Clubplanet Nightlife Community

finally: last weekend's scumfrog-at-spundae review

weyes

yes, it's crazy: it was my first time at spundae since the renovations. i'm not down with them, i've gotta say; they make NO SENSE.

the new room isn't even a room unto itself. there's no wall between it and the main room. lucky for us, that night no one was on the stage in the new room. it seems to me that the sound would be a mixed-up disaster if there were djs on both stages at the same time. what were they thinking? or are there some detachable soundproof walls that they put up to separate the rooms? help me out with this, if this is true, you guys.

what the new room did was just create a well-lit wasteland of the confused. the people in that room looked exactly as out-of-place as the room itself. i just give it a big thumbs down :no: .

as for my froggy, the first hour or so of his set was nothing short of amazing :woah: . he had me dancing so hard that my mind had to get on its hands and knees to get me to stop for a bottle of water. i did NOT want to leave that dancefloor! but after a while his set started going nowhere. and he'd start playing songs that had a sense of direction but then would stop abruptly. i lost my patience and left the floor. it was really very disappointing. the vibe in thee-o's room was more pumping, and it's rare that the small room gets that packed.

i had made a shirt with the name of my favorite song on it (sounds dorky, i know, but it's a cool-ass shirt), and after his set, i told him that he has to play it next time he comes to l.a.

"o...," he said, "you have to remind me next time. it's just the song's a year old and i don't have it fresh on my mind."

it's a bogus excuse, though, 'cause he played another song from that very album, and he hasn't put out another one since :unhappy: . i didn't think he'd play it, though, as it's not all that danceable, the way it is on the album. he is the master of the remix, though...

but he said he loved my shirt, and, of course, i'll always forgive my scumfrog :heart: .

Well sounds like you had a blast...good for you:) As for big space, how do ya make it work... these were my exact thoughts the first time I went to an event at the orange show. 2drum and base d.j.'s same giant warehouse. But when put back to back sound going in opposite directions it worked.. I dono

we'll have to see. Take Care hon.. Hoping to party with ya soon:beer:

Well sounds like you had a blast...good for you:) As for big space, how do ya make it work... these were my exact thoughts the first time I went to an event at the orange show. 2drum and base d.j.'s same giant warehouse. But when put back to back sound going in opposite directions it worked.. I dono

we'll have to see. Take Care hon.. Hoping to party with ya soon:beer:

maybe the sound does work, somehow. i should be an optimist and hope that they rigged it so it works beautifully. only time will tell for me, till i go there on a night when two djs are on at once.

what is the scumfrog spinning these days? ***good god i hope he hasn't jumped on the electro bandwagon***
hey! don't you go badmouthing my froggy :nono: !!!

well, i can't really explain what the latter part of his set was. it was just weird. it wasn't electro, though, and it wasn't breaks. i think it was just some strange kind of trance he himself didn't understand, and therefore couldn't carry off.

i liked what he spun when he first doing the dj thing back in 2002, really enjoyed that type of music, kinda tribally at some points but very danceable tunes. i just really haven't been going out recently so i've missed him the last 2 times he's been in DC.

as for the electro comment, its just that almost everything i DL these days is electro. ugh.

i don't believe that they plan on having DJs in both areas at one time.

also, i've heard they may reorient the layout so the DJ booth is along the east wall so both rooms are utilized more properly as one room.

a friend of mine said she saw two djs on at once.

a friend of mine said she saw two djs on at once.

hmmmm....well the 2 times i've been there since the renovation, there was only a DJ in the main room, not one in the newly opened area. it seems like there would be way too much bleed through soundwise to even bother trying that.

the new room isn't even a room unto itself. there's no wall between it and the main room. lucky for us, that night no one was on the stage in the new room. it seems to me that the sound would be a mixed-up disaster if there were djs on both stages at the same time. what were they thinking? or are there some detachable soundproof walls that they put up to separate the rooms? help me out with this, if this is true, you guys.

it's not supposed to be a seperate room. it's an extension of the main room. on the bigger nights they are supposed to have the headliners on the other stage. at least that's what i think is supposed to happen.