Clubplanet Nightlife Community

music determines your friends

a friend told me this a while ago. seems true, doesn't it? people i go out with all listen to trance, house, techno, maybe D&B for variety. one of my very closest friends listens to rap, hip-hop, Bob Marley, etc., and he and i barely ever hang out

when i meet a new person, if i learn their music tastes are different from mine, then it's kinda an automatic "we don't have much in common, we wouldn't enjoy going out and doing the same things, ok, catch you later, maybe"

i like to think this separation is more substantial than just "i think your music sucks." wouldn't you say there are different mentalities to different music? IMO, hip-hop seems to just be about fronting, having money and ho's, and being badass. alternative sometimes seems isolationist: challenging everything. metal is just angry. not saying that this characterizes the people who listen to these genres of music, because some (not many) of my friends do

ok, bring on the bashing

------------------

FOR SALE: ROOMMATE. CHEAP

Hmm... I got plenty of them friends you're talking about... it's personality that counts the most.

But shit, do I hate peeps that wanna fuck with my cdplayer/radio in my car. It's like I'm the fucking dj in my car... don't like it? Get the fuck out...

------------------

Dream a little dream... and fawk the dejavus and nightmares!

caveman.gif

I disagree with that. I listen to mostly house, some trance, but I love Dave Matthews. One of my closest friends listens to nothing but hip-hop, and that has no effect on our friendship. In fact, the majority of my friends listen to hip hop, and I hang out with them more than my friends who listen to electronic music. I agree though that personality is the most important thing. One thing I have noticed is that the people who I go out partying with to clubs are a lot closer to me than the people who I live with (who I don't go out with). Somwhow doiung drugs together, as bad as it may sound, does make you bond.

------------------

Music Makes Magic

Originally posted by ezdreamer:

Hmm... I got plenty of them friends you're talking about... it's personality that counts the most.

Gonna have to agree with this one. I dont think music defines who I hang out with simply because I enjoy doing many things.

Sure, I love going to the clubs, however, I can also hit a movie, a show, a museum, hell a ride to Atlantic City. There are lots of things I enjoy to do that can involve diferent kinds of people with varying music tastes.

And, no music is needed while watching the sunrise or the sun set below the horizon

cwm11.gif

------------------

blacksunrising2.gif

druid3.gif

Most of my closest friends ARE my clubbing buddies. I agree that personality is what counts, but for some reason I also feel I don't have much in common if the person's musical tastes are different from mine. In other words, I could probably do a "lunch" or a "dinner" with this person, but we could never go out together.

So, I'm with deanna 100% on this issue.

------------------

"I would believe only in a god who could dance."

Nietzche

I agree, I mean, obviously that's stereotyping a little, but 75% of the people I know who love rap kinda act hard, or at least did when they started, etc. etc....

or people who love metal are more angry with the world,e tc...

But of course most of us like more than 1 style, like I still enjoy hip hop, rock n roll, etc... even though I LOVVVE my UPBEAT ELECTRONIC DANCE!!!

BUt when I meet someone, if they're like "I love beats" then I'm thinking "NICE!!! we gotta chill!!!" and within a week or 2 we're drivin aroung with a blunt and some beats....

------------------

"He who loves not wine, women & song, remains a fool his whole life long.."

-Martin Luther King

most of my friends are my clubbin buddies . . . rob and i started talking because of clubs/music . . .

i just naturally get along better with people who want to listen to the same music as me, love the same things i do, etc . . .

personality, of course, is very important, but now that i think about it - everyone i normally hang out with listens to the same music i do. smile.gif

luv,

brandie

------------------

"And those who were seen dancing

were thought to be insane by those

who could not hear the music."

"To love someone is something..to be loved by someone is something else..

but to be loved by the one you love is everything.." Rob AAF

loves2cox@netscape.net

AIM: loves2cox

I agree......I have many friends that listen to other genres of music but when it comes down to the friends I have the most fun with and feel most comfortable around.....it is those who like what I like.......for example, I went to Limelight 3 months ago with some friends that like hip-hop and I ended up not even hanging with them at the club.......I actually hung with people I didn't even know instead because my friends wouldn't leave the hip-hop room.......I was willing to hang with them for a while in there but they wouldn't return the favor......if they liked club shit, the night would have been 1000 times better.......I don't think its that you can't have friends who don't club, but creates a better relationship sometimes.......sad but true.

Mikey

------------------

"If there are two of us, I will gladly bite it in half....."

When I'm not @ twilo..i'm doin the trendy lounge scene w/my sorority sisters from college who have outgrown rolling...I can't talk to them bout new tracks, pvd or tiesto, twilo...the whole scene. Not only do they know not know bout it...they str8 up don't care. I'm much closer w/my friends that I go clubbing w/... I'm extremely passionate bout trance and i love discussing it with others. Personality is important but muzik taste is crucial to me.

Originally posted by twilogoddess:

When I'm not @ twilo..i'm doin the trendy lounge scene w/my sorority sisters from college who have outgrown rolling...I can't talk to them bout new tracks, pvd or tiesto, twilo...the whole scene. Not only do they know not know bout it...they str8 up don't care. I'm much closer w/my friends that I go clubbing w/... I'm extremely passionate bout trance and i love discussing it with others.

Personality is important but muzik taste is crucial to me.

I am totally feeling you on this one.

Ever since I have graduated college I have basically had two different sets of friends. The ones that I go to lounges and bars with( my college friends, fraternity brothers etc..)

and then my clubbing buddies-basically the Clubplabet crew(You know who you are)

It kind of sucks cause not many of my other friends like the whole scene. My occupation revolves around it and so does my weekends and it definitely takes time away from seeing some of my oldest and best friends. Its just a shame since this is what makes me happy right now and I cant experience it with some of them.

Oh well........ I'll probably see you all at S&D friday!!!!!

hehehehehe

-Andy

Twilogoddess check yer pm's

------------------

And Everything Will Flow....Flow....Flow....

andy.gif

Well, I kind of see what deanna11 is saying, but only to an extent. Yeah, it's a lot easier to meet people who are into the same stuff as you. But isn't variety what makes life interesting? I think life would be pretty damn boring if ALL of my friends were into electronic music. One of my very best friends only listens to Sarah McLoughlin (sp?) and all that shit, but we hang out all the time. I love having friends who are into different stuff--friends to go to the opera with, friends to go to a jazz club with, friends to go clubbing with etc etc etc. That's what keeps things interesting!!

BTW I'm not bashing anyone, I know that most people don't base their friendships solely around music preferences cwm7.gif

Your Friends should respect you for who you are.. If listening to Dance Music is apart of who you are; then they should respect that. We all have different taste. As friends, you have to find a common ground. That common ground should include; doing something, every now and then that everyone will enjoy.. If you cannot find a common ground, and you feel someone is forcing their taste on you. It is time to find some new friends. Just don’t make the mistake of caterogozing people; by the music they listen to. If you do that you will miss the opportunity; of meeting some very intriguing people. No Bashing ;just my $0.02……..

Peace,

Sobeton

cwm32.gif

I don't think music determines the ties you have with your friends, but I think it says alot about what interests people have. For instance, my roommate loved Phish. I absolutely despise Phish. I went to one of their shows with her, and it was awesome, but I'm not into that. We are the best of friends. She listens to my "beats" and I actually got her into the club scene because of MY music.

I don't just listen to house/trance though. My CD collection ranges from Paul Van Dyk to James Taylor. I love all kinds of music, but I listen to different types depending on what kind of mood I am in or what kind of mood I want to create for myself. That's the beauty of music. It has that mood-altering, let my mind free, type effect.

Back to topic though. I don't think music determines your friends but I think it says something about their personality and what interests they might have, or used to have. If I look in your CD case and see primarily house and trance, I know you like to go clubbing. Etc, etc, etc. Just my opinion

------------------

grenda.gif

some of my closest friends at home wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between d+b or trance. it's all crap to them. but i love them anyway.....its' just that when i'm in the city, i do different shit to entertain myself.

------------------

there's no time like the present to start procrastinating!

Originally posted by sobeton:

Just don’t make the mistake of caterogozing people; by the music they listen to. If you do that you will miss the opportunity; of meeting some very intriguing people. No Bashing ;just my $0.02……..

Peace,

Sobeton

cwm32.gif

damn, i knew someone would figure i'm a shallow, prejudiced bitch from that.

my friends who don't have the same interests as me, we have other things to define our friendship. obviously. we have to, or else there's no basis for any friendship

------------------

FOR SALE: ROOMMATE. CHEAP