Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Porterhouse Miami - Thursday, March 22, 2007

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a review From Porterhouse @ State - WMC...

In the endless barrage of parties that is Winter Music Conference, there are always a few that will inevitably stand out for one reason or another. With all of the hype and hubbub that literally envelops Miami for this week in March, it can be a pain to actually find a party that for one, lives up to the artwork on the flyer, and for two, is actually worthwhile to attend, for the amount of money you spend to get in there. This year, Embrace Productions and FDS Recordings made it easy; they threw a free party at one of the most accessible clubs in South Beach, hosted by one of the most talented DJ's on this side of the earth accompanied by some of the funkiest up-and-coming talent that I've ever seen. I'm not sure what it was, but for some odd reason, I had a really, really good feeling about attending this event.

As I was greeted by the (extremely polite) door-staff at State, trying to get an idea of what was behind the glazed glass doors in front of me, I could sense the excitement in the air. It was 1 AM by the time I made it to State, and the club was absolutely rocking. Walking past those glazed doors of mystery, darkness immediately surrounded me, leaving me only with butterflies in my stomach and the sound of what can only be described as "Cadillac house" filling my ears.

When I arrived into the main room, which was completely packed, I recognized that it was Bon Johnson causing all of this musical madness, an act comprised of the duo Matt Johnson and Andrew Bousquet (who is a recording partner of Steve Porter's... under the "Bons" moniker) from Boston. Now, I had never heard these guys before but let me tell you, these guys were unbelievable. Keeping it bouncy and driving, laced with electro-stabs and eerie vocals, they had an extremely fluid Live PA set, and with every passing second the electricity I felt outside was growing. The standout track from their set was "Slumber Party Massacre" - the funkiness of this track cannot be overstated; this act is one to look out for in the future.

It was 2:30 (or so). The suspense was unbearable. Steve Porter made his way to the decks and people were freaking out; I'm not sure if they knew it then, but they were in for a non-stop driving house assault that would last over two and a half hours. From beginning to end, the entire room was mesmerized, dancing like at the will and command of the man like Steve Porter; there was no time for anything else, except perhaps a quick trip to the bar to grab a drink.

Punctuated by thick basslines, synth and sample stabs, and dubby vocal excerpts that would alone send chills up and down your spine, Steve Porter showed me and everyone else in the club how he's made it this far in this small amount of time. This guy, ladies and gentlemen, is a legend in the making. Accompanied by the all-but astounding visuals provided by VJ Morpheus, the new-years-esque décor brought to us by RKM, and the vibe provided by the people there to simply dance, Steve Porter made this event - which was free, mind you - one to remember.

With command of the dance floor only seen in the likes of Sasha himself, it's hard for me to sit here and even attempt to critique any aspect of Steve Porter's set. Perfect mixing; full of his own re-edits, remixes, and self-productions; and even an encore track (if half of the audience and I had it our way, he would have just kept on playing right on through the morning). This set was everything you'd expect from a superstar DJ, and the night was everything you'd expect (and more) from an expensive night out on South Beach in one of the finest clubs around. Except it was free.

DSC04081.jpg

• 2 weeks later...