Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Friday night in Vegas 12/9/05

calikarab

Hey,

My girl and I will be in Vegas next weekend for her birthday. Looking for a club to hit up Friday night. I already got Sat. night covered (OPM you guys are off tha hook! We will be in the house lookin sexy as ever). We like the crowd and the music at OPM on Sat. night, would like to hit up a spot like OPM on Friday. Any suggestions??

Don't really like house music, R&B and Hip Hop only!

Help a sista out!

Calikarab

OPM is def your best bet for Saturday if you like hip-hop.

Friday your choices are somewhat limited.

Might wanna check out club 702, Vivid, Curve. I'd say best alternative to OPM on Friday is Vivid in the Venetian.

Or go for a mainstream club like Pure, Tao, Body English.

When you give up, OPM's door is open til about 3am and the club goes for a few more hours after that.

Just to back up the other two, on Friday or Saturday nights you're not going to anything better musically than OPM, if hip-hop is your game. Sundays at Tabu are solid for hip-hop, but no dice otherwise.

One other solid option for Friday is Rumjungle. Not quite a nightclub and not quite a lounge, they're strictly hip-hop/R&B and there is a lot of eye candy there. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the place, but I have a lot of friends that love it, and when I've gone I've always had a good time. Then again, I can have a good time wherever I go...

I'd recommend you hit up Tao, as it's really a unique club and the main room is a great place to hang, even if the music is a bit mainstream it'll at least fit the general hip-hop/R&B mold you're looking for.

Body English is certainly a great option but you'd probably have an easier time getting into Tao.

As for Pure, personally I wouldn't bother on Friday; the crowds are insane, and the overall vibe of the main room doesn't even compare to Tao. Pure is a great club only if you're going to embrace the whole thing; the deck is really incredible, but I know more than a few people who just can't deal with house/EDM music at all and thus can't spend more than 10 minutes at a time up there. :)

There are of course other clubs in town that will be playing hip-hop/R&B on Fridays but none that many here would quickly recommend (e.g. Rain).

Greenie, nice to see you back on the board again.

Hey, it's nice to be back. Have been on the road for the past 5 weeks -- spent two weeks in Bryce and Moab following Halloween, then two weeks of business travel followed by the family turkey thing.

I'll say it again, just because it's fresh in my brain after writing up my whole review of my Halloween week -- I really think Tao is an amazing club that anyone with moderate clubbing experience needs to check out. Even if you're not nuts about the music, the whole place is really incredible.

With regards to music, perhaps some day we'll see a club in town willing to let out the reins a little bit more on some hip-hop DJs... it's shame that there's really only one club (OPM) that embraces this. Tabu does a great job of letting DJ P loose on Sundays, but he's clearly chained down by the mainstream on Fridays at 54. Some of the guys that play the hip-hop "bedroom" (thanks Ed) at Foundation do a pretty solid job as well. But there's really no spot you can hit, other than OPM, that has no problem getting away from the radio dial.

I realize that such is the life of a DJ that wants to make a living, especially in a town with corporate-owned nightclubs that need to draw the average touron versus a dedicated clubber... but given the size and growth of the scene in Vegas, it just surprises me that something else hasn't sprung for hip-hop just yet. For as much as EDM has died down in overall popularity in town, it seems to me that the places that do cater to that music allow the DJs a lot more freedom. I mean, thankfully I've never been subjected to that Crazy Frog crap or anything like it at a club in Vegas... but almost everywhere you go, you can't avoid hearing album cuts from Usher. (which granted, I'll take over shit Euro Pop any day)

The reason most clubs don't embrace good club hip-hop like the hot south shit that's new in Memphis and Texas, or the new Bay sound that's breaking out is because they are afraid of the crowd that accompanies that music. OPM is smart because they still enforce strict dress code so they can position it as upscale. They get to lock down the niche and stay out of trouble at the same time.