Clubplanet Nightlife Community

the vinyl is dead 2

skylab

Did you all read the article on tiesto here on cp?

Tiesto: My decision to stop playing vinyl was mainly so that I could travel light and always have my CDs with me, instead of losing my record box 100 times a year when I can’t afford to be without my music! Secondly, CDs always sound great and if a CD gets broken or something I can easily have a replacement copy within a few hours as we keep backups of my current catalogue in the office. The CDJ-1000 MK2s have never ever let me down and, of course, I can complete more tricks with CD players than with vinyl decks, such as pitching down, reversing and extending the breaks etc.

im not a dj so i dont know but ... cd's and vinyl ... aint the DJ doing the same thing on both? ... mixing music? does it really matter ? i dunno

they do the same thing, beat match and such...

its really not that serious.

track selection is important then what you use.

Did you all read the article on tiesto here on cp?

Tiesto: My decision to stop playing vinyl was mainly so that I could travel light and always have my CDs with me, instead of losing my record box 100 times a year when I can’t afford to be without my music! Secondly, CDs always sound great and if a CD gets broken or something I can easily have a replacement copy within a few hours as we keep backups of my current catalogue in the office. The CDJ-1000 MK2s have never ever let me down and, of course, I can complete more tricks with CD players than with vinyl decks, such as pitching down, reversing and extending the breaks etc.

Ask Carl Cox what he thinks, I'll bet his answer will be a slap on the face for Tiesto.

Ask Carl Cox what he thinks, I'll bet his answer will be a slap on the face for Tiesto.

The fuck are you talking about? Carl Cox plays CDs almost exclusively now. That's a FACT. He had been playing vinyl for 30 years but now has fully switched over to CDs for the same reasons cited by Tiesto. Carl will normally spin with 3 CDJs now.

Over the Summer Carl had his residency at Space in Ibiza, I saw him there twice and both times he played mainly CDs, I personally enjoy using both formats.

DJ,s are in fact using CD almost exclusively when they travel citing weight, and airlines losing their precious record cases as the reasons! I dont disagree with this, BUT vinyl still sounds that certain way, when you have well recorded vinyl!

However, even though CD does not, at least at this point in time, yet have the fullness and warmth of vinyl, times are changing, CD and files are becoming the norm, vinyl is going to retire!

Not to mention the petroleum prices affecting vinyl prices! Imagine the day when an import 12in single costs $19.99? Compared to a $1.99 download!

they do the same thing, beat match and such...

its really not that serious.

track selection is important then what you use.

No, Ill disagree with you totally! It does matter what you use as well as what you play, because some things sound different than others! How something sounds affects the audiences perception of it, and CAN make a big difference between something being GREAT -vs- JUST OK!

The fuck are you talking about? Carl Cox plays CDs almost exclusively now. That's a FACT. He had been playing vinyl for 30 years but now has fully switched over to CDs for the same reasons cited by Tiesto. Carl will normally spin with 3 CDJs now.

last time I saw him was @ Twilo when he played vs. Danny T.

90 % vinyl , my Bad

No, Ill disagree with you totally! It does matter what you use as well as what you play, because some things sound different than others! How something sounds affects the audiences perception of it, and CAN make a big difference between something being GREAT -vs- JUST OK!

I dont know if your an audiophile, but I personally can not tell in a club, with a couple of drinks in me, if the DJ is playing CD or Vinyl.

This argument is over rated if you ask me.

Unless you can go to a club, sit there with you eyes closed, and be able to tell me, DJ is playing vinyl now, and he just mixed in a CD, nows he's playing vinyl again....

come on now... seriously.

and FYI

The following are comments made by the world's top DJs about Pioneer product. They can be found in the newest DJ Magazine's Top 100 DJs issue available on news stands now.

Rank Name Quote

02 - Tiesto - "I've moved totally to CDs this year - vinyl is dead"

05 - Ferry Corsten - ...."I've pretty much switched to CDs"

08 - Deep Dish - "We're touring with a bank of Pioneer equipment and toying with Ableton"

10 - Carl Cox - "I have changed over to using three Pioneer CD players, EFX-1000 and a Cycloops sample machine and can now remix music and create more of my own sound live while I'm playing"

13 - James Zabiela - "I'll do loops/editing on the CDJs and the EFX-1000, sometimes with a loop grabber too."

16 - Marco V - "I've started using the Pioneer DVD players, which is a fantastic way to make the visuals really fit into the tracks"

17 - Eddie Halliwell - I've been using the Pioneer 909 and doing my own re-edits and tools"

20 - Sander Kleinenberg - "I'm incorporating DVJ and imagery into my sets"

22 - Benny Benassi - "I'm fond of Pioneer stuff, their CD players, mixers, new FX rack. I like to remix tracks that were not originally club tracks, to be more original if I can"

26 - Infected Mushroom - "Using the CDJ-1000s and laptops for remixing on the road"

30 - Steve Lawler - "Last September I converted entirely to CDs. So I'm using the CDJ-1000 along with the Pioneer EFX-1000. It's changed the whole way a DJ can mix, you can basically re-edit and remix tracks on the fly"

40 - DJ Vibe - "Besides the EFX-1000 / EFX-500 units and C-Loops sampler, nothing at the moment"

42 - Bad Boy Bill - "I'm taking it more digital and visual with Pioneer CDJs and DVJs"

46 - Andy Moor - "I use Pioneer CDJ-1000s and FX from a laptop. To keep it visually entertaining. I'm creating a custom FX unit to control the laptop FX whilst mixing on the CDJs"

48 - Ricky Stone - "I'm now 100% digital. I really love the Pioneer CDJ-1000s. I do have Ableton at home but doubt I'll use it in a club environment just yet"

64 - Jeff Mills - I'm using the Pioneer DVJ-X1, but the most important thing is that people have a good time"

'Source: DJ Magazine Top 100 DJs 2005'. http://www.djmag.com

I dont know if your an audiophile, but I personally can not tell in a club, with a couple of drinks in me, if the DJ is playing CD or Vinyl.

Unless you can go to a club, sit there with you eyes closed, and be able to tell me, DJ is playing vinyl now, and he just mixed in a CD, nows he's playing vinyl again....

Yes, I can tell if its vinyl or CD! CD is very clean, but still lacks the big sound especially in the bass that vinyl has! CD is sort of 1 dimensional, while vinyl offers a more depthy sound with warmer less forward midrange! Its actually quite audible, seriously!

CD,s depending on the recording itself, can still sometimes sound very annoying, and hashy ( digital ) in the top end!

This argument to me, is similar to how most club owners feel the sound system also doesnt make difference, no one can hear the difference, and therefore doesnt matter!

Can U hear a difference from an MP3 to a CD? Same thing for vinyl to CD!

And, even if your in a club, and you arent really paying attention to if its vinyl or CD, the difference in sound, even though your not consciously aware of it, is one draws you in, and if the other sounds strident in the higher frequencies it pushes you away, the music sounds irritating, and bothers you!

and FYI

The following are comments made by the world's top DJs about Pioneer product. They can be found in the newest DJ Magazine's Top 100 DJs issue available on news stands now.

Rank Name Quote

02 - Tiesto - "I've moved totally to CDs this year - vinyl is dead"

05 - Ferry Corsten - ...."I've pretty much switched to CDs"

08 - Deep Dish - "We're touring with a bank of Pioneer equipment and toying with Ableton"

10 - Carl Cox - "I have changed over to using three Pioneer CD players, EFX-1000 and a Cycloops sample machine and can now remix music and create more of my own sound live while I'm playing"

13 - James Zabiela - "I'll do loops/editing on the CDJs and the EFX-1000, sometimes with a loop grabber too."

16 - Marco V - "I've started using the Pioneer DVD players, which is a fantastic way to make the visuals really fit into the tracks"

17 - Eddie Halliwell - I've been using the Pioneer 909 and doing my own re-edits and tools"

20 - Sander Kleinenberg - "I'm incorporating DVJ and imagery into my sets"

22 - Benny Benassi - "I'm fond of Pioneer stuff, their CD players, mixers, new FX rack. I like to remix tracks that were not originally club tracks, to be more original if I can"

26 - Infected Mushroom - "Using the CDJ-1000s and laptops for remixing on the road"

30 - Steve Lawler - "Last September I converted entirely to CDs. So I'm using the CDJ-1000 along with the Pioneer EFX-1000. It's changed the whole way a DJ can mix, you can basically re-edit and remix tracks on the fly"

40 - DJ Vibe - "Besides the EFX-1000 / EFX-500 units and C-Loops sampler, nothing at the moment"

42 - Bad Boy Bill - "I'm taking it more digital and visual with Pioneer CDJs and DVJs"

46 - Andy Moor - "I use Pioneer CDJ-1000s and FX from a laptop. To keep it visually entertaining. I'm creating a custom FX unit to control the laptop FX whilst mixing on the CDJs"

48 - Ricky Stone - "I'm now 100% digital. I really love the Pioneer CDJ-1000s. I do have Ableton at home but doubt I'll use it in a club environment just yet"

64 - Jeff Mills - I'm using the Pioneer DVJ-X1, but the most important thing is that people have a good time"

'Source: DJ Magazine Top 100 DJs 2005'. http://www.djmag.com

Im not saying the world of DJing isnt changing, it most definitely is! And the things you can do in the digital domain can be quite incredible, and its very unlimited in its creative uses. BUT, you asked me if I can hear the difference between vinyl and CD, not do I think DJ,s are changing their source formats!

We have microwave ovens today, that we didnt have in 1975, can you taste the difference between a steak cooked under a broiler, or a steak cooked on a grill, or a steak cooked in a microwave? Cooked is cooked, right?

Can you see the difference between B & W films -vs- color films? Your ears are more knowing than you think.

im not a dj either but theres something about vinyl at a club on a mix cd or online when im hearing music that gets me. Its the sounds of the bleepsand scratches ofthe record, makesme feel good.

Did i explain myself correctly?

Yep know what you mean bro . I cant explain it but it gets my adrenaline flowing

Now, Edubz, just like companies PAY sports and movie stars to endorse their products, like colognes and perfumes, and sneakers and other apparel, how many of these BIG name DJ,s do you think were paid to publicly endorse audio gear, especially audio gear aimed at the club and DJ markets? After all, you get Cox to endorse the CDJ,s and every young wannabe that is aspiring to be just like Cox, now wants three CDJ,s just like COX uses! How much free gear and paid for advertisement do the audio companies give said DJ,s?

THIS goes on alot more than YOU may think! Its called " Marketing "! Manufacturers of DJ gear count on the fact that people such as yourself will read magazines aimed at the DJ and club markets, and make purchasing decisions based upon what BIG name is touting their product! They KNEW you would want the CDJ if Tiesto or Cox says its the thing to have!

According to technical wisdom, any amplifier, or speaker, as long as it has flat response, should sound the same! Yet, one amp sounds completely different from another brand of amp, but they both have the same amount of power! No two speakers sound exactly alike! But they show pretty much the same response on a frequency graph, according to the manufacturer, and both handle the same amount of power, but sound completely different from one another! Now you, the end user, listen to said items, and you like one better than the other! Sometimes, you even like the one that doesnt have as good a rating, or isnt as expensive! But, lets assume that all things are in fact equal in audio! Then why does every nightclub sound so different from one another?

Of course, to be fair, digital audio is getting quite good! Compared to the digital audio of just a few years ago, its actually very good! Remember when CD,s sound terrible, I mean really bad? Now they sound good, but not as good as digital sources will sound in 5 years from now!

But, yes, you can hear a difference between CD and vinyl!

Now, Edubz, just like companies PAY sports and movie stars to endorse their products, like colognes and perfumes, and sneakers and other apparel, how many of these BIG name DJ,s do you think were paid to publicly endorse audio gear, especially audio gear aimed at the club and DJ markets? After all, you get Cox to endorse the CDJ,s and every young wannabe that is aspiring to be just like Cox, now wants three CDJ,s just like COX uses! How much free gear and paid for advertisement do the audio companies give said DJ,s?

THIS goes on alot more than YOU may think! Its called " Marketing "! Manufacturers of DJ gear count on the fact that people such as yourself will read magazines aimed at the DJ and club markets, and make purchasing decisions based upon what BIG name is touting their product! They KNEW you would want the CDJ if Tiesto or Cox says its the thing to have!

According to technical wisdom, any amplifier, or speaker, as long as it has flat response, should sound the same! Yet, one amp sounds completely different from another brand of amp, but they both have the same amount of power! No two speakers sound exactly alike! But they show pretty much the same response on a frequency graph, according to the manufacturer, and both handle the same amount of power, but sound completely different from one another! Now you, the end user, listen to said items, and you like one better than the other! Sometimes, you even like the one that doesnt have as good a rating, or isnt as expensive! But, lets assume that all things are in fact equal in audio! Then why does every nightclub sound so different from one another?

Of course, to be fair, digital audio is getting quite good! Compared to the digital audio of just a few years ago, its actually very good! Remember when CD,s sound terrible, I mean really bad? Now they sound good, but not as good as digital sources will sound in 5 years from now!

But, yes, you can hear a difference between CD and vinyl!

I was wondering the same thing, if they got "free stuff" to say these wonderful things about pioneer. Thats another story...

maybe you can tell the difference between vinyl and cd, but did you know vinyl loses sound quality after ever single play? So after you play it, it loses this sound quality, digital doesnt.

People have been and will argue this for years.

vinyl does sound better, but I dont think I could tell the difference in a club. Maybe, yes, maybe no.... but I never really sat there and listened that hard, I usually have a couple drinks in me.

if 4,000 people go to a club, how many of them are really going to be able to tell the difference? And intoxicated they wont be able to tell either.

I was wondering the same thing, if they got "free stuff" to say these wonderful things about pioneer. Thats another story...

maybe you can tell the difference between vinyl and cd, but did you know vinyl loses sound quality after ever single play? So after you play it, it loses this sound quality, digital doesnt.

People have been and will argue this for years.

vinyl does sound better, but I dont think I could tell the difference in a club. Maybe, yes, maybe no.... but I never really sat there and listened that hard, I usually have a couple drinks in me.

if 4,000 people go to a club, how many of them are really going to be able to tell the difference? And intoxicated they wont be able to tell either.

Yes, you are correct to a degree, vinyl does lose some of its highs with each play, the needle/record groove friction! However, its also not as bad as they tell you it is either! If the record becomes severely worn, especially if you are using a misaligned, and worn out needle, then yes, the record quality degrades! But if you maintain your playback setup properly, record wear can be kept to a minimum! the one thing that makes it easy to distinguish CD from Vinyl being played is the bass, nothing kicks like record. A DJ is playing mostly CD,s, and then goes to a record and the whole building starts shaking, theres all this bottom he didnt have in his set up to this point!! And it isnt like you play the record once, and after that the sound is gone! I have and sometimes play records 30 years old and older, and they sound remarkably good, even have highs! However, with time and repeated playings, CD,s also do in fact become unplayable, dirt, scrtaches, or whatever, but after a lot of plays I have CD,s that are unusable, repeated skipping and error, even after thorough cleaning! Perfect Sound Forever?

Hell yes, Pioneer gives stuff to the big name DJ,s to advocate the use of certain brand and models of DJ gear! So does Rane, A & H, and Denon, and Technics! The DJ,s with names get stuff, and paid, the audio companies go for names like Cox, Tiesto, just as Nike pays Michael Jordan to appear in commercials for Air Jordans and they pay him for that AND the use of his name! Selling DJ gear became BIG buisiness! And yes, people, especially aspiring DJ,s will be swayed by what they think a certain name brand DJ uses and is supposed to think of a brands gear! BUT, is all of the AFFORDABLY priced DJ gear really the best of its kind? Is a Hyundai or Saturn really as well made as a BMW 6 or 7 series or even higher level Bentley automobiles? Mass market gear is usually made to fit a certain pricepoint, rather than having been built to specification for a very discerning market! Get the right names, the trend setters of the moment to endorse your product, and watch sales climb!

If you go to Stereo, and it amazes me every time, the kids on the floor KNOW whether the DJ is playing Vinyl or CD, they can hear it through THAT system, just as you could tell immediately back in the Twilo days! Conversely, I do agree that people reach a point in the night, where if they are a little tipsy or high, and the club is packed, and as long as the music is rocking, they dont care any more what it is as long as its good, and they are enjoying themselves.

Yes, manufacturers give gear and pay DJ,s with huge names to endorse their products! And it all looks great in the magazine. Now, if you could just get inside Tiestos house, and see what hes using there, then you would know what he really likes! Many DJ,s have nice setups at home!

honestly as somebody who hits up clubs and is not a dj .. i can care less if a DJ is using CD's or Vinyl .. just as long as he is playing hot music and the vibe is insane i can care less if the dj is using cd's or vinyl .. its all about the music ... aint it?
It is all about the music, but the music is played using recordings and a sound system. For entertainment purposes, the recordings and system need to be of the highest quality.

If your in a club, and the music isnt clear, what good is it? How enjoyable is it to have to struggle to hear the words, and NOT be able to undestand them? Many CD,s especially CDR, and MP3 downloads are third and fourth rate sound quality!

If your in a club, and the system hurts your ears, how good is it? Even though the music might be great music, but is hurting your ears you dont enjoy it like you should!

If your in a club, and the DJ is playing a great song, but off a poor sounding MP3 download, instead of a factory CD, or factory made vinyl record, and doesnt sound good, how good is it?

The DJ, the recordings, and the sound system all work together, and theres synergy between all these things when everything is up to par! Make one part of this equation of mediocre quality, you throw the whole thing off!

Recordings to the DJ are like paint is to an artist, the sound system is the brush and easel. A great DJ takes the best of these, and makes a night that flows like a fine tapestry and takes you on a journey! Using quaility ingredients from the start to create the best final outcome!