Clubplanet Nightlife Community

should i move to san fran?

stickman

i'm a musician in the midwest, and am choosing a big city to move to w/my girlfriend, and maybe my brother as well. i'm a drummer/percussionist/sequence programmer that has been heavily involved w/groove-based music (i.e. funk, fusion, some hip-hop, etc.), and am really wanting to get together my ideal project, which is live electronica for the most part w/live looping, etc., w/some other grooves thrown in as well.

so.... i'm wondering which electronica genres/sub genres are the strongest in san fran. i checked out chicago, and it's definitely house city there, w/some DnB going on as well. is san fran well known for a particular dance scene?

i'm also wondering which live music genres are the strongest as well. i know NYC is the hot spot for the jazz cats, LA for the rockers (of course both spots have just about anything). is there a direction the san fran live scene really pushes?

i checked out this thread: http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?t=279574, and it was pretty informative about the san fran scene.... just trying to get some more info here....

p.s.--i'm also wondering what the price range of the cheapest 1 or 2 bedroom house, and also 1 or 2 bedroom apt, would be in san fran, and if these are two expensive, what surrounding cities are lower cost but still close to the city. BTW, would the cheapest place in san fran be in a rough neighborhood? are there even rough neighborhoods in san fran?

p.s.--i'm also wondering what the price range of the cheapest 1 or 2 bedroom house, and also 1 or 2 bedroom apt, would be in san fran, and if these are two expensive, what surrounding cities are lower cost but still close to the city. BTW, would the cheapest place in san fran be in a rough neighborhood? are there even rough neighborhoods in san fran?

san francisco is mostly house. maybe you should reevaluate which cities offer the best chance of beginning a music career. the expense of n. california is ridiculous. unless you have some other source of income, it will be incredibly difficult to live (more like exist) there.

anywhere in the city of san francisco will cost a lot of money, even the "rough" areas. a 1 bedroom the size of a closet in south san francisco or the tenderloin would still be over $1k, easily. parts of oakland, particularly around the lake area have bart and are really nice, but kinda expensive. check oakland first, then if still nothing, try san mateo, hayward, san leandro, etc., i would avoid richmond... like the plague.