Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Velvet Rope Factor

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking for a while (okay, like 10 minutes -- I'm bad at being quiet :laugh2: ) and have a question. Is getting into classy, fun clubs with smart people and good music really as complicated and exclusionary as it seems? A girlfriend and I travel a lot together, but we spend most of our time shopping, eating and drinking wine at bars. The club scene wasn't something that really appealed to us until now.

We live in Texas, so standing in lines or getting behind velvet ropes has never been an issue. You want to get in somewhere, you just pay at the door and go have fun.

So now we're planning a trip to NYC and the thought of getting turned away seems kind of humiliating. Is planning an evening at a club even worth it? Am I over-thinking this? :type:

yes your over thinking......unless u live in a trailer park in Texas and have a few teeth missing,and no upper lip.act like youve gone clubbing 1000 times in the city.dont shy back youll be fine.are u thinking like going to Pacha or Crobar?no worries.

No, she said a place to meet interesting, sophisticated people, not a bunch of roided up guineas with spikey hair on GHB, so crobar and the ilk are most likely out. If you want to go somewhere that is actually cool and exclusionary, it comes down to this, are you attractive? If you and your friend are hot, and you show up with just the two of you girls, chances are you will get in, but to be sure, if you go earlier in the evening it ups your chances.

Is getting into classy, fun clubs with smart people and good music really as complicated and exclusionary as it seems?

It's only complicated if you go to those snooty lounges where you've gotta be on a list and be dropping like $500 minimum for a table/bottles. Those places suck anyways; they're all fluff and no substance.

If you're looking to go somewhere where there's good music and a good crowd, you should have no problems getting in so long as you dress the part. Clubs aren't usually too picky w/ girls' attire, so as long as you look neat and presentable, you should be fine.

If you need any suggestions for clubs, shoot me a PM and I'll help you out.

Guest silverball

thers two types of guestlists in NYC clubs, the list for people with the reduced admissions that end at a certain time and then the guestlist for industry folks that never closes. Also at a lot of places where MUSIC and DANCE is not what the place about. But its about TRENDY FASHION TOP 40 MUSIC and BOTTLES n MODELS and PRANCERS NON DANCERS clubs there guestlist is bullshit. Thats just an excuse for them to tell you your not on the list so you cant come in cause they dont like the way you look, per say. Have fun in nyc though. What type of djs your into and what type of scene and music?

Thanks for the info, everyone. I think our plan will be to catch a great DJ at a big club the first night and then maybe hang out a smaller club (the sit around drinking martinis kind) the second night. I'll need to work on my hotness. Is there some kind of smiley for "hotness"? :devil:

I'm trying to cram all the best of NYC into two days and it is not easy.

Silverball, to answer your question about DJ's, right now I like DJ Cut Creator. He plays on Saturdays at a club in my town (Austin). But to be honest, I haven't heard many. I go to see lots and lots of bands play live, but I'm just now getting into (at a late age, I guess -- I'm in my early thirties) the whole club scene.

Silverball, to answer your question about DJ's, right now I like DJ Cut Creator. He plays on Saturdays at a club in my town (Austin). But to be honest, I haven't heard many. I go to see lots and lots of bands play live, but I'm just now getting into (at a late age, I guess -- I'm in my early thirties) the whole club scene.

silverball is some loser whos trying to be me and posting shit ive typed like 3 yrs ago dont pay him mind.

With that said, might i suggest you give me or mention the dates your planning on coming down. And i will let you know whats going on, right now if your into house music and at the same time a good looking venue than CIELO would be your perfect choice. Cause there in the trendy section of nyc and have a tight door policy aside from mon and weds, and its small about 300 capacity and brings in some of the best djs.

Also it depends on what your l;ooking for in a night out, good house music with dancing, drug dens, trendy wannabes, fashion pretty people places, celeb places that basically play music you will hear on the radio.