Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can someone explain the diff. btwn OLD VEGAS and NEW VEGAS?

whitehype

One of my older friends was telling me how old vegas was a lot better than how vegas is now.

He basically said old vegas was better b/c:

less strict (could get away with a lot more)

less expensive

but the main difference was: the people. He says a lot of people now a days go there b/c the concept of "vegas" has gotten so popular. A place to really let it all out and be wild... which is attracting people who don't have the guts to live out crazy adventures in whatever town their from so they come to vegas in hopes of changing that but all they do is contribute to the high prices, take up space, crowd out the fun in attempts to live out their totally overblown fantasies of "vegas."

Thoughts on this?

I've been there twice since March and I'm only 22... and while I did see a lot of people like this, i still had a great time b/c I am not one of those people who just likes to sit on the sidelines. I'd rather go try something and fail than to wonder "what if." The 2nd trip I did notice those kinds of people a lot more but it didn't really bother me.

Thoughts?

Experiences?

Just bored

Less expensive, yes. Less strict, of course.

Yeah, I noticed that a lot of the people that visit Vegas and act "girls gone wild" do so becuase they can't and don't act that way at home.

This is a vacation to most people and they paid a lot of money for a room. And they think that is pass to get wild N crazy!

:getdown:

Question: what time period is your buddy referring to when he says "old Vegas?" I mean, are we talking 10-15 years ago or longer? "Elvis Vegas" or "Rat Pack Vegas?"

I started throwing it down in Vegas in 1990 and while I think it's improved each and every year since, the bottom line is that it's always been as good as you're willing to make it.

While marketing campaigns may promote the party atmosphere, it can't manufacture it. People go apeshit in Vegas not because business promote such behavior -- but because everyone applauds it.

As for people acting like that in vegas because they're "unwilling" to do that at home, that may count for some. But the truth is that Vegas offers options that simply aren't available "at home" for most visitors.

For that matter, you won't find Rehab anyplace else on the planet.

For me, the difference between 1990 Vegas and 2006 Vegas is that nowadays the town simply offers many more options for the types of entertainment I love the most: nightclubs and food. 10 years ago meant going to the same spots every trip, often multiple times on the same trip. Today, I can take a trip every 6 weeks or so and not only hit up places only once... but leave wanting more, not having gone to many equally desirable spots.