Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Observations: Danny Howells @ Spirit

The music Do you guys like inconsistent sets? I personally don't, so I wasn't prepared to get hit with soulful house when I walked in a little after midnight. It felt like I was listening to Nicolas Matar's promo mixes on http://www.cieloclub.com/. Around 1:30 the music turned progressive and around 4:00 he swtiched to trance. I thought that there was no vibe at all - there was one soulful track that I liked, two progressive tracks that I really liked and trance just sucked! The trance that they played upstairs was very exciting though.

The crowd I think Spirit and Made Events are doing a great service by letting in 18 years olds: this helps raise the next generation of party people and exposes them to good music. At least they know there is life outside MTV and hip hop! However it sucks that the ratio is consistently 4 guys to 1 girl at these events. Also, my 18-year-old female peers used to dress a lot more provocatively when they went clubbing :love2: Oh, and it just hurts to see flocks of 4 girls head out at 2:30!!

The bar The rule of Spirit seems to be "Pick a bartender and stick with him (actually, preferrably, her)". The first vodka and cranberry we ordered contained no vodka - at $11 a pop that was robbery. Also, apparently, "double Grey Goose and Red Bull" no longer means "double the vodka in a same size cup" - that is called "extra strong". "Double..." means a double-size cup.

Vs. Crobar Without a doubt the biggest advantage of Spirit vs Crobar are those stairs that lead to "a smoking area" where people sit, 'cuz there's nowhere to sit on the main floor at Crobar. Many people posted that the sound system @ Spirit is better, but I honestly couldn't feel that... does everyone really think so?

I just need to stand up for howells housey sound. if youve heard his excellent renaissance cd or followed him since he first came to nyc, you know that howells loves melodic & deep house too.

I understand if you prefer DHs tech-house edge, this weeks party wouldnt be your fave. but I like DHs progressve/funky house that was the centerpiece of his set circa 1-4-ish am.

I also like his 'trance' as you call it. to me DH plays a hard trance or a melodic hard euro-disco. he doesnt play epic trance like say ferry corsten or taucher. he plays a harder euro trance closest to what sander or hernan play in their most euro moments.

again I understand why techno fans preferred howells previous spirit set, but to me, this past friday was howells best nyc set of 2005 & I LOVE his deep melodic house side & the hard 'trance' as you label it.

DH come back soon!~!!!

wow this was my fave howells set of 2005. cos he playedmelodic & deep house, then killed with the funky hard house & funky progressive like 1-4 am.

after that he went into kind of melodic euro-disco or some hard-ish trance, and some darker stuff, but I thought he kind of had hit the wall by 5 am or so, still I stayed til 6:45. he did bring out some of that euro disco & hard trance I was saying like 6:15-45 but i was gone & most of the crowd energy was too.

I liked his first ny set of 2005, I call that the progressive tribal set.

his 2nd nyc set was the trance into hard techno set, I preferred the trance but I am aware that many people loved his techno last time.

this time I was living for the house & funky progressive from 1 am til 5 am.

it reminded me of some of my fave arc howells sets when he got real dark with the nasty baslines keeping it moving.

as I say it was my fave howells of 2005 but i gather some of his other fans didnt like the housier vibe.

I think based on the music I'll give it 4-1/2 stars of five; atmosphere was there & good energy most of the night, but crowd maybe gets 4-1/4 * of 5.

still I'd rate it 4-1/2 * cos of the funky progg + basslines 1-5 am.

more howells in 2006 please!!

Vs. Crobar Without a doubt the biggest advantage of Spirit vs Crobar are those stairs that lead to "a smoking area" where people sit, 'cuz there's nowhere to sit on the main floor at Crobar. Many people posted that the sound system @ Spirit is better, but I honestly couldn't feel that... does everyone really think so?

Agreed, Place to sit on main floor makes Spirit such a better venue .. and the sound is better imo ...

Guys.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I am not sure at all that Spirit has a Phazon system.

As far as I know, the only Phazon systems in the city are at Crobar, and at Roxy (Yes Roxy), and yes they were built by Steve Dash and his team.

Steve Dash left Phazon and teamed up with Mike Bindra to form their own company called Integral Sounds. The system in Spirit is theirs. The only other clubs in the world to have one are Sven Vath's club Cocoon in Germany, and BED NY...