Clubplanet Nightlife Community

sunoco 94...

dgmodel

doesnt look like its ever coming back to ny... i wonder if eventually every state will stop selling 94... this is the reason (right from sunoco themselves):

"Thank you for contacting Sunoco regarding the sale of Ultra 94.

Unfortunately Ultra 94 is being converted to Ultra 93 in many Sunoco

markets. Changes outlined in the Energy Bill signed into law by

President Bush make Ultra 94 a difficult product to produce. The most

significant change of the Energy Bill is the use of oxygenates. MTBE,

used as the oxygenate in fuel and a critical component of Ultra 94, is

now being phased out by the Energy Bill requirement of increased ethanol

use. Ethanol does not have the octane enhancing qualities of MTBE.

Ultra 94 has been a great product for Sunoco and we are disappointed in

the elimination, however Sunoco is committed to producing the highest

quality fuel with the new product offering of ultra 93.

Thank you"

its all 91 due to the fact that at that grade it does nothing better for your car

false, high compression engines need higher octane so it doesnt detonate early in the chamber and cause pinging/knocking. my car cannot take anything less than 93 with the software im running on it.

false, high compression engines need higher octane so it doesnt detonate early in the chamber and cause pinging/knocking. my car cannot take anything less than 93 with the software im running on it.

really? thats interesting because southern cali is known as the area that people drive the high performance vehicles and there is absolutely NOWHERE that you can purchase any octane over 91. so since everyone rides on 91, either no one in california has your software or everyone has has pinging/knocking?

its called a marketing ploy marko

really? thats interesting because southern cali is known as the area that people drive the high performance vehicles and there is absolutely NOWHERE that you can purchase any octane over 91. so since everyone rides on 91, either no one in california has your software or everyone has has pinging/knocking?

its called a marketing ploy marko

no they dont run the engine mngmt software i run. (secondly you can buy race fuel 100+ octane, or you can buy octane boosters which are simply comprised of toulene but more importantly the ppl in cali who tune typically go for NOS instead of this method)in any event the car is tuned to my specifications not to california emissions, temperature or humidity levels... One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance."

Quick Lesson since you seem to need one... The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together. The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting. so by putting in it a high compression engine it will ignite prematurely... have any of the cars you owned ever had stamped from the factory "premium unleaded fuel only" if so that means do not go below 91.

one more thing, you may have heard in the new recently ppl claiming their cars are not getting the HP or MPG that they were quoted on the sticker or in the showroom. and lots of companies were slapped with class action suits etc. well this is because the companies would test using premium gas and be located in ideal climate areas... if you look now or listen to commercials youll see that is says these claims are based using premium gasoline etc. and results may vary depending on your choice of fuel.

My bikes 12.5:1 and it WILL run OK on 87-89 I know. Manual says it only needs as high as 91.

How much compression is your car. Unless it's pretty high or running alot of boost, regular pump gas is really all you need.

well first off, since we wanna get completely technical on engines and octane and since i "obviously need" a lesson, lets start by saying that i'm not a gear head and i'm not gonna waste my time on a search engine trying to prove you wrong

what i do know is that "premium only" means 91 and over and putting 93 in a "premium only" car does nothing extra for your car except maybe let it last for 35 years instead of 33 (since thats what I drive and all). what I also know is that some cars such as race cars and super premium engines do require a grade that superceedes anything we can purchase roadside besides going to a specialized gas depot. on top of that, i know that typically....in fact EVERYONE I have ever encountered to this point before you has upgraded their engine, not from a 91 to a 93 type of engine, but to one that requires real premium gas which is 101 or so..cant remember. what i also know is a typical high compression engine requires 91, not 93 unless there is some outlying factor such as your car might have

You must have some real crazy software to your car that you'd like to share that requires only 93. and since you put all that effort to get your car to the point where you can claim that your car can only handle 93, why not make it a race car engine that can only take 100+ and really brag? since you wanna try to call me out and all

My bikes 12.5:1 and it WILL run OK on 87-89 I know. Manual says it only needs as high as 91.

How much compression is your car. Unless it's pretty high or running alot of boost, regular pump gas is really all you need.

i am not running a stock ecu/software... i had APR install software on a spare ecu. i am running twin turbos approx. 14psi each so 28psi in total on a 2.7L 6spd. stock compression is 9.3:1 im looking for the paperwork to tell you exactly what the compression ratio is now...

You must have some real crazy software to your car that you'd like to share that requires only 93. and since you put all that effort to get your car to the point where you can claim that your car can only handle 93, why not make it a race car engine that can only take 100+ and really brag? since you wanna try to call me out and all

my ecu has four slots for four different programs, 91, 93, 100, 101+. (so if i was trying to brag i could say i can run 101+ but considering its about 5.00 a gallon here, i dont run it in my car for everyday use...) anyway i dont even know why im entertaining this...

Stage III on 93:

dyno_b5s4_s3_93_clean.jpg

Stage III on 104:

dyno_b5s4_s3_104_clean.jpg

Just curious as to what you consider a typical high compression engine?

when you squeeze one of those grip thingys as hard as you can.....

i'm seriously done with this convo. point is dgmodel tried to call me out after i made a blanket statement about 99% of the automobiles that run on 91 octane and started gettin all specific

see you guys on that car board

i'm seriously done with this convo. point is dgmodel tried to call me out after i made a blanket statement about 99% of the automobiles that run on 91 octane and started gettin all specific about one particular car

i wasnt trying to call anyone out. i started off from the begining saying MY car not all cars. you went off one some tangent...

but you won this debate... one more victory for you. good job.

Markos car runs non stock software , Its optimized for 93 octane , the chip advances the timing , runs more boost if he doesnt run 93 the car will ping , and the knock sensors will retard the timing , making the car run like ass. Its simple , but were comparing apples and oranges here.

Markos car runs non stock software , Its optimized for 93 octane , the chip advances the timing , runs more boost if he doesnt run 93 the car will ping , and the knock sensors will retard the timing , making the car run like ass. Its simple , but were comparing apples and oranges here.

we are....I was talkin about high performance cars and all of a sudden it switched to high compression with specific requirements