Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Should the Yankees fire Joe Torre?

I think if they don't make the playoffs this year he should get the boot. Since 2000 the Yankees have come up short from winning the WS with a bunch of underachieving, high priced players. Not to mention in that time span blowing a 3-0 lead to their rivals the Boston Red Sox.

Especially now after Lou Pinella had his little chat with A-Rod which seems to have lit a fire up his ass seems as though it's only a matter of time till he finally gets his shot to manage them.

feel free to throw out all of the 11 consecutive division titles and 26 WS championships at me but i'm sure you yankee fans know where I am coming from. And no I do not expect them to win the WS every year but you have to admit that these last 6 years have been a huge disappointment

I think if they don't make the playoffs this year he should get the boot. Since 2000 the Yankees have come up short from winning the WS with a bunch of underachieving, high priced players. Not to mention in that time span blowing a 3-0 lead to their rivals the Boston Red Sox.

Especially now after Lou Pinella had his little chat with A-Rod which seems to have lit a fire up his ass seems as though it's only a matter of time till he finally gets his shot to manage them.

feel free to throw out all of the 11 consecutive division titles and 26 WS championships at me but i'm sure you yankee fans know where I am coming from. And no I do not expect them to win the WS every year but you have to admit that these last 6 years have been a huge disappointment

if anything they should fire brian cashman not joe torre.....if the yanks do not go deep into the playoffs this year i have a feelin torre will retire anyway.

if they completely tank the second half of the season and miss the playoffs by a large margin yeh i could see George make a move and get Sweet lou back in the fold.

remember last year , the yanks were left for dead and they came back on Boston and took the division. so dont count them out ....ever

and yeah Joe gets a built in pass based on the success he has had

and also the fact that he loses 60 home runs and 240+ RBI for the whole season when his corner outfielders go down

if they completely tank the second half of the season and miss the playoffs by a large margin yeh i could see George make a move and get Sweet lou back in the fold.

remember last year , the yanks were left for dead and they came back on Boston and took the division. so dont count them out ....ever

and yeah Joe gets a built in pass based on the success he has had

and also the fact that he loses 60 home runs and 240+ RBI for the whole season when his corner outfielders go down

all good things come to an end.. you cannot deny that they are on the downward slope.

if they tank during the second half, they need to focus on youth and rebuilding next year.. i dont think they will be able to squeeze out any more championships

all good things come to an end.. you cannot deny that they are on the downward slope.

if they tank during the second half, they need to focus on youth and rebuilding next year.. i dont think they will be able to squeeze out any more championships

yes i can deny there only 4 FRIKKIN games out and withstood a 16 game winning streak by the sox

they will make a move for someone and a healthy Dotel will only strengtehn the pen

and as contracts expire SHeff, RJ ,bernie,moose they will shed older players and sign some younger stars

and for alll the talk of a barren and pathetic farm system the yanks had

where did Cano, melky ,philips ,Wang come from

outside of giambi /posada who are 35 the rest of the core guys are very early 30's and in their prime

nobody is counting out the yankees this year...it's more of a "what if" scenerio

and i keep hearing about a healthy Dotel as the yankees savior...i could be wrong but didn't he just have another set back and the guy is coming off Tommy John surgery so there is no guarantee he will be lights out.

don't think Geogie will be too happy if he sees the Red Sox finally win the division with the Yankees looking in on the playoffs with no wild card and their crosstown rivals the Mets sailing in to the playoffs with the best record in the NL....won't be pretty :shake:

nobody is counting out the yankees this year...it's more of a "what if" scenerio

and i keep hearing about a healthy Dotel as the yankees savior...i could be wrong but didn't he just have another set back and the guy is coming off Tommy John surgery so there is no guarantee he will be lights out.

no doubt but he will eat up some innings as they keep burning out Procter etc. and i dont feel confident in sending out the likes of TJ beam

dotel has a proven track record and were not asking hin to pitch 200 innings

we shall see and hope he is healthy

A lot of their current predicament stems from the riff between the NY office and the Tampa office. They have players on their roster that are there simply because George wanted to have them at any cost. You can't blame Torre for that. As much as I hate to admit it, I just think they are too flawed to be serious contenders for a title in the short run. That being said, now that Cashman has complete control over the personell, I'd like to see what he can do in the next few years. You can see his fingerprints on this roster already by getting productive players from a supposedly depleted farm system. (Cano, Wang, Cabrera, etc) I just hope they can revamp the pitching and defense before guys like Jeter, A-Rod, Matsui, Damon, etc get too old to contribute...

PS: The only wat Torre quits is if they win a WS. The only way he gets fired is if the players quit on him....

i call it winning their division every yr

glad to see that after winning all those WS between 96-00 that you have lowered your expectations and are happy with only making the playoffs now even with a $200mm roster...hmmmm, maybe that's what is wrong with the yankees. they are too content with just making the playoffs. you might be on to something here bxbomb

No, Torre should not be fired. The Yankees faltering this year is not his fault. Anyway kfitz pretty much summed up what I was going to say.

They only thing to add is that the Yankees farm system is not depleted. They are very strong at A and AA. They just dont have many players at the top that are MLB ready i.e Eric Duncan just got sent back down to AA. They've gotten very lucky with Wang, Cano and Cabrera as these guys were not even considered top prospects.

Anyway, you cannot fire your manager when half of your roster has spent time on the DL. Especially when guys like Sheff and Matsui having been out so long. And let's not forget Pavano who hasnt pitched in a over a year. Pathetic.

I don't like this team right now. They need a 4 and a 5 starter and are also going to need a corner OF'r as well as bullpen help. That's alot of holes to fill. Were going to need Cash to pull off a trade similar to the one he made last year for Chacon. And if he can pull off a trade for a big bat that would obviously be good. Although I don't know how he would do that without trading Philip Hughes. Which would be disastrous because everyone is saying how this guy rates to be at LEAST a 2 and possibly a 1 starter in the majors.

Yankees need to stand pat on their coaching and go out and get some help.

btw, nobody is counting on Dotel to a savior but rather a huge boost to a fucking shitty bullpen.

How many other MLB teams hsven't won a title in 5 years??

Hint: One of them resides in Queens

What's 5+15=?

Answer: Number of years the filthy Mets haven't won a title.

I don't understand how Mets fans can constantly throw this "5 years" in our face when it has been 4 times as long since you last won a WS.

gg logic

glad to see that after winning all those WS between 96-00 that you have lowered your expectations and are happy with only making the playoffs now even with a $200mm roster...hmmmm, maybe that's what is wrong with the yankees. they are too content with just making the playoffs. you might be on to something here bxbomb
the pointgot milk was trying to make to me is that their on a downward slope

so NMN a downward slope= not winning the world sereies every yr?

the MEts and there paltry payroll only gets them LAST PLACe last yr and no playoffs for several yrs