Clubplanet Nightlife Community

holy shit dc . . .

eggmok

I don't see what's wrong with DC. The clubs aren't really pulling in the names that they once did but these things tend to happen.

Unfortunately I've gotten to see the rise & fall of several "scenes." It's kind of eerie to see it happen repeatedly, over & over in each one. People don't learn from the mistakes of others.

DC *HAS SHIT GOING ON* and there's tons of clubs that are packing up on a weekly basis. DC *HAS* venues that are bookings lots and lots of EDM. It's just not on the scale that it was a year or two ago.

The bottom line is that there's people out there that are trying. Myself being one of them. Unfortunately for the DC rave culture, not many people outside the tight-knit groups of friends are willing to try anything out that isn't Buzzlife.

Buzz has been huge and with Nation closing I've been impacted severly but the truth is that life goes on. There's tons of parties that are busting their asses and their wallets to make it happen.

Ugh... anyway, I realize that I probably contradicted myself but my main point is that there's clubs that are doing great and without internationally known expensive as shit dj's. Then there are the clubs that are pouring out money on dj's and not getting the attedance they should. And THEN there's the clubs who just book no-name locals and do equally as shitty.

There IS a scene. There IS dance music. It just so happens that it's all fucked up.

And THEN there's the clubs who just book no-name locals and do equally as shitty.

There IS a scene. There IS dance music. It just so happens that it's all fucked up.

Maybe you shouldnt do X before posting on this board. In every papagraph you contradicted yourself in the next paragraph. This board has been around over 10 years and your just now joining? Yes, you have seen all the clubs come and go.

Sorry, cheech. I've spent the last few years on other messageboards. For clarity sake cuz I'll admit it did come off as contradiction in each paragraph.

- DC has a dance music scene that is thriving

- it's not "underground rave stylee" but more focused on locals with huge draw & big email lists

- no one is booking people like DJ Dan or Sasha except for FUR and their crowd is so mixed that it keeps tons of people away

- there's about 10 weekly & monthly events that book midlining dj's. these events are hit or miss

- there's another 5 or 6 that cater to all local "underground" dj's that get a max of 40 people if they are lucky

Hope this makes more sense. Sorry for the last retarded post. My mind was definitely a little loopy. More from working my ass off as opposed to the X. :)

Also for clarity sake... I never said I've seen all the clubs come & go. I grew up in Pittsburgh when it was rave central and then all of a sudden it turned into a city of too many weeklies with locals that drew no one. Then State College which picked up a lot of the stragglers from Pgh's scene cuz they were booking headliners. Then all of a sudden some chick dies from overheating and all the companies quit.

I was mostly saying that for as many different areas in the nation that have gone from thriving in an underground non-dresscode sort of way to zip, zilch, and nada... it'd be nice to see that some of the party promoters would learn that the lack of creativity only feeds the lack of interest in the parties. For example...whatever happened to light shows?? I will give exceptions in DC to Club Five because they've got a nice setup there...

Thanks for chiming in Ed. I can't take the whole "zomg the scene is dying" shit. There's plenty of stuff... it just takes people getting off their asses OR reading the flyers that are in their face to realize there's stuff all over the joint to choose from. Some parties are flops, some are bumpin. Some are just simply "ok." Either way I can't say that anything isn't worth trying out at least once.

Thanks for chiming in Ed. I can't take the whole "zomg the scene is dying" shit. There's plenty of stuff... it just takes people getting off their asses OR reading the flyers that are in their face to realize there's stuff all over the joint to choose from. Some parties are flops, some are bumpin. Some are just simply "ok." Either way I can't say that anything isn't worth trying out at least once.

People have been saying the "scene" is dying or is dead since I started DJ'ing about 12 years ago...

Chris Cox made an interesting comment on the concept of the "dying scene" at an event I attended a few years ago, and I think he hit things spot on. To paraphrase: Dance music "scenes," like all living things, is constantly evolving. There's old elements no longer present, new elements that were never there. A lot of people look at a specific point of their time clubbing/dj'ing/whatever as being a time they really identify with for certain reasons. As the "scene" evolves, the elements those people identified with have changed into something else, so they equate that to the "scene dying."

(mind you, when I say "dance music scenes" I don't include the "goth scene" in that, as they prefer their stagnation and lack of evolution shown by the same shit being played now as there was being played 6 years ago) ;p

Nation's gone. (Hell, SE nightlife is almost entirely erased altogether) Pulse @ Andalu is gone. Red is gone. Fur is an arrogantly-run dump. DC is OVER.

:nopity:

I've been working in this scene for over 10 years and going out for almost 12. thing shave come and gone... low periods and high periods. remeber in 1997-1998(mid) when there was a party slup for about 4-6 months... When parties like Pollon, Deep, Urban Space, Cloud Watch and some tracks events were slow, fizzled out or only started doing special events.... there wasn't parties at the edge every weekend...

I remember going to buzz and their being as many people there as on a "regular" night at Cubik.

it's like a recession. the reason things are slow... is because of all of us. Because you think it's slow and doen't go out the people that do go out see less people and won't go out the next time. Buzz was the glue that held DC together. i've heard from many people that, " buzz is gone... i'm taking a break for a bit..." And now because of that it looks dead... the "dead scene" was in 2002 or 2003... OMG Sat edge parties with like 300 there? WTF Black Majik 3 only had like i wana say 800(estimated) paying people that year which day and night compared to the thousands of patrons in the 2 previous years.

If you want this scene to pick back up... Introduce young people to it... educate them about it... the 21 and under crowd are "Anti-Drug" Kids, so the "R" word is a no no. It's Breaks, House, Drum & Bass, Garage.. whatever... music. Without refilling the ranks we have slipped into another slight slump.

Chads right. the people have been saying that sine the early 90's, because it's true. the REAL RAVE(Orbit, Catostrophic, Storm Raves, Modern Music Parties.. ect.) scene died in 92-93 when the cops were cracking down on them big time. There were Raves after this but this started the big migration to clubs.

just my .02

The scene is what you make of it... Tansit Last wed. Had such a RAVE Vibe to me. Everyone one was so free spirited and happy, enjoying the music. it was a great night! that's what it's bout.

Current events in DC/Balto (off the top of my head)

WED::

- FIVE SPOT @ Club FIVE ( Breaks, House, Electro, Progressive) - 1 to 2 Wednesdays a month

- UPFront Ind. D&B Sessions @ Club FIVE (D&B, House Breaks) - 1 to 2 Wednesdays a month

- TRANSIT @ Bridges - (Breaks, house, trance, Progressive, D&B, Electro) - FREE Every Wed.

THURS::

ALIAS @ NV Nightclub - (D&B, Breaks) - Free Every Week

FRI:: (weekly events)

- PEARL @ FIVE (Breaks, house, trance, Progressive, D&B, Electro)

- PRE-FIX @ Ocean Drive ( Breaks, house, trance, Progressive, D&B, Electro )

- Mosaic - Baltimore ( House )

- Duke City events - adams morgan

SAT:: (weekly events)

- M3 Saturdays @ Club FIVE (house)

- GLOW @ FUR (trance, progressive, hip-hop)

- Gallery Nightclub (house)

- RUSH @ 1722 (Breaks, house, trance, Progressive, D&B, Electro)

SUN::

- Tsunami Tsundays @ Japone (Breaks, house, trance, Progressive, D&B, Electro)

- Skylounge - ( Breaks, house)

damn... that was a lot to type!

Werd up Randy. I actually get wore out from attending (or trying to attend) all the parties there are now.

Just so happens that Buzz was kind of a central place for everyone. Now they have all scattered to different venues. Most of which are definitely packin the house.

Please elaborate

10/6 :: PARANOID JACK @ PREFIX

10/7 :: VA FIELD PARTY

10/13 :: JOSH WINK @ FIVE

10/14 :: GABRIEL & DRIESDEN @ GLOW

10/20 :: BRYAN COX @ PREFIX

10/20 :: TOM STEPHAN AKA SUPERCHUMBO @ FIVE

10/27 :: HYBRID @ WOOLEY MAMMOTH

10/27 :: KING BRITT @ FIVE

10/28 :: DB @ WOOLEY MAMMOTH

That's just a glimpse... there's a shitload more and each of these events listed pull a crowd.

yeh what he said... dc is weird... dont tell anyone on the nyc board but i happen to reside here and i think it is just a very different vibe that i dont mesh well with - no offense....

its not just the music either .... people are different everywhere i guess

Please elaborate

there's been plenty of elaboration already... but I'll say this... clubplanet is kind of a bunk forum in DC... so few people post on it, that those of us who promote and add things to it... well... I'm not really sure how much help it is... there are other DC oriented forums that are much higher trafficed and where you read a lot more about the parties, whether they're all-local parties... or parties with great headliners...

are there acts who haven't been to DC who would be great to see here? hell yes, but a lot of promoters are working on getting more variety to DC...

Fuck, last week there was a surprise DJ set w/ Fanciulli here on a wednesday that was packed... I know of two other names that are INCREDIBLY hot right now who are currently being ironed out for dates in November and December...

I guess the real question is... what's your basis for saying there's nothing happening here? is it talent? people? sure, there's no real "mega-club" bringing in talent outside of Fur right now... but is the mega-club really the heart of things? I'd argue not...

10/6 :: PARANOID JACK @ PREFIX

10/7 :: VA FIELD PARTY

10/13 :: JOSH WINK @ FIVE

10/14 :: GABRIEL & DRIESDEN @ GLOW

10/20 :: BRYAN COX @ PREFIX

10/20 :: TOM STEPHAN AKA SUPERCHUMBO @ FIVE

10/27 :: HYBRID @ WOOLEY MAMMOTH

10/27 :: KING BRITT @ FIVE

10/28 :: DB @ WOOLEY MAMMOTH

That's just a glimpse... there's a shitload more and each of these events listed pull a crowd.

what and where is "wooley mamoth"?

• 1 month later...