Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Congress tells Bush to go fuck himself.......yay!

ou812

http://www.ksbitv.com/home/2435686.html

UAE Firm To Transfer Port Operations To U.S.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A United Arab Emirates-owned company has agreed to turn over all of its operations at U.S. ports to an American "entity," Sen. John Warner said Thursday.

Reading a statement from DP World on the Senate floor, Warner, a Virginia Republican, said the reason is "to preserve" the strong relationship between the UAE and United States.

The announcement comes after congressional leaders reportedly told President Bush that the deal for DP World to assume some operations at six U.S. ports appeared dead on Capitol Hill.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee, delivered the news to Bush during a meeting Thursday at the White House, two Republican sources said.

The leaders told the president they would pass measures to block the deal by veto-proof majorities, sources told CNN. Bush had threatened to veto any legislation that stopped the deal.

The UAE firm DP World's purchase of P&O, the British company that manages cargo and passenger terminals at ports on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, has stirred up intense opposition in Washington.

House Republicans are openly defying the president, apparently to prevent Democrats from outflanking them on national security and outsourcing issues as elections approach.

The issue marks an unusual rift between Bush and House Republicans, who say they have received overwhelmingly negative comments from constituents.

On Wednesday, the House Appropriations Committee essentially blocked the deal by voting 62-2 to insert an amendment into a $68 billion emergency supplemental funding bill for military actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The bill also includes about $19 billion in disaster assistance for the Gulf Coast for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

The measure could come before the full House next week when it is expected to pass by a similar large margin. The committee's approval was bipartisan, with Reps. Jim Moran, D-Virginia, and Jim Kolbe, R-Arizona, casting the only votes against it.

Rep. Jerry Lewis, R-California, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, worked with other GOP leaders to amend the spending bill.

Tensions between Bush, whose approval rating is near an all-time low, and Congress have been growing for some time, and the president's vow to veto the legislation angered many of his congressional allies.

"In politics ... sometimes the passions and the emotions can overwhelm any factual discussion," said John King, CNN's chief national correspondent.

i dont see the problem. theyre not gona spend 20billion dollars to obtain rights to shipping so they can destroy the US....fanatcisim is one thing..but materialism and greed reign supreme

exactly, who would drop all that money to lose it all... i mean theyre wealthy but not stupid.

in all seriousness i dont think they ever posed a threat... i believe there was some secret deals going on in the background but i dont believe that there was or will be a threat from them owning the ports...

Are you kidding me?? We are dealing with a very patient people. Something might not happen in 6 months but what about 2 or 3 years from now?? It would be a lot easier to turn someone who is arab than non arab. Anything that goes on in ports is always a inside job.

this is all about $$ dont let any1 tell u diff. those senators r tryin to pork barrel the shit out of this deal and are pissed cause they didnt get a cut like scum bag bush

I agree with you on that.. But i thought bush's whole reelection campaign against Kerry was he was weak on terror.. If we elected Kerry he would do something like i dont know sell our ports to arabs.. can u imagine the backlash that would of happened.. Its all BS i'm glad the deal fell through and people are finally seeing that bush has no idea what he is doing and its all catching up with him...

We elected him now we have to deal with it;

i agree that he is an idiot..but nothing he does surprises me...i dont think i could take Kerry in office....he accepted $ from anyone and everyone...i was soooooooooooooo fucking Happy when he lost

How quickly everyone forgets about President Elect Al Gore.

I think he would have done a much better job than Kerry or Bush. It's a shame that our voting system is so corrupt.