Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Danny Tenaglia is the greatest dj in the world, STEREO 6/22 montreal review

Will get back to this review a bit later but i want to say after being at STEREO for 13hrs on thurs. Danny Tenaglia played best set i have ever heard from any dj in my 10 1/2 yrs of goin out. That shit was just unreal, yes the soundsystem was as great as they say it was. Some say it isnt the same as when shorty was there but i cant comment on that.

And again the mark of a great dj to me is never playing the newest tracks for 6+hrs of one musical style. As ive always said "A GOOD DJ PLAYS THE NEWEST TRACKS, A GREAT DJ PLAYS 30+YRS WORTH OF DANCE MUSIC".

Danny went all over the place from House,tribal, old school dance classics, techo,deep house, tech house, personal edits, old school garage tracks, frank sinitra, the beatles, get what im saying. Anything you might have heard danny t play in nyc can not compare to what i experience musically at STEREO with his track selection. This was def truly a special night of music. And his set on thurs was the best set i have ever heard any dj play in my life. Also is now my most favorite night out of all time. Times like this i wish the set was recorded. Alot of nyc danny t fans were in the house and from san fran, boston, chi, finland, damn i wish i was still there.

probably blasphemy on the NY board, but Danny T was subpar in Los Angeles last month. He was doing a 10 hour set, and although I wasn't there for all 10 hrs, the 5 i did hear was really unimpressive. But LA isn't his scene so maybe he took a dive.

for whatever reason, DT plays differently when he is in diff locales.

I heard him in miami several times in 2000/01 & they were far & away the best sets Ive ever heard from him. he played, to simplify it, hard soulful house.

certain nights at vinyl [not really arc] had portions that resembled his miami masterpieces, but still he has never played, to my ears, at his miami level in nyc & ive heard him perhaps 200 times since 1995 or so.

and as great as DT still can be, the style of his sets in 2005-06 rarely resembles the deep hard soulful vocal house that was his sound around 2000.

so I still go almost everytime in nyc, but his nyc sound is very differnet from the masterpieces I heard in miami, january 2001 at space in particulat among the top 5 or 10 dj sets Ive heard since starting going out in late 1970s.

While i was out in miami, i probably heard him a few times and just didn't know it (just getting into this music, thanks to club space)...

In NY the one time I've seen him, he was great. I was expecting that in LA, and it just didn't materialize. There was no energy in his music, and it translated to the crowd, in fact I don't think I even went out onto the dance floor...not one memorable track. Which is odd, but sometimes DJ's are just off. I've seen it from the best of them, van dyk, tiesto, van burren, oaky, sander k, digger, and sasha have all been below average on at least one night that I've seen them.

for whatever reason, DT plays differently when he is in diff locales.

Been my experience as well, best DT sets I've heard were in Montreal and London. Nothing in the 100+ times I've seen Danny in NYC even comes close except maybe the Be Yourself 4 year anniversary and his 2004 set at Cielo. His 2003 marathon Montreal set was the best night I've ever had out.

Don't think it's just DT though, e.g., Morillo is the same. He plays differently overseas (much better imo).

I always wondered why he does next to nothing when it comes to producing? I would like to hear more from him in the way of remixing.

He did loads of remixing earlier in his career. He seems to be focusing more on DJ'ing now. He does tons of personal edits of tracks for his live sets, but they'll almost certainly never be released.

I think he is ok...definitely no junior vasquez but has his good nites. I always wondered why he does next to nothing when it comes to producing? I would like to hear more from him in the way of remixing.

Yea, Im sure Junior still has the nursing home pumping with dirty nasty house beats. :rolleyes:

Yea, Im sure Junior still has the nursing home pumping with dirty nasty house beats. :rolleyes:

the best junior set I heard in 2006, bassline opening night , was TWICE as good as any nyc DT I head since march 2005.

in fact juniors 2006 house is so much better tahn DT's 2005-06 techno, junior is clearly the better dj in the last 12-18 months, imo

i really do not want to go back to the old & tired "DT vs JR" war.

however, i heard both of them in the past week so i feel i should add my commens.

jr's track selection @bassline was cool, some classic tracks (DJ Pierre etc...), some new stuff (AME "rej", "bodyshaker"). but her mixing was atroce and killed the flow of the night IMHO.

DT @ Stereo: unbelievable night/day, top notch mixing, creative edits, acapellas, i would kill my mother (j/k) to ID some of the tracks he played.

i will give another try to Jr @Spirit monday pride morning.

i really do not want to go back to the old & tired "DT vs JR" war.

however, i heard both of them in the past week so i feel i should add my commens.

jr's track selection @bassline was cool, some classic tracks (DJ Pierre etc...), some new stuff (AME "rej", "bodyshaker"). but her mixing was atroce and killed the flow of the night IMHO.

DT @ Stereo: unbelievable night/day, top notch mixing, creative edits, acapellas, i would kill my mother (j/k) to ID some of the tracks he played.

i will give another try to Jr @Spirit monday pride morning.

junior bassline #1 was brill. ****1/2 of 5 stars

i was also at #2 like you & it was a dud. **1/2 of 5 stars

DT has not been himself in nyc since march 2005 when his crobar birthday was brill ****1/2 +

hopefully DT will remeber his soulful vocal house roots & play some for nyc.

junior never deserted his house vocal roots & that's why he's usually better than dt in nyc in 2006- NOT every time, but usually.

glad you went to montreal- I only hear dt in nyc, where he used to live....