Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Businesses to shut down on day of planned national boycott

funketeer

Sooo...is anyone going to skip work on Monday??? Is this a good way to protest??? Hmmm...I don't know about all this shit, feeling kinda weird about all the bullshit that the latin community is going through these days...just the other day, I believe it was wednesday of last week, a raid of the INS stormed through the streets and businesses of south florida picking up a couple of hundreds of immigrants that failed to produce proper working permits...of course, they were looking for latins...I seriously doubt they went on the kitchens of the sushi bars or to the french and italian restaurants, which obviously are filled with illegal workers...with the only difference that their names are Pietro and Pierre and not Pedro...capice?

again, the US is a country and it has its laws which all should obey, that is not the question...tomorrow, May 1st...if indeed all latinos boycott their workplace and businesses, it will be a good way to measure how important our participation in the economy of this country is...I hold my feelings and my opinions on this subject because there is no such thing as a safe state of freedom of speech anymore...sure, express yourself so we know who you are...la, la, la...crazy times we're living, of separatism, racism and hatred...muy bonito, muy bonito.

check this article:

PHOENIX – As immigrants across the country prepare to show the nation what a day without them would be like, businesses run by or catering to the Hispanic community are preparing for a day without profits.

Businesses from taxi companies to grocery stores say they're closing their doors on Monday.

Many of their employees will be joining demonstrators, who are scheduled to rally in various cities across the nation Monday. In Arizona, demonstrations are planned at four locations in Phoenix, at Armory Park in Tucson and in downtown Yuma. Some supporters simply plan to stay home and refrain from purchasing consumer products.

“A Day Without an Immigrant” is planned as a national shopping and work boycott designed to demonstrate how vital immigrants are to the American economy.

Taxi Mayas, one of several Phoenix-area taxi companies serving mainly Latinos, will close at midnight Monday and will not open until 4 a.m. Tuesday.

“We have to close,” said supervisor Patricia Jimenez in Spanish. “The majority of our workers are Hispanic, so if we stay open, who would work?”

Jimenez said the boycott is an important issue and that she supports her fellow Latinos, but said Taxi Mayas is going to lose money while it's closed.

R-Ranch Market Inc., an Irwindale, Calif., company, will close its 14 locations in Southern California Monday, said Art Rodriguez, one of the firm's four executive directors.

“This is a pretty ambitious effort, and it would be a shame to not support the employees involved in this,” Rodriguez said. “We decided to close as a gesture of respect, as a gesture of support. We hope our employees express themselves Monday and get back to work on Tuesday.”

The company estimates it will lose out on $200,000 in business on Monday, but Rodriguez said they're not worried about the loss.

“On Saturday and Sunday and Tuesday and Wednesday, people are going to make sure they buy those products they would have bought Monday,” he said. “This is significant and this is important to a lot of people. Work is important, too, but OK, let's take that one day and put it in the history books as a peaceful expression.”

Immigrant rights activists say the work stoppage, as well as a boycott of consumer products, will effectively catch the attention of the nation, already a captive audience in the wake of recent demonstrations calling for immigration reform.

“If we wanted to create a bigger impact than we did on April 10, it will be the empty parking lots in Wal-Mart and all the businesses dependent on our economy,” said Elias Bermudez, a talk show host for a Phoenix Spanish-language radio station and president of activist group Inmigrantes Sin Fronteras, or Immigrants Without Borders.

“The lack of our participation in the economic system is our greatest demonstration,” he said.

source

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

makes absolutely no sense. the issue has never been immigration....the subject is ILLEGAL immigration. how do you measure the illegal immigrants impact on the economy?...ill bet your ass they are going to work today.

you are feeling wierd how the latin community is being treated?..why?...because the u.s is looking to enforce the law?.

im feeling wierd on how americans are being treated lately :worry:

makes absolutely no sense. the issue has never been immigration....the subject is ILLEGAL immigration. :

Exactly!!!! We can thank the media for this spin.

I myself know that this is a land of immigrants and we owe them a lot but it does not overpower the fact that this is also a land of laws. The question of the day should be, do illegal in the USA have the right to disrupt our economy and do they have the right to protest (concidering that they are here illegally).

I personally think they are going about this the wrong way. IMO this is going to backfire on them. Reports of the amount of illegals currently crossing our borders has risen ever since the rumor of amnesty was brought up. This is only going to bring about a more strict border.

Again, this is a Country of immagrants but it is also a Country of laws.

makes absolutely no sense. the issue has never been immigration....the subject is ILLEGAL immigration. how do you measure the illegal immigrants impact on the economy?...ill bet your ass they are going to work today.

you are feeling wierd how the latin community is being treated?..why?...because the u.s is looking to enforce the law?.

im feeling wierd on how americans are being treated lately :worry:

the U.S. is not a race...it's a country...latins are as american as you are, more americans I'd say...I don't know what your ethnic background is but I was born in Miami and an american citizen I am.

Latin immigrant are as american as italians, irish, british, germans or any immigrants in the color spectrum...this is merely a witch-hunt and like all social abuse will see its repercusion, I think

Sgt Fury, don't forget latins are your coworkers, your doctors, your friends...the percentage of latins living in the US is so big, you can't kick them out...that's that.

:)

Exactly!!!! We can thank the media for this spin.

I myself know that this is a land of immigrants and we owe them a lot but it does not overpower the fact that this is also a land of laws. The question of the day should be, do illegal in the USA have the right to disrupt our economy and do they have the right to protest (concidering that they are here illegally).

I personally think they are going about this the wrong way. IMO this is going to backfire on them. Reports of the amount of illegals currently crossing our borders has risen ever since the rumor of amnesty was brought up. This is only going to bring about a more strict border.

Again, this is a Country of immagrants but it is also a Country of laws.

the sad part of all of this is that it only divides and confronts people that live on the same country and should be working together...the situation only reflects the way the world is going about love, brotherhood and loyalty...I wanna see any of the beer-chuggin' trailer trashers trying to pick a tomato or an orange...who do you guys think is harvesting the country's land???

this is propaganda at its best...at the end, noone cares about anyone and that is the truth, time to do a much needed soul-searching...we have become hateful bastards and the media is feeding us with all that bullshit

...tomorrow, May 1st...if indeed all latinos boycott their workplace and businesses, it will be a good way to measure how important our participation in the economy of this country is...

Funk, they're probably targeting hispanics because they're the largest group. I mean it's typical of the U.S. governemnt to make vague generalizations. After 9/11, they weren't just going after Saudis because the majority of the terrorists were Saudis. They were going after Arabs and Arab-Americans.

Wouldn't it be funny if this whole boycott plan backfires and after a day, businesses end up running more efficiently without illegal immigrants?

Just a thought. :D

Funk, they're probably targeting hispanics because they're the largest group. I mean it's typical of the U.S. governemnt to make vague generalizations. After 9/11, they weren't just going after Saudis because the majority of the terrorists were Saudis. They were going after Arabs and Arab-Americans.

Wouldn't it be funny if this whole boycott plan backfires and after a day, businesses end up running more efficiently without illegal immigrants?

Just a thought. :D

The thing here is when people think "latin" they automatically relate the term to farm workers and they fail to realize latins are also doctors, teachers, lawyers, etc...I seriously doubt businesses will run better without latins

The main reason of this bullshit is racism...anyone that disagrees deserves to live in ignorance, that's all

ahhhh, and don't forget to tune into Fox to get your true news about the real world...sheep, bahhh...propagada-fed monkeys...shhh

Let’s cut the bullshit and call them what they really are “UNDOCUMENTED VOTERSâ€.

If this country is as bad as they claim, then they can always leave. Truth is, they flock to this country because of it’s greatness. If not, they wouldn’t be here in such numbers.

Another thing, this country is a country of immigrants….LEGAL IMMIGRANTS!

Illegal is illegal, is illegal…PERIOD!

Cubans fled communism seeking freedom. These Mexicans(and all other Central/South Americans) fled poverty seeking prosperity. There’s the big difference between the 2 groups and why they’ll never see eye to eye.

The opportunities the country provides did not happen by accident. Until these “illegal†immigrants and their supporters learn to appreciate the sacrifices made by this nation and begin respecting the rule of law, they will not gain the support of masses.

Any politician who panders to these “undocumented voters†and is successful in implementing law which excuses their illegal infiltration does so at his/her own peril! Wait until the “gringo†finally says “enough is enough†and you’ll see. Also, don’t forget the black American. They were just passed up by the latino’s as the largest minority. Do you think they’re in favor of losing that coveted entitlement status to latino’s? I don’t think so. We’re gonna see black/white American unite against this total lack of respect for the law of the land.

Quote from: Slammin' Shaun on April 30, 2006, 07:21:39 PM

You know, I think its funny how the Mexicans chose a communist holiday (Soviet Union's May Day) as the day to launch their boycott. It's almost fitting. If the illegals ever tried to organize a boycott like this back home, they'd be locked up in jail....no media to save the day, no Howard Dean or Ted Kennedy....

Quote from: Slammin' Shaun on April 30, 2006, 07:21:39 PM

You know, I think its funny how the Mexicans chose a communist holiday (Soviet Union's May Day) as the day to launch their boycott. It's almost fitting. If the illegals ever tried to organize a boycott like this back home, they'd be locked up in jail....no media to save the day, no Howard Dean or Ted Kennedy....

Not just mexicans Mr Smith, guatemalans, hondureans, nicaraguans...a bunch of latin brothers and sisters are going through hell right now for similar reasons your family came to this country at its time, freedom and opportunity...are you going to be all gringo about it now???

If you know your history then you will know where you're coming from...

casa_romeu_steak.jpg

funk- even though you are a pain in the ass, you seem like you have half a brain in your head. that's why I can't understand why you keep missing the point. this has been made to be a "latin" issue and it is not. a country has to be in control of its borders....and if you support that, you are a racist? if you don't condone illegal immigration, you're anti- latin? I am a complete product of immigration. My grandparents were born in italy, ireland and puerto rico. they came here and helped build this country. they came. worked, paid taxes, and social security. If anyone wants to come to america the LEGAL way, I completely support it- that is the spirit of this great country. this whole thing has been swerved into some sort of racist thing and it is not.

How much do we have to repeat and emphasize the fact that it has nothing to do with nationality and all to do with legal status.......

We all know that this Country is a country of immigrants….LEGAL IMMIGRANTS!

Again, illegal is illegal is illegal. PERIOD!

Let’s cut the bullshit and call them what they really are “UNDOCUMENTED VOTERS”.

If this country is as bad as they claim, then they can always leave. Truth is, they flock to this country because of it’s greatness. If not, they wouldn’t be here in such numbers.

Another thing, this country is a country of immigrants….LEGAL IMMIGRANTS!

Illegal is illegal, is illegal…PERIOD!

Cubans fled communism seeking freedom. These Mexicans(and all other Central/South Americans) fled poverty seeking prosperity. There’s the big difference between the 2 groups and why they’ll never see eye to eye.

The opportunities the country provides did not happen by accident. Until these “illegal” immigrants and their supporters learn to appreciate the sacrifices made by this nation and begin respecting the rule of law, they will not gain the support of masses.

Any politician who panders to these “undocumented voters” and is successful in implementing law which excuses their illegal infiltration does so at his/her own peril! Wait until the “gringo” finally says “enough is enough” and you’ll see. Also, don’t forget the black American. They were just passed up by the latino’s as the largest minority. Do you think they’re in favor of losing that coveted entitlement status to latino’s? I don’t think so. We’re gonna see black/white American unite against this total lack of respect for the law of the land.

Obby ... you just made it impossible to read and shut.

There are a few issues in which you are purposedly misleading.

First, these protests come NOT from illegal immigrants or undocumented voters ... it is the come together of latin american background AMERICANS. In support of other latin americans who are presently undocumented ... in response of the House's proposed law.

Secondly, to imply that May 1st is a Soviet Union holiday is just plain ignorance. In most countries worldwide- including Spain, May 1st is the The Day of Work ... what in the US is celebrated the 1st Monday of September. Why are they choosing May 1st and not Labour Day? Because the issue needs to be attended today, not in 4 months.

Third, there is no easy solution to this issue without closing the borders. That is the first step that ALL will agree. Afterwards, just play politics and find a compromise between opposing ends ... those who want to kick them out now and those who want amnesty. I don't stand in any of the extremes. But thousands, if not millions of AMERICANS, are demonstrating peacefully to defend their opinion and voice in a democracy.

Fourth ... after 14 years of the Free Trade agreement with Mexico, it is wrong to intentionally blind yourself and not realize that the main problem lays in the US subsidies to their agro ... which makes most farm workers in Mexico lose their jobs in their homeland, and decide to leave everything they are born to love to migrate to this country to do the same job they were doing at home. These are mostly uneducated people. Unheard in their country, unheard here. You better believe that this is a HUGE factor for their migration. Don't forget that Mexicans are among the most nationalistic citizens ... from wars to the monolitic political party that governed them for decades.

Fifth ... from Colombia to Haiti to Venezuela to Peru to Bolivia to Nicaragua to Guatemal to El Salvador ... there are thousands and thousands who also fled political persecution and radicalization in their homelands. And I won't get into the reasons nor the sources of this mayhem, as each case is unique in their own time and source. It ain't an exclusivity of the handful of communist countries.

There are many other factors to put into an equation. The hardships of most legal immigrants to this country are far more complex than taking a raft for 80 miles. Or to arrive with the "Mariel". And those millions who are now AMERICANS will have a say no matter what your political view is. That is a democracy.

Lastly, I object any kind of boycott. But support a democratic movement. And being this issue as delicate and complex as it is, it will need a compromised solution that fits the best interest of this nation. This will probably include controlling the borders, re-evaluating farm subsidies, and the process to assimilate the undocumented workers- if it gets that far.

At least, the conservative Catholic church in LA and Mexico has discouraged a boycott and encouraged a peaceful march ... we start to find common issues with the heart of the GOP. Even if minimal.

The Problem lies with the employers. They are the ones making the choice to hire these immigrants. It’s not like the immigrants are running around with guns telling employers to hire them or else. Corporate America is in it for PROFITS so they hire someone for $5.00 an hour to do the work of a trained pro. That gets paid $15-19 an hour.

FUCK CORPORATE AMERICA AND ITS CHEESE<>

Everyone knows what the problem is and everyone knows what the reasons are...but just like everything else that's wrong and wicked with the world today, we fall into the same abyss of bullshit and cynism that we later criticize...muy bonito, muy bonito