Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Love review

Taken from another Board:

"Sunday, after hearing that my friend got negged and went home, I left Le Souk and decided to check out Club Love.

1jq1206qb8003dp.jpg

Whoa!... Deep!

At 2 AM when I got there, there was a line--about 10 people--but it only lasted about 10 mins (it was one man enter one man leave at that point), the liners were all affable and gregarious, making jokes, talking to strangers, and the door people were actually trying to alleviate the line. Compared to the line at Le Souk: which I've stood on for 30 mins, everyone anxious or annoyed, and the line herder making no secret that guys are personas non grata and good looking people get prefential treatment, it was refreshing.

1jq1206v18001gw.jpg

Also, it was free (that night anyway), and pretty jumping! If Le Souk is your crowd you might not jive with the Love-ites; they are quite possibly the antithesis of the Le Soukian beautiful upscale yupsters. Lots of multi-racial, lower-class, oddly-dressed, hip-hop culture, sweaty, smelly, bugger-outers...

But they were on just a different level of partying. Yoga-cizing, whole-body-gyrating, You're-OK-I'm-OK-ulating. No headnodding, no bunny-hopping raverdance, not even a breakdancing circle. And their fervor and intensity was impressive.

I had heard people raving about Love's sound system but you really have no idea until you hear it! So loud, and clear as a... very clear thing! Also I like what they do with the lights. The main floor is a boxy black room. But it's not dark. Hectic lights keep the place visible, and I dig that they will turn on all the blacklights periodically for extended periods. A lot of patrons are dark-skinned and wear lots of white and bright colors and the effect is mildly trippy.

1jq1207dl8002kd.jpg

I like also that the dance floor is a room devoted to dancing. There is no bar in it around which stationary people tend to agglomerate, and the layout is centrally focused (as opposed to DJ-booth focused).

The music is hard to describe in absolute terms or deconstruct. It is largely varied and features many elements of worldly styles: African and Latin American drums, Spanish guitar, Indian sitar, Middle-Eastern... whatever those things are. Uplifting is a term that frequently comes to mind. Claussell played till 4:20 and threw in some really disparate, off-the-beaten-path tunes at the end. Great stuff!

So if you're not worried about the next person next to you, if it doesn't matter what they have on, if it doesn't matter what they smell like, Love might be your thing."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was there have to say this review of New Years Day at Love is on the money.

Awesome!!!Glad you had a Good time..cool pics too bad they didnt get any of the cubby hole room we call it the fraggle rock room.i was working coatcheck for this party and it was chaos at one point i was taking coats next door to the office but everyone handled it really well sorry for the long line at coatcheck lol.but yes please u guys it really is a cool place to go chill and dance and talk to some really diverse peeps.sorry didnt get to meet you afa i would have if i knew u were there.

www.musicislove.net

I got this link from another board. "http://www.gsany.com/projects6.html

I got this off of Gary Stewart's website. Looks like the making of the sound system at Love. Absolutely cannot wait. This place is serious!"

Awesome PICS!!!! thats love's system alright!!!whats nice is the wooden floor is hollowed out on the bottom like 3 inches really makes the bass go right through you.Thanks for the pics:)

LOVE - 8th Street New York, New York - 2004

Sound is at the core of every memorable nightclub that ever was. We can still feel Studio 54 and Paradise Garage in our bones. In fact, that was the inspiration for our new project, Love, in NYC.

It all started with the owner’s desire to give back to NYC something he feels the city once had and now has lost: a groove. A fully analog system with amplified speaker stacks on the floor and flown tweeter arrays, combined with a motorized DJ console and custom SME tone arms on the turntables, are a few of the elements that make up the system that will deliver that groove that

the world-class DJs are going to be sending to the NYC crowds night after night at Love.

Dont cha just LOVE that?

I was there on on New Years too. I first was at 718 sessions and left a little bit before 12. Headed straight for Love and waited almost an hour but it as was mentioned the people on line are cool and talk to each other to kill the time. A lot of 718'ers dropped by during the night afterward as well. I took pleasure of the drink specials and free food on hand. Lots of LOVE in the place!

I didn't check my bag because of the massive line of people coming in or leaving so I might have missed you starscream. At one point were you working outside?

When it got less crowded I put on my Bootsy outfit so you guys might have saw me then. :hat: heh heh

I was there on on New Years too. I first was at 718 sessions and left a little bit before 12. Headed straight for Love and waited almost an hour but it as was mentioned the people on line are cool and talk to each other to kill the time. A lot of 718'ers dropped by during the night afterward as well. I took pleasure of the drink specials and free food on hand. Lots of LOVE in the place!

I didn't check my bag because of the massive line of people coming in or leaving so I might have missed you starscream. At one point were you working outside?

When it got less crowded I put on my Bootsy outfit so you guys might have saw me then. :hat: heh heh

i wasnt working the door but i was in and out most of the night bringing coats back and forth from the office next door.soo if u saw someone walking up or down the stairs with a handful of jackets on hangers that was me lol.i did get to catch a little break though and hung out in the fraggle rock lounge and met some really cool peeps.i thought all you guys were great and soo well behaved and were nice and patient at the door and with coatcheck.Glad again everyone enjoyed themselves i think love has a great vibe about it!!hope to meet some of you there sometime.great party there this sat 10pm-6am not sure if ill be there yet got a cold gonna see how i feel tomorrow.last weekend took alot out of me did coatcheck at 6's and 8's than went to Juniors new yerars party than got to relax about 2 hours than had to go to love cuz the party started at 4pm or maybe 5 i cant remember its a blur lol.

This venue is the best kept secret in nyc.

The sound system, lighting, and dj booth are top notch. An easy contender for best sound system in the city.

The sound system was designed by Gary Stewart Audio (same maker of legendary sound systems found at Sound Factory, Vinyl, Centro Fly, Palladium, list goes on...).

But aside from this venue having a great sound system, the staff are super nice and the vibe is different from any place I've been to in the past couple years.

-

This venue is the best kept secret in nyc.

The sound system, lighting, and dj booth are top notch. An easy contender for best sound system in the city.

The sound system was designed by Gary Stewart Audio (same maker of legendary sound systems found at Sound Factory, Vinyl, Centro Fly, Palladium, list goes on...).

But aside from this venue having a great sound system, the staff are super nice and the vibe is different from any place I've been to in the past couple years.

-

:aright: that's really nice of you.they way people are talking this isnt gonna be a best kept secret anymore lol.

-

You've heard the name, heard about the sound system, heard about the vibe.

Come see what all the buzz is about and join us as we open our Friday nights at LOVE to the beats of some of our favorite local dj's.

This Friday, January 13th, 2005

United Underground presents: Local NYC @ LOVE

In no particular order...

Jason Jollins (Acute Recordings, crobar nyc)

Michael Hime (Unknown People)

Dj Elon (Ejc Collective)

Stadenco (Housework NYC)

Zach Roth (Chika NYC)

Danny Veltri (Groovanauts.com)

10pm - end???

LOVE

(179 Mcdougal @ 8th street)

LocalNYCLove.jpg