Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ultra Review

tayama9

GREAT WEATHER AND SOUND, IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THIS YEAR. GOOD CROWD.

1. david waxman, great opening set. i forget how good he can be when hes not in crobar.

2. junkie xl, good tunes and so into it as always.

3. benny b, great disco funk, solid set.

4. soul, intersesting and fun. great bass player and drummer.

5. moby, 5 stars, felt like it was 1995 again. guy needs to play out more.

6. diggers, to dark for my taste. also moby should have closed. not a set to close with. great skills though. like him circa 2000.

7. boris, ??????????, just dont get it.

Yeah, me either. His music is monotonous and has no funk or soul. Sounds like you're hearing the same track for hours. I believe that a good deal of his success is due to the fact that Crobar does a good job promoting his parties. I don't think he'd last a minute on the international scene.

But that's just my opinion. He draws big crowds in NYC, so I'll give credit where it's due.

Yeah, me either. His music is monotonous and has no funk or soul. Sounds like you're hearing the same track for hours. I believe that a good deal of his success is due to the fact that Crobar does a good job promoting his parties. I don't think he'd last a minute on the international scene.

But that's just my opinion. He draws big crowds in NYC, so I'll give credit where it's due.

lucky13 crobar hmmm lol... they dont do a good job in promoting for boris, people just go because its more of a state of trance but tribal style, it's allot more for house people that love to dance, maybe thats how i feel about it, oh well..

glow

i went. i have a feeling there won't be an ultra ny 3.

it sucked. the crowd turnout was really thin. ending at 10pm is a joke.

junkie xl was jumping around on stage. i like djs that get into the music (i.e. carl cox), but it's not like junkie's a metal rocker w/ a guitar in hand. moby was pretty good - his mixing was horrible (trainwrecks after trainwrecks) but the track selection was pretty good and had the crowd going and ready for the headliner, digweed. it's ironic how in all the ads, the headliner looked as if it was moby but in the event it was digweed. i guess going for that moby name recognition eh?

john digweed is my fav dj. but on this night, i think someone forgot to tell him that we're at an outdoor festival where he only has 1 hour 15 min. sure, it was flawless mixing and a great gradual buildup but it really seemed like he was spinning the opener to a 6 hour set. i kept looking at my watch and making a motion to my friend that he needed to pick things up! with 40 min left, it still was slow. there were occasional buildups and such but we weren't in the core yet. with 30 min left, still no bang. with 15 min left, i just gave up. we were never gonna get even remotely close to peak time. i kept thinking, you know, if you only have an hour and change, don't you want to get into your set and go full throttle from the get go, especially at an outdoor event like ultra? moby had the place rockin more than digweed. he had the right idea.

there were lots of effects and buildups that well... built up the mood... (felt like i was at a james lavelle show... ugh). but it just seems a few years ago that digweed would just play one incredible track after another and not have to go into all these slow buildup sequences... the tracks in themselves were enough... coupled with his mixing mastery.

too bad diggers didn't have an afterparty. then at least my night would've been salvaged.

• 2 months later...
GREAT WEATHER AND SOUND, IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THIS YEAR. GOOD CROWD.

1. david waxman, great opening set. i forget how good he can be when hes not in crobar.

2. junkie xl, good tunes and so into it as always.

3. benny b, great disco funk, solid set.

4. soul, intersesting and fun. great bass player and drummer.

5. moby, 5 stars, felt like it was 1995 again. guy needs to play out more.

6. diggers, to dark for my taste. also moby should have closed. not a set to close with. great skills though. like him circa 2000.

You wouldn't know if there's a set from Moby I could hear from that event?

Boris.....yea im with you on that.