opening, the door into the main room was a zoo. It was to be expected. I'm sure issues will get ironed out in the first few weeks. With the night's greetings out of the way (Jon Cowan and Eddy Guerra were extremely gracious hosts and very accomodating toward CPers attempting to get in later on), I proceeded to do a "walk-around" of the room just to hear the way the sound is distributed while Kelvin Andrews was spinning (more on the music later). I must say I was very impressed. The low gradient amphitheatric layout focuses the sound toward the dancefloor, allowing people on all the levels immediately above to mingle and converse with great ease (without having to talk over the music).

The bars are strategically located for easy access (and Talmage, in her naughty schoolgirl outfit, certainly transformed alcohol consumption into a pleasant distraction :eek: ) and traffic flow inside was actually acceptable. My only issue is that if one needs to use the bathroom (for whatever reason), one has to leave the room by way of the main entrance (unless you have a wristband for VIP access in which case you can exit through those doors). Luckily, re-entry is permitted (without having to wait in line), provided you have a stamp. Men's room is accomodating, with the usual fleet of colognes and "eaux de toilette" and a friendly and sociable bathroom attendant. I think (I could be wrong) that smoking is not permitted in the main room which might disappoint some people but I liked that I walked out and my clothes do not wreak of lingering cigarette smoke! :smoke:

I was particularly impressed by Kelvin Andrews' opening set. As people slowly filtered in, he played the perfect soundtrack for the essential "meet & greets" and light conversation amongst friends. No anthems or any of that. Just subtle downtempo, ambient, tech house and a couple of breakbeat tracks to warm up the room. His mixing was top notch and I was glad that I've found another dj who knows how to open up a room with class. :bowdown:

I think it was about 1:30am by the time Mark Farina took the reigns of the dj booth. I have to say, I was not at all impressed with his set so I left at 2:45 (someone will have to fill me in on how he played after that). Maybe it was just me but I found it somewhat monotonous :bored:. It didn't have that trademark bumpiness and I found it lacked those funky elements that one has almost come to expect of one of the top house djs in the game. Personally, I would have loved it if he went off into his mushroom jazz world (although I'm sure he would have lost many people had he done that). But, the dancefloor was quite full. There was a healthy abundance of beautiful women everywhere I turned yet, as a whole, I wouldn't say the crowd was musically oriented. I think that goes hand in hand with opening night of a venue (as many people will just show up to "see and be seen").

All in all, it was a fun night and I'll certainly be back to the venue soon. It was fun hanging out with friends and seeing so many familiar faces. :D

The Venue

The venue itself definitly met my expectations after having seen it two weeks prior.

The most impressive aspects.

1) expansive dance floor despite the smaller size of the room

2) fantastic sound system- you can actually talk to others when your not on the dance floor. the bass while your on the floor though shakes your insides for sure

3) lights-not overdone.. it gets the job done.

entering the shelborne one was greeted by the Buckingham Palace styled guards as I was previously informed.

Inside tons of gorgeous women in evening gowns were lounging about. servers were distributing appetizers to all (classsy)

the lounge had a great size crowd... not my kind of music though (top 40's hip hop (mariah carey.. MJ.... some more mainstream stuff... but the crowd was into it ... so thats pretty much all that matters)

Outside in the grand lobby two "live statutes" were performing with torches. (they were awesome)..... that stuff is so hard its just amazing to watch em.

the restaurant was slammed and the pool area was PACKED. went to the pool area to chill and they had artists painting some stuff and displaying their wares....

many decided to lounge outside in the various tables and have some drinks..... (great stuff very conference and classy type feel)

Grand Ballroom

If there is only one complaint though minor is it was a bit hot. I know i read on the board of the same issue the nite before as well, and must agree

I want to thank Eddy and especially Jon for hooking us up with the bands so as to avoid the opening weekend door issues (as any new venue will have. regardless of the venue)

The staff was decked out in sexy school girl outfits (including T)

I have decided I need to come up with a nickname for T now that Giselle has tried her concoctions. two jack and coke's and she was good to go...... Gonna think of a name for her ..... cant really go with "assassinette" soooooo lol

Dancers in the ballroom were great. they had the lights on their head and hands. (ive seen them before at crobar and nocturnal but not often enough).... they danced together on the floor and then took to the bars and on top of the speaker boxes.

KELVIN ANDREWS

did a great job as an opener. IMHO he did exactly what an opener should do. he SET THE MOOD

he played downtempo, ambient, techy house for the most part slowly progressing to more banging beats before farina took over.

THough it was not really a "main act" type of set, it proves his versatility as a performer.

Mark Farina

Around 1:10 Farina takes the decks. Mind you I have only seen him once before for 10 min at the OM party and I did not care for his set. Neverthelesss I have heard amazing sets from this man both albums. live sets (housearrestevents.net) -amazing jackin chicago house.

Tonite he disappointed me once more. THough i was there for only an hour till 2 ( he might have delved more undgeround and jackish' later. for all i know) but the time i was there it just "didnt sound like farina"

even before I said anything my amiga giselle says . "hes playing too mainstream" . losing my interest i went outside where the tunes from the ballroom could be heard.

pool area was still packed. (guys did a great job with the pool area)

overall the crowd at shine at least to me was comprised of a combination of an older more distinguished crowd and also a lot of very attractive young women. (def my cup of tea)

w/ kelvin andrews at the helm of shine musically the venue will def give miami someting "different" . mostly everything he played this evening was stuff i rarely hear in miami.

Notables in the house that I saw were: Oscar G, members of DHM and Jaime. and of course a large CJ crew

see you all for Tsettos on Wed Nov 23rd gonna be sweet!!!

I wasn't feeling too well, so I stayed home...thanks Stogie for the invite, trust me, I wasn't a happy camper knowing that I was going to miss this one, but hopefully I'll get to see the place soon.

congrats on the grand opening Shine, best of lucks.

peace

Funk!~

get well soon burrito. hopefully u dont have the same bug i caught.... its a nasty little bitch.......

There's a new kid on the SoBe block and it sure knows how to lure the fine girls! :drool:

I'll start by saying that I was grateful to have gotten there early (not only to avoid the mob but also because there was open bar on ALL drinks including top shelf liquor until 11pm). As I walked through the hotel lobby, restaurant staff was offering hors d'oeuvres.

In line with any venue's grand opening, the door into the main room was a zoo. It was to be expected. I'm sure issues will get ironed out in the first few weeks. With the night's greetings out of the way (Jon Cowan and Eddy Guerra were extremely gracious hosts and very accomodating toward CPers attempting to get in later on), I proceeded to do a "walk-around" of the room just to hear the way the sound is distributed while Kelvin Andrews was spinning (more on the music later). I must say I was very impressed. The low gradient amphitheatric layout focuses the sound toward the dancefloor, allowing people on all the levels immediately above to mingle and converse with great ease (without having to talk over the music).

The bars are strategically located for easy access (and Talmage, in her naughty schoolgirl outfit, certainly transformed alcohol consumption into a pleasant distraction :eek: ) and traffic flow inside was actually acceptable. My only issue is that if one needs to use the bathroom (for whatever reason), one has to leave the room by way of the main entrance (unless you have a wristband for VIP access in which case you can exit through those doors). Luckily, re-entry is permitted (without having to wait in line), provided you have a stamp. Men's room is accomodating, with the usual fleet of colognes and "eaux de toilette" and a friendly and sociable bathroom attendant. I think (I could be wrong) that smoking is not permitted in the main room which might disappoint some people but I liked that I walked out and my clothes do not wreak of lingering cigarette smoke! :smoke:

I was particularly impressed by Kelvin Andrews' opening set. As people slowly filtered in, he played the perfect soundtrack for the essential "meet & greets" and light conversation amongst friends. No anthems or any of that. Just subtle downtempo, ambient, tech house and a couple of breakbeat tracks to warm up the room. His mixing was top notch and I was glad that I've found another dj who knows how to open up a room with class. :bowdown:

I think it was about 1:30am by the time Mark Farina took the reigns of the dj booth. I have to say, I was not at all impressed with his set so I left at 2:45 (someone will have to fill me in on how he played after that). Maybe it was just me but I found it somewhat monotonous :bored:. It didn't have that trademark bumpiness and I found it lacked those funky elements that one has almost come to expect of one of the top house djs in the game. Personally, I would have loved it if he went off into his mushroom jazz world (although I'm sure he would have lost many people had he done that). But, the dancefloor was quite full. There was a healthy abundance of beautiful women everywhere I turned yet, as a whole, I wouldn't say the crowd was musically oriented. I think that goes hand in hand with opening night of a venue (as many people will just show up to "see and be seen").

All in all, it was a fun night and I'll certainly be back to the venue soon. It was fun hanging out with friends and seeing so many familiar faces.

:laugh:

i thought farina was on point! it's not often that i hit the clubs anymore, but this was well worth it. from the beginning of his set till the time i left he had me enjoying every minute of it. only drawback was the mission of getting to and from the bathroom.

phil, thanks again for the hookup.

I had a good time, the crowd was great really mixed, every bar in the place had a crowd going, and both rooms were packed, the pool area also had a lot of people there.......:pint:

hey stogiey run on sentences are kool cause you have to figure out where one starts and one ends but thats cool because you are a cool guy and we like you on here and also your nic on here is cool so keep posting like that :D

The Venue

The venue itself definitly met my expectations after having seen it two weeks prior.

The most impressive aspects.

1) expansive dance floor despite the smaller size of the room

2) fantastic sound system- you can actually talk to others when your not on the dance floor. the bass while your on the floor though shakes your insides for sure

3) lights-not overdone.. it gets the job done.

entering the shelborne one was greeted by the Buckingham Palace styled guards as I was previously informed.

Inside tons of gorgeous women in evening gowns were lounging about. servers were distributing appetizers to all (classsy)

the lounge had a great size crowd... not my kind of music though (top 40's hip hop (mariah carey.. MJ.... some more mainstream stuff... but the crowd was into it ... so thats pretty much all that matters)

Outside in the grand lobby two "live statutes" were performing with torches. (they were awesome)..... that stuff is so hard its just amazing to watch em.

the restaurant was slammed and the pool area was PACKED. went to the pool area to chill and they had artists painting some stuff and displaying their wares....

many decided to lounge outside in the various tables and have some drinks..... (great stuff very conference and classy type feel)

Grand Ballroom

If there is only one complaint though minor is it was a bit hot. I know i read on the board of the same issue the nite before as well, and must agree

I want to thank Eddy and especially Jon for hooking us up with the bands so as to avoid the opening weekend door issues (as any new venue will have. regardless of the venue)

The staff was decked out in sexy school girl outfits (including T)

I have decided I need to come up with a nickname for T now that Giselle has tried her concoctions. two jack and coke's and she was good to go...... Gonna think of a name for her ..... cant really go with "assassinette" soooooo lol

Dancers in the ballroom were great. they had the lights on their head and hands. (ive seen them before at crobar and nocturnal but not often enough).... they danced together on the floor and then took to the bars and on top of the speaker boxes.

KELVIN ANDREWS

did a great job as an opener. IMHO he did exactly what an opener should do. he SET THE MOOD

he played downtempo, ambient, techy house for the most part slowly progressing to more banging beats before farina took over.

THough it was not really a "main act" type of set, it proves his versatility as a performer.

Mark Farina

Around 1:10 Farina takes the decks. Mind you I have only seen him once before for 10 min at the OM party and I did not care for his set. Neverthelesss I have heard amazing sets from this man both albums. live sets (housearrestevents.net) -amazing jackin chicago house.

Tonite he disappointed me once more. THough i was there for only an hour till 2 ( he might have delved more undgeround and jackish' later. for all i know) but the time i was there it just "didnt sound like farina"

even before I said anything my amiga giselle says . "hes playing too mainstream" . losing my interest i went outside where the tunes from the ballroom could be heard.

pool area was still packed. (guys did a great job with the pool area)

overall the crowd at shine at least to me was comprised of a combination of an older more distinguished crowd and also a lot of very attractive young women. (def my cup of tea)

w/ kelvin andrews at the helm of shine musically the venue will def give miami someting "different" . mostly everything he played this evening was stuff i rarely hear in miami.

Notables in the house that I saw were: Oscar G, members of DHM and Jaime. and of course a large CJ crew

see you all for Tsettos on Wed Nov 23rd gonna be sweet!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hey stogiey run on sentences are kool cause you have to figure out where one starts and one ends but thats cool because you are a cool guy and we like you on here and also your nic on here is cool so keep posting like that :D

:laugh::drunk: my bad koky you're a cool guy too and today's Monday at work and sucks because back to busy mode.....how's your couch?

:biggrin:

I did not have the chance to meet stogiey2k2. :(

:drunk: I know bud you got a point, I was running around and didn't go inside the main room till 1:00am or so. I saw Bling dancing there and then immediately went to the bar. I hung out in the mainroom till like 3am or so.

Till next time Phil....i was easy to spot in a black suit, bald with a goatee. I also didn't have the white tie like the others who were wearing black suits did.

I think it was about 1:30am by the time Mark Farina took the reigns of the dj booth. I have to say, I was not at all impressed with his set so I left at 2:45 (someone will have to fill me in on how he played after that). Maybe it was just me but I found it somewhat monotonous. It didn't have that trademark bumpiness and I found it lacked those funky elements that one has almost come to expect of one of the top house djs in the game. Personally, I would have loved it if he went off into his mushroom jazz world (although I'm sure he would have lost many people had he done that). But, the dancefloor was quite full. There was a healthy abundance of beautiful women everywhere I turned yet, as a whole, I wouldn't say the crowd was musically oriented. I think that goes hand in hand with opening night of a venue (as many people will just show up to "see and be seen").

All in all, it was a fun night and I'll certainly be back to the venue soon. It was fun hanging out with friends and seeing so many familiar faces. :D

Nice review Phil. I didn't go to avoid the zooness of opening day. Hopefully MF gets back to Miami soon.

PS: WTF with the cigarrete smoking? :confused:

Thanx Frank ... guess Phil was really distracted with the bartender's outfit. :D

plenty of people smoking, but it's still their policy to be a non-smoking club...at least in the main room...security asked some of the people I was with to put out their smokes.

plenty of people smoking, but it's still their policy to be a non-smoking club...at least in the main room...security asked some of the people I was with to put out their smokes.

same thing with a friend of mine, but it was mostly around the bars. on the dancefloor the smoke machines were chugging about.