2006 FIFA World Cup

pookie23

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italy soccer trial opens, then abruptly adjourns

By James Eve

ROME, June 29 (Reuters) - Italy's biggest sports trial opened on Thursday with four top soccer clubs and 26 officials facing match-fixing charges before a string of procedural motions forced an adjournment until next Monday.

Champions Juventus, AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio, four of soccer-mad Italy's elite teams, risk being forced out of the top Serie A league and European competition if found guilty of conspiring with referees to rig matches.

Tribunal president Cesare Ruperto opened the trial with a roll call of four teams and 26 officials who have been accused. They stood up behind rows of desks as their names were read inside a spartan, low-ceilinged room in Rome's Olympic Stadium.

Defence lawyers then raised a list of objections that forced Ruperto to halt the trial after less than three hours.

"We will adjourn until Monday, July 3," Ruperto said after allowing five Serie B teams hoping to be promoted -- Bologna, Brescia, Lecce, Messina and Treviso -- to take part in the proceedings and giving them until Monday to prepare their cases.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has promised to finish the trial by July 9, the day of the World Cup final.

FIGC emergency administrator Guido Rossi dismissed concerns that the delay would prevent the tribunal from meeting the timetable. "The trial will start on a fast-track on Monday and meet the deadline," he told ANSA news agency.

Among the accused packed into the room were former FIGC president Franco Carraro, AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani and referee Massimo De Santis, who was barred from the World Cup after the "Clean Feet" scandal erupted in May.

Former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi, whose tapped calls set off the scandal, was not present. He has said he does not need to answer to the panel because he has quit Juventus.

MOGGIOPOLI

The accused are charged with sporting fraud and unfair conduct, which could lead to the teams being relegated and the individuals being suspended or banned from football.

Juventus runs the greatest risk of being demoted and the club appears resigned to playing a year outside Serie A.

"We have worked to get things back to normal and prepare a team that in two years will return to being a winning squad," interim club CEO Carlo Sant'Albano said in a newspaper interview.

A meeting of Juventus shareholders in Turin elected a new board on Thursday, and one investor after another stood up and accused the outgoing board of turning a blind eye to dealings they said had tarnished the club's 29 Serie A championships.

"If I think of the shares I bought and the season ticket that I had, I involuntarily participated in and financed 'Moggiopoli,'" one shareholder said, referring to the widely used nickname for the scandal.

Juventus's new board named Jean-Claude Blanc, head of the French Open tennis championships, as CEO. The new chairman said the trial was a chance for Juventus and others to clean up the game.

"It's absolutely necessary. In football there is definitely a moral problem," Giovanni Cobolli Gigli said.

Juventus shares have lost half their value since the scandal erupted in early May, and closed down 4.34 percent at 1.28 euros.

The trial will run for the rest of the World Cup in Germany. Thirteen 13 players from the four accused clubs play for Italy who face Ukraine on Friday in the World Cup quarter-finals.

FIGC has said any appeals will be heard by July 20, giving it time before a July 27 deadline to submit the names of teams for next season's Champions League and UEFA Cup competitions.

In a reminder that the court was a sports tribunal, the judges wore suits instead of the robes that are worn in criminal trials. Prosecutors in four cities have also launched criminal probes into soccer's murky dealings. (Additional reporting by Riccardo Fabiani in Rome, Sophie Hardach in Turin)

Updated on Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 12:22

hell yes..

sports in europe is allllllll corrupt...

my friends who bet on sports back home ..know for a fact that if theres a Russian referee that the game is gona b rife with interruptions and cards..because it plays into the hands of the russian mafia betting scheme

serious question

does the Mafia (probably not as strong in italy as here as well) have any hand in this

i have heard of asian gang/mafia fixing soccer matches

Check out Milan w/ Berlusconi or Juve w/ Fiat.

Since you're a Premiershit fan, read about Roman and Chelsea, Sir Alex and the Rock of Gilbatar, etc.

Check out Milan w/ Berlusconi or Juve w/ Fiat.

Since you're a Premiershit fan, read about Roman and Chelsea, Sir Alex and the Rock of Gilbatar, etc.

wassa matta for you you no likey the english league??

im gonna get into it this year , since EPL seems the only league that gets any play on cable here , i guess if i buy FOx soccer channel would get more , but for now ill stick with one league to follow

now i just gotta pick a club to stick with

my company just signed with Manchester as the sponsor for their jerseys , so i might as well go with them, plus i like this kid rooney

yankees and MU ..most hated franchises eh

kool

yeh AIG is a monster company. been good to me, Im out here on L.I

only know a couple of peeps in the pine st office

But yeh 100 million for a cpl of yrs worth of sponsorship

I guess Glazer needs the $$$

who you root for in EPL