Clubplanet Nightlife Community

PAUL VAN DYK review from Roseland Ballroom

Hey kid-o's:

paulmichael600.gif

I only went to see Paul last night after I got off from working at Bank. I went hoping to see him since I haven't seen him in about 7 years. I had to talk my way through 5 security guards to make it to him. HE'S AWESOME!!!! It was like we picked up right were we left off. I 1st heard Paul the 1st time he spun in America (at Simon's in '93) and quickly became good friends with him. Granted he lived in Berlin so we didn't exactly have 1,000 chances to get to know each other extremely well but the time we did spend together when he would come to the club was just fuckin' amazing.

What did you guys think of him last night? I only heard the last hour and I liked what I heard (esp the "Superfly" mix he played). Thanks to Kevin J, who's on the board, I know the song (he turned me onto it in the first couple of weeks of me going back out).

I finally posted Paul's 1st set in the USA after OK'ing it with him last night. If you go to my Myspace page it's there. Be aware tho: he wasn't playing trance back then. It was more faster, harder progressive house. IT WAS GOOD!!!! The best set I've ever heard.

i was actually working security that night and i was about 10 feet away from that picture u posted.... when u introduced yourself paul had NO CLUE who u were... lololol

Huh? Paul totally remembered me, at least if he didn't he gave one hell of a performance. If he didn't then why did he come right down when he saw me and tell me he totally knew who I was? He was talking on backstage up the stairs with his 2 friends and came right down to me when he saw me. If he didn't know me then he somehow remembered every single detail of our relationship that started 13 years ago. My first question to him was "Do you remember who I am" and he gave a 100% reassuring "yes". I think he would have been like "sorry, but where do I know you from?" since he's a very sincere and honest guy. I doubt Paul would have bullshited me just to appease some unknown fan and I really doubt he would have let someone he didn't know past the security guard. If his memory was that bad then I dont' think he would have remembered the full name of my best friend from Simon's since I was closer to him than my best friend was. Whatever tho - if he did all that and didn't know me then it just shows to me that Paul is the nicest guy out there.