Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I am confused.... Dj's who "dont do it in one take"??

edubz

ok, someone explain to me...

I was reading an article here on clubnyc, and DJ Behrouz said

"They said they want to get two different DJs and that the concept is one DJ from the U.K. the other from the U.S. and they gave me the flexibility to do what I wanted to do. It worked because I didn’t do the CD on a computer, it was all mixed live."

umm, isnt that what a Dj is suppose to do??? I am confused, maybe someone can explain...

CP : That actually leads perfectly into our next question. I read that you recorded the album in one take. Talk a little about why you did this.

DJ Behrouz : I had to go to Europe and finish the CD because the next day my building was being sold and I had to move out of my studio. At seven o’clock in the morning movers were coming to take all my stuff out so at three o’clock in the morning I was mixing the CD. I have a DJ booth in my studio and I lowered the lights, just like it would be in a club. I put all the tracks down and went from start to finish.

Yousef also did the same thing, recording his album in one take. It’s funny because afterwards I told Geoff (Oakes of Renaissance) I want you to know I did this CD in one take and he goes “Oh my God, Yousef did the same thing, we should talk about it!†I think it’s perfect, I tried to make the CD as close to the way I play. DJing is still about two turntables, two CD players and a mixer; it’s not about a computer.

ok, someone explain to me, when I make a mixed CD, I record it from my mixer, to my motu 896 sound card, and into my mac g4.... I mix it, but its recorded through a computer, but its no different then if it went to tape, or dat... is this guy mean, if you use a computer, your not a DJ????

I dont understand, I am confused. If your a Dj, your suppose to do the mix like that? from start to finish...... Its like if you dont mix it, your being a minnie vanilli.

can someone please explain what this guy means? I am really confused about his comments

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not about a Computer meaning ...allot of DJ's Like sasha for example R using a program called LIVE to Mix there sets now, Sasha claims he's set's have new life and meaning cause most of it is his production...and he gets to play them without mixing, But sasha's use of LIVE 5 is not for Mixing but to add and take out sounds,loops,vocals yo name it.

LIVE 5 is a Great tool to make REMIXES... My Boy LEO From Transmitmusic.com works with Sasha to build his sets on to LIVE 5

I've used it a few times for production, But I still Stick to LOGIC

He's been getting allot of heat from Top DJ's for that. But of course we all know he's ability to mix

A lot of mix CD's that you see in stores today are done using protools. The DJ selects the tracks and their sequence but the computer mixes them. In this instance Behrouz mixed the CD himself as if he were spinning the tracks in a club...

Exactly, i cant believe people didnt know this.

ok, someone explain to me...

I was reading an article here on clubnyc, and DJ Behrouz said

"They said they want to get two different DJs and that the concept is one DJ from the U.K. the other from the U.S. and they gave me the flexibility to do what I wanted to do. It worked because I didn’t do the CD on a computer, it was all mixed live."

umm, isnt that what a Dj is suppose to do??? I am confused, maybe someone can explain...

CP : That actually leads perfectly into our next question. I read that you recorded the album in one take. Talk a little about why you did this.

DJ Behrouz : I had to go to Europe and finish the CD because the next day my building was being sold and I had to move out of my studio. At seven o’clock in the morning movers were coming to take all my stuff out so at three o’clock in the morning I was mixing the CD. I have a DJ booth in my studio and I lowered the lights, just like it would be in a club. I put all the tracks down and went from start to finish.

Yousef also did the same thing, recording his album in one take. It’s funny because afterwards I told Geoff (Oakes of Renaissance) I want you to know I did this CD in one take and he goes “Oh my God, Yousef did the same thing, we should talk about it!†I think it’s perfect, I tried to make the CD as close to the way I play. DJing is still about two turntables, two CD players and a mixer; it’s not about a computer.

ok, someone explain to me, when I make a mixed CD, I record it from my mixer, to my motu 896 sound card, and into my mac g4.... I mix it, but its recorded through a computer, but its no different then if it went to tape, or dat... is this guy mean, if you use a computer, your not a DJ????

I dont understand, I am confused. If your a Dj, your suppose to do the mix like that? from start to finish...... Its like if you dont mix it, your being a minnie vanilli.

can someone please explain what this guy means? I am really confused about his comments

CONGRATS EDUBZ, YOUR A REAL DJ, WE'RE A DIEING BREED, COMPUTERS IS THE NEW THING..... I DON'T KNOW ABOUT U, BUT I'M STICKING TO TURNTABLES............

A lot of mix CD's that you see in stores today are done using protools. The DJ selects the tracks and their sequence but the computer mixes them. In this instance Behrouz mixed the CD himself as if he were spinning the tracks in a club...

Bro i Don't agree with that............. 90 % of the Time Protools is used for mastering, Improving the all around sound

Not MIXING a DJ set

But have DJ's mixed there set's Via Computer, Hell Yea!!! I Know of One BIG NY DJ who's done that, don't have to name him to start any shit

Well this is all new to me! Seriously, I am a logic user, and I use pro tools, but I dont understand HOW you can mix a DJ set in pro tools?? I use logic to make beats, and record audio, and pro tools to edit....

For example, when I am doing a mix, be it on cd, turntables, or a combination of both, I constantly have to fix the songs in the mix so they stay on beat...using the jog wheels, pitch bend buttons, the turntable spinndle, the side of the spinning platter....

how the hell can you keep the mix in beat on pro tools? I just dont get it???

I mean, I have seen this little program here, DJ1800 for the mac os x...

fullscreen.gif

which is software base, but it still works on the same concept, beat match and hold the mix with the pitch bend buttons. but seriously, I could not see myself mixing with a mouse, as you need to do all these things together, along with eq, so now I am even more confused as to how its done in pro tools or live as they are midi and audio editing programs.... they are NOT djing programs...

Bro i Don't agree with that............. 90 % of the Time Protools is used for mastering, Improving the all around sound

Not MIXING a DJ set

But have DJ's mixed there set's Via Computer, Hell Yea!!! I Know of One BIG NY DJ who's done that, don't have to name him to start any shit

I mean, I just dont get it, why would you want to use a mouse to Dj and mix? Its just unnatural... dont mention any names, but WHAT and HOW did he use his computer to make a mixed CD??????

Is he using a virtual Djing program like the one above? I just makes no sense, its EASIER to mix when you have 2 hands instead of one hand and a tiny arrow on a computer screen!!!!!!!!!!!

i know this is not really a secret, but one of peter rauhofer's cd was mixed using protools.

this cant not be!!! I think people are getting the term "mixing" confused... when people record a rock and roll band, and "MIX" using pro-tools, they are not mixing like a DJ, but are mixing the individual sounds down....

still confused

Not MIXING a DJ set

I was looking more at LOGIC and man.. crazy shit..

yah, thought everyone knew this.

thats why sometimes the cd sounds waaaaaaay better than the dj live.

It's Not done like that, IT's More like a LIVE PA DJ...... They R Not mixing....... the Arrange window on Logic is loaded with multiple track's one after another

My Boys from Brazil Play like That , They R called Influx and the clip is from MTV Brazil. I've seen them layers tracks here in my studio many times on Logic

If i make a Track @ 140 bpm on Logic...i send the Arrange Icon and the Audio Folder via Msn they open it on there computer and just glue them together....but the entire set is @ 140 bpm for 2 hours

http://www.influx.com.br/videos/crack_video.mov

http://www.influx.com.br/videos/crack_video.wmv

I was looking more at LOGIC and man.. crazy shit..

I have been using logic since it was hybrid on both the PC and Mac....Sadly, it was gobbled up by apple computer, and apple computer killed PC support and also killed VST support. Since then, apple has not really done anything with it but add bloatware, and such, and charge alot of money for small bug fixes, which they claim is an update to the program.

Still a great program, but I think it would have been better for the end consumer had emagic not been gobbled up by logic.

Atomix Virtual DJ beat matches automatically and keeps it beatmatched.. The program is actually pretty good.

I check out the website, and read up on it

http://www.download.com/Virtual-DJ/3000-2170-10212112.html?part=dl-VirtualDJ&subj=dl&tag=button

The sequel to AtomixMP3, VirtualDJ is the MP3 mixing software that targets every DJ from bedroom DJs to professional superstars such as Carl Cox, and is used everyday by millions of DJs, and in many big clubs. It features a breakthrough BeatLock engine that will keep your songs in tune and let you work your mixes incredibly faster than any other DJ.

I am shocked they have and are promoting carl cox name on there, but hey...

but this is basically cheating if your having the computer do it all for you. not basically, it is CHEATING. I mean, why the hell even DJ? I mean, lets get serious here....

if I went to go hear a Dj, and he just bought a CD set and played it and wasnt even Djing, that shit is wack!

so is this Atomix Virtual DJ the shit the Dj uses now to make their cd's? Damn, at least dj1800 you still have to beat match and mix in, I never knew there was stuff that did it for u.

question for the laptop Dj's , what are you using to mix ?

Not about a Computer meaning ...allot of DJ's Like sasha for example R using a program called LIVE to Mix there sets now, Sasha claims he's set's have new life and meaning cause most of it is his production...and he gets to play them without mixing, But sasha's use of LIVE 5 is not for Mixing but to add and take out sounds,loops,vocals yo name it.

LIVE 5 is a Great tool to make REMIXES... My Boy LEO From Transmitmusic.com works with Sasha to build his sets on to LIVE 5

I've used it a few times for production, But I still Stick to LOGIC

He's been getting allot of heat from Top DJ's for that. But of course we all know he's ability to mix

I beg to differ. Nowadays all these compiliations are edited and spiced up with editing programs. The top djs that are putting out these "perfect" mixes are dumping the recorded set into a editing program and fixing their fuck-ups, switching track order, adding acapellas, do volumes fades and raises, adding effects, editing the tracks themselves ALL AFTER THE SET WAS INITIALLY RECORDED.

On the contrary, it is hard to find a mixed compiliation that is put out by reputable company or label (i.e., GU comps) that is NOT edited after the fact.

What's the big deal? well it depends how you feel about it, some feel like that is cheating the consumer, some feel it's ok because they are just interested in the end result. A person like me feels cheated cuz i know these djs aren't as smooth as they present themselves to be.

The same goes for bedroom djs that prepare a set for weeks before recording it. In the end you are just cheating yourselves because you are not working with the elements that are present at the moment. There is a big difference between playing in a club and playing @ home or in a tranquil enviroment. At home there less distractions, less noise, drunk/high people aren't annoying you it's just alot less hectic. As a dj you try to

make your situation as "real" as possible. Try to record your set in one take. If you mess up try a different order to the tracks or throw in something you weren't thinking of using. I bet this will keep you interested, it'll sharpen your track selection skills, as well as keeping it spontaneous.

When you practice the same mix over and over with the same tracks you are only going to get bored.

Ableton Live is a great program and sasha uses it wisely but I know for a fact that alot of "big" djs edit their compiliation mixes and present it to you as if it done perfectly the 1st time......NOT!

It's an ethical issue. Some see nothing wrong it, some do. But when i pay $18.99 for a cd, personally I want to know it's the real deal.

I have 2 cd players, 2 turntables, a mixer, and my computer. I use virtual DJ on the computer. With over 35,000 songs, I have a collection for ANY occassion. I have a company party to DJ at next week, you really think turntables are needed? Not at all. I'm going to be playing songs that are nearly impossible to buy or I'd never buy it because i'll only be playing it that night. If I were to play at a club, you might see me bring the computer still but trust me I'll be bringing my vinyls and using that a lot more. Only problem mixing from vinyl to cd/computer is of course quality difference and volume is much higher on vinyl.

I agree with mtmartin's last post.

I beg to differ. Nowadays all these compiliations are edited and spiced up with editing programs. The top djs that are putting out these "perfect" mixes are dumping the recorded set into a editing program and fixing their fuck-ups, switching track order, adding acapellas, do volumes fades and raises, adding effects, editing the tracks themselves ALL AFTER THE SET WAS INITIALLY RECORDED.

On the contrary, it is hard to find a mixed compiliation that is put out by reputable company or label (i.e., GU comps) that is NOT edited after the fact.

What's the big deal? well it depends how you feel about it, some feel like that is cheating the consumer, some feel it's ok because they are just interested in the end result. A person like me feels cheated cuz i know these djs aren't as smooth as they present themselves to be.

The same goes for bedroom djs that prepare a set for weeks before recording it. In the end you are just cheating yourselves because you are not working with the elements that are present at the moment. There is a big difference between playing in a club and playing @ home or in a tranquil enviroment. At home there less distractions, less noise, drunk/high people aren't annoying you it's just alot less hectic. As a dj you try to

make your situation as "real" as possible. Try to record your set in one take. If you mess up try a different order to the tracks or throw in something you weren't thinking of using. I bet this will keep you interested, it'll sharpen your track selection skills, as well as keeping it spontaneous.

When you practice the same mix over and over with the same tracks you are only going to get bored.

Ableton Live is a great program and sasha uses it wisely but I know for a fact that alot of "big" djs edit their compiliation mixes and present it to you as if it done perfectly the 1st time......NOT!

It's an ethical issue. Some see nothing wrong it, some do. But when i pay $18.99 for a cd, personally I want to know it's the real deal.

this is insane, and a slap in the face to all Dj's and music fans, when these worlds famous Djs are putting out all these CD's that are way to perfect using a computer...

I really could careless if bedroom Dj's use this to have fun, or mess around, but when you have people like sasha, carl cox,ect,ect that are getting paid thousands to play all over the world using a computer to mix, and putting out a mix like "LOOK AT ME, I MIX PERFECT!" come pay $50 to see me! bullshit.

These world famous Dj's are GUILTY of ruining the very dance scene. I mean, damn, I was never aware that these world famous Dj's use computers. I always thought their skills were that good. And I never really thought that they cheated...... I figured, they must be that good

These global underground CD's mixed in a computer? They have seriously fooled people on a global scale if they are...

If its mixed on a computer it should tell you. You get ripped off if you buy a CD mixed on a computer... how long has this been going on though??? I mean, laptop Djing and such is pretty new, this was not around like 4 or 5 years ago when I was more into the scene... so how long have these Dj's been cheating?

Can someone point out some CD's from famous Dj's that were mixed on a computer, because just about all the CD's I see say mixed LIVE @ club whatever...

I think your taking it too serious... It's just another way of mixing. I think we all know that carl cox has skills/talent with or without a computer as when you see him live he doesnt have a computer. I don't think its cheating really, its just another style. It's like wearing fake jewery, some people can tell and some cant; it's easier to make and copies the real thing.

Exactly, i cant believe people didnt know this.

bro, what a complete ingnorant comment to make. not everyone is high and mighty like you that knows everything when it comes to music. this comment REALLY pissed me off in that the guy was asking a simple question trying to gain knowlegde. isn't that what you are suppose to do if you're not familiar with something?

wow and you wonder how you come off as a prick :blown:

this is insane, and a slap in the face to all Dj's and music fans, when these worlds famous Djs are putting out all these CD's that are way to perfect using a computer...

I really could careless if bedroom Dj's use this to have fun, or mess around, but when you have people like sasha, carl cox,ect,ect that are getting paid thousands to play all over the world using a computer to mix, and putting out a mix like "LOOK AT ME, I MIX PERFECT!" come pay $50 to see me! bullshit.

These world famous Dj's are GUILTY of ruining the very dance scene. I mean, damn, I was never aware that these world famous Dj's use computers. I always thought their skills were that good. And I never really thought that they cheated...... I figured, they must be that good

These global underground CD's mixed in a computer? They have seriously fooled people on a global scale if they are...

If its mixed on a computer it should tell you. You get ripped off if you buy a CD mixed on a computer... how long has this been going on though??? I mean, laptop Djing and such is pretty new, this was not around like 4 or 5 years ago when I was more into the scene... so how long have these Dj's been cheating?

Can someone point out some CD's from famous Dj's that were mixed on a computer, because just about all the CD's I see say mixed LIVE @ club whatever...

Don't me wrong....they are not ALL fakes but computers are used to enhance something that didn't come out so good.

Why should I re-do the whole mix if only two mixes came out fucked-up I have this technology right here that will let me fix the problem in minutes....

So it comes down to ethics and opinions....i would call it dishonest while you might call it convenience.