Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Am I the only one who didn't enjoy Picotto last night?

Originally posted by housemusic4evr:

Melodic trance is old news... only trance?? sorry, but there is no ride like a dt ride...and in house land... And how does one dance at 150bpm anyway?? without drugs??? I just think thats a bold statement... trance can be a ride, and many other genres..

Melodic trance is old news... only trance?? sorry, but there is no ride like a dt ride...and in house land... And how does one dance at 150bpm anyway?? without drugs??? I just think thats a bold statement... trance can be a ride, and many other genres..

oops my bad...sorry bout da 3 posts

cwm8.gif

[This message has been edited by twilogoddess (edited 12-18-2000).]

145bpm is not house but progressive trance, and if you think that RnG and johnny vicious big progressive build up stuff is house, you are making yourself look like a fool. That is the trademark of a real underground DJ, NO big build up tracks and anthem like tunes all night. Thats the mark of a commercial DJ. Digweed, Sasha, DT, etc will take you on a ride that builds up for hours... Thats a ride to me...

-Adam

Originally posted by charrails:

I don't want to sound like another "technical" wise guy, but I assume you already know that House is much broader than just hard house... I mean, DT, eddie baez, Junior, Digweed, Bad Boy Bill, Picotto, Jonathon Peters, all spin house (maybe not ALL house, but they all incorporate it into their sets) and that't not too mention deep house, soulful house, disco house, ... I'm just saying that there are many types of "house".... I happen to really like the hard house/ with buildups as well, but you know what I'm sayin....

House = Whitney Houston

House = Hennes & Cold

House = Armand Van Helden

nothing alike, but they are house

------------------

House This! :) www.djadamf.com djadamf@aol.com

145bpm is not house but progressive trance, and if you think that RnG and johnny vicious big progressive build up stuff is house, you are making yourself look like a fool. That is the trademark of a real underground DJ, NO big build up tracks and anthem like tunes all night. Thats the mark of a commercial DJ. Digweed, Sasha, DT, etc will take you on a ride that builds up for hours... Thats a ride to me...

-Adam

i think you need to be careful what you say bro

145 bpm does not mean its not house. pvd plays some house pitched up b/c he always has around a 140-145 bpm.

not to mention that chicago hard house is around 150-160

so just b/c its fast does not mean its not house

-Rob

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

-Adam

Are you serious??? So what you're saying is that Johnny Vicious is a commercial dj. That must be one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this board. Check him out at a club one night and then try saying that he plays anthems.

-Adam

Thanks to the other guys who responded to this... I agree with housemusic4evers point about how Sasha, DT keeps the build up going and avoid too many anthemy tracks, (although a track that Sasha plays on Friday may end up being a popular anthem in 6 months - but that's a different story, but there is a reason that the word house is prefaced by so many other descriptive words like "deep" or "funky" or "Progressive" or "hard"..... because house is full of variety... try not to say things like "you make yourself look stupid" I mean, you just make yourself look bad....let's be civilized, guy

------------------

"He who loves not wine, women & song, remains a fool his whole life long.."

-Martin Luther King

jv not commercial?? oh ok, he might be a great dj, but he's as commercial as it gets... heard him many times... one build up after another... the fact that all his production work is commercial says it all too. Thats fine and all, but i doubt youll see him anytime soon at twilo or stereo in montreal...

------------------

I don't want to sound like another "technical" wise guy, but I assume you already know that House is much broader than just hard house... I mean, DT, eddie baez, Junior, Digweed, Bad Boy Bill, Picotto, Jonathon Peters, all spin house (maybe not ALL house, but they all incorporate it into their sets) and that't not too mention deep house, soulful house, disco house, ... I'm just saying that there are many types of "house".... I happen to really like the hard house/ with buildups as well, but you know what I'm sayin....

House = Whitney Houston

House = Hennes & Cold

House = Armand Van Helden

nothing alike, but they are house

I can't believe u put eddie baez in the same sentance as Picotto, Junior,Digweed.

EDDIE BAEZ SUX!!!

Originally posted by twilogoddess:

I can't believe u put eddie baez in the same sentance as Picotto, Junior,Digweed.

EDDIE BAEZ SUX!!!

uh well i think the whole point was to show an eclectic grouping of dj's, not putting them in the same "league" but he named dj's of different genre's and you people lost it b/c you think he's comparing them

get off it already

digweed is a great dj. but that doesn't mean there can't be other good dj's out there. i'm sick of everyone putting down every dj b/c they're not sasha. SO WHAT???

oh you won't hear johnny vicious in stereo or twilo?

well ya know what, you'll never hear reid speed, or kamikaze , or spacegirl etc...

so does that mean reid speed isn't good? just b/c she chooses to spin two step?

jeez, i love twilo as much as everyone else, but its ridiculous that dj's are being based on whether they play there or not. some styles will never play there and its ridiculous.

just as well, I'll put any dj i feel like putting next to sasha or diggers or DT or anyone. That's my choice and i dont' need people telling me i'm outta line for it.

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

This isnt a comparison of who's good or bad... This is about style... DT, diggers, etc are underground dj's... They play to a crowd... They have their own unique music.. the majority of their set is unknown to the crowd, they work off of the energy in the music. Vicious, Baez, etc are good dj's just commercial dj's.. They work off of familiarity in the music. i.e. people go to hear them play FOR a crowd... people expect to hear music they know. Of course every dj has his 'bombs' stuff no one else has, but commercial dj's are there more to play FOR a crowd, as opposed to TO a crowd... Its like a cover band vs a band playing its own music... To the commercial people, they get excited when they hear something they know, to them thats a good dj, to the underground crowd, they get excited by the energy in the music... imho...

------------------

This isnt a comparison of who's good or bad... This is about style... DT, diggers, etc are underground dj's... They play to a crowd... They have their own unique music.. the majority of their set is unknown to the crowd, they work off of the energy in the music. Vicious, Baez, etc are good dj's just commercial dj's.. They work off of familiarity in the music. i.e. people go to hear them play FOR a crowd... people expect to hear music they know. Of course every dj has his 'bombs' stuff no one else has, but commercial dj's are there more to play FOR a crowd, as opposed to TO a crowd... Its like a cover band vs a band playing its own music... To the commercial people, they get excited when they hear something they know, to them thats a good dj, to the underground crowd, they get excited by the energy in the music... imho...

i don't buy that. i mean its your right to your own opinion, but i'm gonna express my right to disagree.

the only difference between DT and diggers, w/ the commercial dj's(of which vicious is not one i'm sorry. if you've heard him lately you'd know, can't just go by productions) is that what they *want* to play is regarded as 'underground' and better. its really all crap. the funny thing is, that what everyone considers 'underground' b/c its those guys, is mad commercial in europe.

and theres more people who know a greater majority of digweee's etc's.. set then vicious, i'll gurantee it.

tell me this, where exactly is the underground aspect regarding sasha, digweed, carl cox??

they get paid a ridiculous amount of money to spin records in front of huge crowds who pay big money.

so where exactly is that underground your talking about?

the only guys i even consider underground are the vinyl guys b/c there is no bar, no blown up promotion, no huge cover and its in a shady place

------------------

hmr3.gif

what??? please, i dont need to take drugs to dance to hard ass beats. The music gets me pumping all the time, music is my only drug of course hard ass beats only.

cwm7.gif

------------------

aim: amafrk1

amafrk1@yahoo.com

without getting the underground vs commericla argument debate riled up again (seen it too many times on here), you don't hear any of the songs from dt or digweed on the US radio or any radio promotions for any of their nights. The same cannot be said of the general nyc/nj/li (is there really a difference?) djs. The scene and music industry is completely different in europe and I don't think it can be compared. The major labels dictate what will be played on the radio here while new artists actually break some ground over there.

Success does not equal commercialization.

2 step is crap and it doesn't matter who plays it. Pick your favorite r and b vocal and add a dumbed down breakbeat to make 2 step.

Originally posted by twilogoddess:

I mean, DT, eddie baez, Junior, Digweed, Bad Boy Bill, Picotto, Jonathon Peters, all spin house (maybe not ALL house, but they all incorporate it into their sets) and that't not too mention deep house, soulful house, disco house, ... I'm just saying that there are many types of "house"....

EDDIE BAEZ SUX!!!

Hey..! I'm not saying he's the man, (although you have to admit, he is in the BIg time) but he is a house DJ, prolly the epidome of NYC/Domestic/Tribal/Vocal House...I'm more a progressive/trance lover, but as a DJ, I do wish I was the one they called when they opened Exit, or when Roxy wants a new night, or when Webster Hall wants to be revitalized...

------------------

Jewel Promotions invites you to CHECK OUT NYC's Newest PROGRESSIVE party SATURDAYS at WEBSTER HALL....

FOR GUESTLIST/REDUCED ADMISSION/INFO e-mail:

jewelz917@yahoo.com or mention the "Jewel" list at the door.

"NOT THE WEBSTER HALL GRANDMA USED TO GO TO"

Thanks PFloyd40 -

for actually reading my post, not pulling things outta context...

I feel like we're on the same page...I mean..I went to Exit and heard whoever opened for Boris (or Boris?) play Bruce Springsteen into Ordinary World, and It was one of the cheesiest moments I had ever heard.

a few months later, I heard Sandra Collins throw on Ordinary World at the Height of her set, and it ROCKEd, and I would call her set more underground....I don't know my point, but someone on clubnyc would say Boris sucks hes mainstream, and Sandra Collins rawks! she's underground !!! but she played a song that was big at Exit on a Saturday, 2 months later, at Gatecrasher of all parties...A lotta this is a bunch of crap...

Eddie mixes what he mixes, and he does it pretty well, well enuff to rise to the top of the NY scene, which is an accomplishment...I don't even like his song selection (at times), but I can mention his name, you know?

and people will argue about something, and then forget and think they were arguing something else- like housemusic4ever - I was only saying that there is more than 1 style of house, not who is Underground vs. Mainstream...

sometimes it's gotta be a challenge to mix songs that everyone knows into each other and add your own style to it...If you always mix shit noone's ever heard, how do they know what is your skills, and what is actually part of the song...

sorry so long

so long

------------------

Jewel Promotions invites you to CHECK OUT NYC's Newest PROGRESSIVE party SATURDAYS at WEBSTER HALL....

FOR GUESTLIST/REDUCED ADMISSION/INFO e-mail:

jewelz917@yahoo.com or mention the "Jewel" list at the door.

"NOT THE WEBSTER HALL GRANDMA USED TO GO TO"

Rob, you should have read hte rest of my post. I stated why 2 step was crap.

A simplified breakbeat: Music that depends on rhythms instead of melodies ought to have some sort of creative rhythm. I haven't heard any 2 step hythms that were anything special. They are no better than a constant thunk bassline that plagues (or has it passed)ny hard house.

The vocals are less than imaginative. I have this problem with msot vocals, but all te 2 step I've heard has had vocals. Haven't hte sappy lyrics about men been sorta overdone at this point? I'd rather listen t osome words that actually expresses something mildly profound and thoughtful. Fugazi anyone? Sonic Youth? Put Kim Gordon's voice in 2 step. I'm sure that will go over well, lol.

A lot of the dark stuff is getting a lil boring too because mroe producers are trying to cash in w/o really knowing what it means to be dark and moody.

Originally posted by Wise Ass:

[b

2 step is crap and it doesn't matter who plays it. Pick your favorite r and b vocal and add a dumbed down breakbeat to make 2 step.

oh thats a brilliant argument

what a pathetic response

its not what you like therefore its crap. exactly what everyone argues. " oh its not digweed, automatically shit. oh trance isn't in anymore..." blah blah blah

the way i see it if trance isn't in anymore and less people like it then the ones left were they only real fans in the first place. everyone else was just into it b/c *it was in*

thats garbage, i like what i like and don't give a fuck if its not in. i happen to like almost every genre out there to tell you the truth so i enjoy digweed as much as everyone else, but just b/c someone is spinnign two step, or chicago hard house b/c they like it don't mean that they suck.

so whats gonna happen when all this dark stuff thats *in* starts to become less *in*

theres gonna be plenty of people who leave that shit behind and move on to something else. I won't, b/c i don't give a fuck whether anyone else likes it or not

------------------

hmr3.gif

Originally posted by Nolimit:

Yo, Im over this.

whats your point?

------------------

hmr3.gif