Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Did anyone see David Blaine?

I briefly saw him at Lincoln Center this weekend. I was shopping in area and noticed the crowd. Place was mobbed and line wasnt so bad. I found it creepy to see him in that "bubble" with a mask on. I think today is his last day, not sure.

Anyone else see him?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest onisakura

OH FUCK! I totally forgot about this!! Im gonna check his site to see if todays the last day or not....if it is i want to head over there after work to try to catch it.

Guest onisakura
I saw him when he did his stunt at Bryant Park a few years back..

Someone in my office said he does the stunt at 8pm or something. You down to watch it?

Someone in my office said he does the stunt at 8pm or something. You down to watch it?

Kinda hard for me to get in the city at that hour (especially that area). Keep in touch, but its probably like 90% a no go...

NEW YORK (AP) -- Take a deep breath. David Blaine's latest stunt is spending a week living in an 8-foot acrylic sphere filled with water.

The 33-year-old magician, shirtless and with an oxygen tube in his mouth, slid into his snow globe-like "human aquarium" Monday at Lincoln Center.

In a week, he will remove the device and attempt to hold his breath underwater longer than the record of 8 minutes, 58 seconds.

He also will try to escape from 150 pounds of chains and handcuffs during the breath-holding finale, which will air live in a two-hour ABC special, "David Blaine: Drowned Alive," on May 8 (8 p.m. EDT).

"As a kid, I always was obsessed with Houdini," Blaine explained Monday.

"I don't think about death, but I am prepared for it," he said, adding that his only fear is "the fear of the unknown."

Blaine said he started training in December, with some help from U.S. Navy SEALS. He lost 50 pounds so his body would require less oxygen.

The water in the sphere will be kept at a balanced temperature to help keep his core temperature near 98.6 degrees. His gear includes a diving helmet that allows two-way communication with his support team.

Blaine invites visitors to stop by and wave at him. The water should be nice and clear; he will be fed and, uh, relieve himself by tubes.

His previous feats of endurance include balancing on a small platform for 35 hours, being buried alive in a see-through coffin for a week and surviving inside a massive block of ice for 61 hours. In 2003, he fasted for 44 days in a suspended acrylic box over the Thames River in London.

Who gives a fuck about this guy? I wish he would just drown so we don't have to see any more of these stupid stunts.

Surprisingly, a lot of people do. Actually, I thought the same till I saw the crowd waiting to see him.

Guest onisakura
Who gives a fuck about this guy? I wish he would just drown so we don't have to see any more of these stupid stunts.

Um its called entertainment? Why do people care about golf? Why do people birdwatch? Why do you go to the movies? If you dont care, move along....whats the big fuckin deal?

I'm actually VERY entertained...It's MAGIC!

I know you aren't serious, but what I don't understand is that this guy's a "magician". What's so magical about being uderwater with an oxygen tank. Does that make all divers magicians?

Guest onisakura
I agree with you on this whole david blaine thing, but what I think people find entertaining is the fact that he is doing things that the regular everyday person cant or wont do.

And the amount of self control the guy has to be able to do these things.

I think you are taking the term "magician" too literal. Its more like he's taking these old ideas of magic and putting them in a modern perspective. The idea of a man surviving in a bubble of waterfor that length of time is so out there that of course its going to attract viewers. I mean who does that to themselves? I can't imagine how this is going to affect him phyisically knowing how much damage you can do to your body by just diving for too long. Imagine a week of being submerged. He's an oddity and america loves oddities. Ripley's believe it or not is a perfect example.

And the amount of self control the guy has to be able to do these things.

I think you are taking the term "magician" too literal. Its more like he's taking these old ideas of magic and putting them in a modern perspective. The idea of a man surviving in a bubble of waterfor that length of time is so out there that of course its going to attract viewers. I mean who does that to themselves? I can't imagine how this is going to affect him phyisically knowing how much damage you can do to your body by just diving for too long. Imagine a week of being submerged. He's an oddity and america loves oddities. Ripley's believe it or not is a perfect example.

Yeah, you're right... he's amazing. I mean, the self control it takes to do that, I just can't imagine sitting in the bath for a week?

If I don't come out of the bath for a week, will you come watch?