Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Let's start the dance! discuss...

I have to comment on this on as somebody that was fully involved in the "Circle" era as well as a DJ. I have always thrived off the dancers in the clubs as a DJ for the sole fact that if I was able to make them (The Circle Dancers) move, then I was doing something right. Beleave it or not, most of the dancers were and still are the biggest critics when it came to the music that was being played. I was always in a circle back in the day if I wasn't spinning, and hell even sometimes when I was. I think the circles were a staple of clubbing. I made the DJ know he was doing his job right and it also got the crowd into it a little more. A circle would break out and everybody would want to get a look at what the dancers were doing and it just kinda trickled down from there. I got the the whloe floor dancing I thought.

I also used that when shopping for records. If I heard a track in the record store that immediately made me want to dance I would buy it, and nine times out of ten when I would play it the crowd would go nuts. The circles would form and the vibe would be lifted to the next level.

Unfortunately that has gone away now and it has gone to what I call the "Big Room" crowd. They care more about being scene at the "hot Spot" then they do about the music which is what it was all about to begin with. Compair the SF crowd to the Twilo crowd for instance. Everytime I went to Twilo the vibe was great and 90% of the people were there for the music and not just to be scene. Every DJ that came through there no matter where they were from or who they were could expect a crowd that wanted to hear good music. The first time I walked into SF it didn't seem that way. I also have to admit that I only went to SF the first time cause it was the "Hot Spot". It seemed as if the entire crowd was just there because it was the "Hot Spot". To this day you see them on the message boards and what not talking about JP this and JP that, like he is the only DJ that exists.

Now that Crobar is the "Hot Spot" they have all converted to Boris lovers.

And the trend will continue cause they refuse to embrace other DJ's and if they do invade their presious "Hot Spot" they are not excepted cuase they are not playing the same style they have been hearing from the same two DJ's for the last 6 or so years. This board is a prime example of what I am talking about. I read a post in one of the Pacha thread about why the hell are they bringing in these euro DJ's and no NYC DJ's. I thought that was one of the most retarded comments I have heard. Pacha is going to be the next "Hot Spot" and we all know it, but is it going to be a "Hot Spot" for the musicaly educated and true EDM lover or just a "Place To Be" hot spot. only time will tell, but one things for sure if it's run the way Pacha in Ibiza is there will be international talent in there every week, and that is only going to help the scene in NYC and maybe educate some otherwise uneducatable people.

The last thing I have to add is this, Hip Hop is what we are force fed everyday weither we like it on not. It's on damn near every radio station and MTV is all reality shows and hip hop videos. We have lost the fight in big media for EDM. So it's going to be hard to bring back the circle era of clubbing when back in the day you could watch even a rap video and see real dancers that made you want to learn that particular dance move and try it out at the clubs on Friday night. Now everybody is doing the "same two step with a little twist" We have been turned into lemengs and just follow what mass media says.

IMHO

Sorry for rambeling..........

I have to comment on this on as somebody that was fully involved in the "Circle" era as well as a DJ. I have always thrived off the dancers in the clubs as a DJ for the sole fact that if I was able to make them (The Circle Dancers) move, then I was doing something right. Beleave it or not, most of the dancers were and still are the biggest critics when it came to the music that was being played. I was always in a circle back in the day if I wasn't spinning, and hell even sometimes when I was. I think the circles were a staple of clubbing. I made the DJ know he was doing his job right and it also got the crowd into it a little more. A circle would break out and everybody would want to get a look at what the dancers were doing and it just kinda trickled down from there. I got the the whloe floor dancing I thought.

I also used that when shopping for records. If I heard a track in the record store that immediately made me want to dance I would buy it, and nine times out of ten when I would play it the crowd would go nuts. The circles would form and the vibe would be lifted to the next level.

Unfortunately that has gone away now and it has gone to what I call the "Big Room" crowd. They care more about being scene at the "hot Spot" then they do about the music which is what it was all about to begin with. Compair the SF crowd to the Twilo crowd for instance. Everytime I went to Twilo the vibe was great and 90% of the people were there for the music and not just to be scene. Every DJ that came through there no matter where they were from or who they were could expect a crowd that wanted to hear good music. The first time I walked into SF it didn't seem that way. I also have to admit that I only went to SF the first time cause it was the "Hot Spot". It seemed as if the entire crowd was just there because it was the "Hot Spot". To this day you see them on the message boards and what not talking about JP this and JP that, like he is the only DJ that exists.

And the trend will continue cause they refuse to embrace other DJ's and if they do invade their presious "Hot Spot" they are not excepted cuase they are not playing the same style they have been hearing from the same two DJ's for the last 6 or so years. This board is a prime example of what I am talking about. I read a post in one of the Pacha thread about why the hell are they bringing in these euro DJ's and no NYC DJ's. I thought that was one of the most retarded comments I have heard. Pacha is going to be the next "Hot Spot" and we all know it, but is it going to be a "Hot Spot" for the musicaly educated and true EDM lover or just a "Place To Be" hot spot. only time will tell, but one things for sure if it's run the way Pacha in Ibiza is there will be international talent in there every week, and that is only going to help the scene in NYC and maybe educate some otherwise uneducatable people.

The last thing I have to add is this, Hip Hop is what we are force fed everyday weither we like it on not. It's on damn near every radio station and MTV is all reality shows and hip hop videos. We have lost the fight in big media for EDM. So it's going to be hard to bring back the circle era of clubbing when back in the day you could watch even a rap video and see real dancers that made you want to learn that particular dance move and try it out at the clubs on Friday night. Now everybody is doing the "same two step with a little twist" We have been turned into lemengs and just follow what mass media says.

IMHO

great points. And from what I just read in the Pasha Post article here

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?t=290768

sadly, pasha is just going to be another hot spot... something like $300 bottles of alcohol, a locker where you can store it and come back a week later, hot or not contests, showers, and other strange things that I have never heard of before..... all this stuff, what about the music? It seems like its gearing towards a certain crowd, and not music lovers...

I myself dont care, the only thing I dont like is these overrated euro Dj's coming to NYC like the are above every other american DJ, and the crowds think this.

IMHO

some great points made here....NYC NEEDS A NEW HERO!!!!

some great points made here....NYC NEEDS A NEW HERO!!!!

You are right we do need a new hero, but the problem is simple, any DJ that wants to make a name for themselves know that they are going to be more respected abroad then in NYC. The unfortunate thing about it is you either become a NYC DJ or an international DJ. Think about it this way, there has been plenty of DJ's that have come out of NYC to become world recognized DJ's ie: Sanchez (Junior & Roger), Morillo, Harry Choo Choo, Armand Van Helden just to name a few. They are known all over the world, they have been recognized for their talents by many people. That wouldn't have happened if they didn't get out of the NYC rut sort of speak. Just about everybody I mentioned has an Essential Mix on Radio 1 which IMO means you have hit big. That show is recognized as dance music's bible sort of speak. "Only The Worlds Best DJ's on The Worlds Best Turntables"

So unfortunately most DJ's either are content with just being a NYC DJ ie: JP, Boris and others, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I said all of that to make this point. We need a new hero but I don't think we will get one any time soon...

I think it really has to do with the bpms as well. And carmine man your words against me were hilarious, i hope ya do see me out so we can both have a good time cause yes that is what its all about. And believe me for somone like me who goe sout like 4 to 5 times a week for many yrs now i have a great time and dont sit down or leave till im exhausted till the lights come on or till its time to go to work i dont watch the crowd at all. And im friends with many guidos as well who dance with me at many parties aint no hate goin on.

Main problem is alot of people dont know who or where or why this music was started in the first place. To some it seems only like a scene to get drugs and laid and hear fast repetitive beats. Thats the sad part that i hate.

You are right we do need a new hero, but the problem is simple, any DJ that wants to make a name for themselves know that they are going to be more respected abroad then in NYC. The unfortunate thing about it is you either become a NYC DJ or an international DJ. Think about it this way, there has been plenty of DJ's that have come out of NYC to become world recognized DJ's ie: Sanchez (Junior & Roger), Morillo, Harry Choo Choo, Armand Van Helden just to name a few. They are known all over the world, they have been recognized for their talents by many people. That wouldn't have happened if they didn't get out of the NYC rut sort of speak. Just about everybody I mentioned has an Essential Mix on Radio 1 which IMO means you have hit big. That show is recognized as dance music's bible sort of speak. "Only The Worlds Best DJ's on The Worlds Best Turntables"

So unfortunately most DJ's either are content with just being a NYC DJ ie: JP, Boris and others, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I said all of that to make this point. We need a new hero but I don't think we will get one any time soon...

It is sooo sad how Roger S played at countless parties, even in small spaces in this city and people didn't really catch on to him meanwhile he was going to uk playing all the big festivals getting paid generous amount of money, but no love at home.

Productions is what has taken the djs you mentioned you onto the world stage...their records seel in other countries therefore creating the demand.

That same process is what's happening today in nyc.... we get spoonfed by parties like made (no i'm not hating on their parties) but alot of the djs they use have not been exposed to nyc crowds and vice versa.

what has happened in the past?

if i rememebr correctly i heard Jp, eddie baez, danny tenaglia in smaller venues years ago but productions is what brought them to the centerstage.

you also have to consider what kinds of music they play & produce because if history tells us anything it's that the sound of true nyc djs is SOMETIMES not easliy transferrable worldwide.

you don't see junior, jp, eddie baez, being asked to play uk and europe much. even Eastern europe is definitely not asking for them much.

To some it seems only like a scene to get drugs and laid and hear fast repetitive beats. Thats the sad part that i hate.

I have a huge thing against people like that as I'd hope all of us here are too. Part of it is these damn people going out to get ladies thinking "hey i hear jp gets all the hott chicks" and goes to get fucked up and laid and doesnt even know who jp is. This probably makes a lot of the females not want to go out as much I'd assume because of these guys. Actually like 2 weeks ago at avalon I see these guys pretty much stalking girls all day and smacking their ass which bothered the hell out of me.

It is sooo sad how Roger S played at countless parties, even in small spaces in this city and people didn't really catch on to him meanwhile he was going to uk playing all the big festivals getting paid generous amount of money, but no love at home.

Productions is what has taken the djs you mentioned you onto the world stage...their records seel in other countries therefore creating the demand.

That same process is what's happening today in nyc.... we get spoonfed by parties like made (no i'm not hating on their parties) but alot of the djs they use have not been exposed to nyc crowds and vice versa.

if i rememebr correctly i heard Jp, eddie baez, danny tenaglia in smaller venues years ago but productions is what brought them to the centerstage.

you also have to consider what kinds of music they play & produce because if history tells us anything it's that the sound of true nyc djs is SOMETIMES not easliy transferrable worldwide.

you don't see junior, jp, eddie baez, being asked to play uk and europe much. even Eastern europe is definitely not asking for them much.

I find it funny as well when djs like todd terry, tony humphries,marshall jefferson, dont get love from the modern day clubber here while in europe there touring all over the place and making money. Same thing with roger sanchez and erick morillo, then again their styles of music have changed abit also to fit in with a certain crowd and forgetting about the crowd that supported them fromthe begging, im talking more about erick than roger in this instance.

Also wanna say it all depends on the dj as well cant hate on them for wanting to make money and move up the chain so to say. But i gotta give respect to djs like timmy regisford, francois k, danny krivit to name a few who have been doing this since the 70s and kinda turn their backs on going "mainstream". And here they are 30 yrs later still playing all over the world while having their nyc residency.

I dont know about everyone else, but my classic songs, the shit i play that I still love and can never get tired off...

Thats the way love is, Temperamental, That Look, I wanna Kiss you all over, Lift me up, Rain by brainbug,ect,ect....

this is NY production, this is NY to me. These are my classics...

When I move away from NY and go else where in america or the world, these are the songs thats gonna make me remind me of MY NY. I could go on for pages for both NY produced house OR hip hop.

Erick Morrillo has never created anything for me that I like.... niether has Junior Sanchez. Carl Cox, nope. Tesitos, nope. yet, this is what I am being forced fed now.

yet these DJ's are always put on the top of the list. I could careless. Like I said, I respect a DJ more that holds down NY and creates classics.

these reason they go no love at home, is because just that, they arent loved at home, because they do nothing for home.

To me, yeah they are famous, and high on the list, but they haven't done anything, but come back and try to take NY after they have been selling out all over the world, and open up a club, where they are gonna have hot or not contest, $300 bottles of liquor, showers, and claim this is the new era.

fuck u, get the fuck out of my NY with that bullshit.

I dont know about everyone else, but my classic songs, the shit i play that I still love and can never get tired off...

Thats the way love is, Temperamental, That Look, I wanna Kiss you all over, Lift me up, Rain by brainbug,ect,ect....

this is NY production, this is NY to me. These are my classics...

When I move away from NY and go else where in america or the world, these are the songs thats gonna make me remind me of MY NY. I could go on for pages for both NY produced house OR hip hop.

Erick Morrillo has never created anything for me that I like.... niether has Junior Sanchez. Carl Cox, nope. Tesitos, nope. yet, this is what I am being forced fed now.

yet these DJ's are always put on the top of the list. I could careless. Like I said, I respect a DJ more that holds down NY are creates classics.

these reason they go no love at home, is because just that, they arent loved at home, because they do nothing for home.

To me, yeah they are famous, and high on the list, but they haven't done anything, but come back and try to take NY after they have been selling out all over the world, and open up a club, where they are gonna have hot or not contest, $300 bottles of liquor, showers, and claim this is the new era.

fuck u, get the fuck out of my NY with that bullshit.

edubz the classics you named are from chicago, germany, ny, wash d.c.,

it's a worldwide thang baby!

roger s paid his dues to new york, and new york could care less! he exposed his music to the world through his narcotic label, his remixes

and the world accepted it so he took he oppurtunity, what would you do?

none of the djs named have "sold out" because no dj is in a postion to "sell out". As a dj/producer if you are trying to pay youir rent with it and live off of it you BETTER be trying to expose your music to the world, i don't care if it was 10 years ago Or today...the goal is too spread the word about yourself all over the world.

edubz the classics you named are from chicago, germany, ny, wash d.c.,

it's a worldwide thang baby!

roger s paid his dues to new york, and new york could care less! he exposed his music to the world through his narcotic label, his remixes

and the world accepted it so he took he oppurtunity, what would you do?

none of the djs named have "sold out" because no dj is in a postion to "sell out". As a dj/producer if you are trying to pay youir rent with it and live off of it you BETTER be trying to expose your music to the world, i don't care if it was 10 years ago Or today...the goal is too spread the word about yourself all over the world.

I think you miss understood, I didn't mean they sold out, like they are sellouts, I mean while they were sellING out different venues around the world.

NY is world famous for its sound, be it hip hop or house. But its like, these days, you hear more southern rap on the radio.... and these days, you hear more euro stuff in clubs and more euro , but there is a grumbling amongst die hard NY fans for both hip hop and house, that are saying, whats going on here?

and just about all the classics I named are made by NY producers

Thats the way love is, kiss you all over - johnny vicious

life me up- jonathan peters

temperamental - hex hector

That look - hani....

Like 4 years ago when I was more into Djing, I Djed an after hours party in LA, and I dropped these Ny records, and people were BUGGIN, they were like wow, whats the name of that record! It made me feel proud to be from NY and actually have these vinyl records and be playing them in LA.

I think you miss understood, I didn't mean they sold out, like they are sellouts, I mean while they were sellING out different venues around the world.

NY is world famous for its sound, be it hip hop or house. But its like, these days, you hear more southern rap on the radio.... and these days, you hear more euro stuff in clubs and more euro , but there is a grumbling amongst die hard NY fans for both hip hop and house, that are saying, whats going on here?

That look - hani....

Like 4 years ago when I was more into Djing, I Djed an after hours party in LA, and I dropped these Ny records, and people were BUGGIN, they were like wow, whats the name of that record! It made me feel proud to be from NY and actually have these vinyl records and be playing them in LA.

sorry i was an era early i thought you were talking

about

that look - de'lacy - dc

that's the way love is _ ten city - chitown

and i confused lift me up w/ i get lifted - barbara tucker

That look - hani....

I agree with you on some of these points but I have to say this. We are getting serious exposure to the euro DJ's and Producers because they are the ones that are keeping the industry afloat per say. It sound isn't coming from the US anymore. We are too busy "Backin Dat Ass Up" to make quality music anymore, be it House or Hip Hop. Also we all know that anthing quality will not be promoted by any major media. They would rather promote Ignorant rap music and cheesy club cuts. Overseas they promote good music no matter who made it. If it's good it gets played...

Besides House music isn't made by people with "Bling" so why would the US media promote it.

That look - hani....

Well just wanna say that the NYC SOUND that people all over the world know or knew about goes way back further then these tracks. I dont know how to explain it very claearily maybe someone else will.

I think it really has to do with the bpms as well. And carmine man your words against me were hilarious, i hope ya do see me out so we can both have a good time cause yes that is what its all about. And believe me for somone like me who goe sout like 4 to 5 times a week for many yrs now i have a great time and dont sit down or leave till im exhausted till the lights come on or till its time to go to work i dont watch the crowd at all. And im friends with many guidos as well who dance with me at many parties aint no hate goin on.

Main problem is alot of people dont know who or where or why this music was started in the first place. To some it seems only like a scene to get drugs and laid and hear fast repetitive beats. Thats the sad part that i hate.

Sounds good!!!! i agree with you on the drugs/laid and high bpms!!!! i cant say that i have never taken any supplements!!!! but to me that is not all about the scene for me!! and i cant go out that much im getting a bit old!! 26 i know its not old but ive been there done that!! now i just go out when certain djs are spinning.... but i must say sometimes you def. come across in an arogant way!!!! but its all good!!!! keep doing what your doing but remember that NYC is a cultural melting pot!!!! im sure you know this but sometimes the way you state things it appears that you are only looking through what you enjoy!! anyway keep enjoying yourself!! im sure ill run into you sometime!!

Peace!!

Speaking about world popularity...when I was in Europe visiting my dad and checking out what music they were into in the (bootleg) music shops...

I saw a c.d. of Erick Morillo's music??? wow, I was thinking....this is such a racist country and of all d.j.s they have Erick Morillo's music here. I am sure Erick got no profit from that...but the fact that he was on the shelves was pretty amazing.

www.montenegrosmiles.com

A country you probably haven't heard of, either. Used to be Yugoslavia before all the wars and NATO and shit.