Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Clinton launches 2008 White House bid

danielia

Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton embarked on a widely anticipated campaign for the White House on Saturday, a former first lady intent on becoming the first female president. "I'm in and I'm in to win," she said on her Web site.

Clinton's announcement, days after Sen. Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record) shook up the contest race with his bid to become the first black president, establishes the most diverse political field ever.

Clinton is considered the front-runner, with Obama and 2004 vice presidential nominee John Edwards top contenders. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who would be the first Hispanic president, intends to announce his plans on Sunday.

"You know after six years of George Bush, it is time to renew the promise of America," Clinton says in a videotaped message in which she invites voters to begin a dialogue with her on the major issues -- health care, Social Security and Medicare, and the war in Iraq.

"I'm not just starting a campaign, though, I'm beginning a conversation with you, with America," she said. "Let's talk. Let's chat. The conversation in Washington has been just a little one-sided lately, don't you think?"

Clinton, who was re-elected to a second term last November, said she will spend the next two years "doing everything in my power to limit the damage George W. Bush can do. But only a new president will be able to undo Bush's mistakes and restore our hope and optimism."

In a defiant statement -- and a nod to questions about her electability -- Clinton said: "I have never been afraid to stand up for what I believe in or to face down the Republican machine. After nearly $70 million spent against my campaigns in New York and two landslide wins, I can say I know how Washington Republicans think, how they operate, and how to beat them."

With millions in the bank, a vast network of supporters and top status in nearly every poll of Democratic contenders, Clinton is undertaking the most viable effort by a female candidate to capture the White House.

She is the first presidential spouse to pursue the office; her husband, Bill, served two terms in the White House from 1993-2001.

The announcement was the latest step in a remarkable political and personal journey for the 59-year-old Clinton -- from Arkansas lawyer to first lady to New York senator to front-runner for the Democratic nomination.

A polarizing figure since she burst onto the national scene during her husband's first presidential campaign, Clinton engenders strong opinions among voters, who either revere or revile her but rarely are ambivalent.

She often is compared to her husband and found lacking in his natural charisma. Others have criticized her for being overly cautious and calculating when so many voters say they crave authenticity.

Many Democrats, eager to reclaim the White House after eight years of President Bush, fret that she carries too much baggage from her husband's scandal-plagued presidency to win a general election. Among many voters, she is best known for her disastrous attempt in 1993 to overhaul the nation's health care system and for standing by her husband after his marital infidelity.

Clinton's allies counter by citing her strengths -- intelligence, depth of experience, work ethic and immense command of policy detail. Advisers argue those skills, plus her popularity among women and younger voters, position her strongly as both a primary and general election candidate.

In her first run for the Senate from New York in 2000 -- a state where she had never lived and where she was branded a carpetbagger by many -- Clinton won a landslide victory. Through dogged campaigning -- including a "listening tour" of the state's 62 counties -- Clinton was able to convince voters even in the conservative upstate region that she would represent them effectively in Washington.

Clinton's 2002 vote authorizing military force in Iraq has become a significant political challenge. It angered activists who want her to repudiate her vote and aggressively seek to block Bush's proposed troop increase.

She has toughened her criticism of the conduct of the war and Bush's handling of the conflict, and she recently called for capping troop levels in Iraq at around 140,000. She has rejected calls from liberal groups and Edwards to cut off funds for Bush's planned increase in U.S. troops.

Anyone plan on voting for her?

never said a black man shouldn't...just said he wont win this time

and women in my opinion are beneith men when it comes to things like being a president. it is a man's job

:laugh:

I'm not even gonna go there on how ignorant that comment was but to each their own.

looks like the dems are just gonna give the white house to the rep again...clinton and obama are a joke...

That depends on how the war goes, if it gets worse republicans have no chance to get into office..

Who's good McCain- ? Guilaini? brownback?

I would vote for mcCain but he has been courting the christian conservatives a bit too much.. Guliani has done nothing except run NYC no experience at ferdeal levels.. Brownback is ultra conservative from Kansas.. they are grasping at straws also.. Plus we do have over 2 years until the election.. Lets focus on Iraq and worry about this shit in 07

That depends on how the war goes, if it gets worse republicans have no chance to get into office..

I would vote for mcCain but he has been courting the christian conservatives a bit too much.. Guliani has done nothing except run NYC no experience at ferdeal levels.. Brownback is ultra conservative from Kansas.. they are grasping at straws also.. Plus we do have over 2 years until the election.. Lets focus on Iraq and worry about this shit in 07

regardless of the war...and take away your feelings about the situation...do you honestly think the middle of this country will vote for either a black man/woman or a white woman to run this country??? other than NJ, NY, and Cal i doubt the majority would vote for a non-white male pres...racism will prevail when it comes to the presidency (sorry to say)...

regardless of the war...and take away your feelings about the situation...do you honestly think the middle of this country will vote for either a black man/woman or a white woman to run this country??? other than NJ, NY, and Cal i doubt the majority would vote for a non-white male pres...racism will prevail when it comes to the presidency (sorry to say)...

The same can be said about the GOP's boy wonder guliani and mccain.. guliani is pro gay rights, gun laws, anti abortion. not exactly kosher with the middle of this country...

Plus you can't say regardless of the war;that is a major issue for 08 depending on how it is going.. If its status quo as now forget any republican getting in

may not be kosher but i guarantee you they will deal with that over a woman or black man as pres...

the war is a major issue...i agree with you...but unless the blatant racism of most of this county goes away you wont see a change in the white house...

may not be kosher but i guarantee you they will deal with that over a woman or black man as pres...

the war is a major issue...i agree with you...but unless the blatant racism of most of this county goes away you wont see a change in the white house...

u might be surprised.. it just depends on the GOP's candidate.. remember dole?

I agree with the racism, but i hope we are a better country than that.. I do believe we will have a black man as pres b4 a woman.. There are plenty of blacks in the midwest.. lol..

We are also getting all rev'd up for 2 people 2 years out of the gate, remember dean???

It all depends on how the country is doing in 08.. The economy is strong now, what the first 2 years will bring with this new congress and senate.. Which could also make it a no contest for the GOP.. Either way it should be a fun ride.. Thanks for the open debate without name calling... a rare thing on this board these days

...i think the dems will win the election in '08...i will prob vote for obama...considering the turn-out and results from last year's elections, i do not think it a far stretch to believe change is in the wind...hopefully everyone will believe and vote rather than cop out...

i hear what your saying...and i agree fully...i too hope that this country will someday look past skin color and it wont be an issue...but when i see on the news as some southern states still fly the confederate flag and even tho its ruining the town/city they refuse to take it down...things like this keep people with the memory of how things were and we stay in the past...but hopefully one day it will change...

lol...i wouldnt bash or name call you...your not like the other closed minded people who think they know everything...we never had any probs between us...

...i think the dems will win the election in '08...i will prob vote for obama...considering the turn-out and results from last year's elections, i do not think it a far stretch to believe change is in the wind...hopefully everyone will believe and vote rather than cop out...

i think when the projected early polls come out and the old thinking americans and their old views see a non-white winning they will pour out of their trailer homes and make their way to the voting booths...the 08 election is going to be the start of a new way of thinking in american politics...your gonna see record numbers of people turing out for this election...

fuck that carpetbagger Hillary , bitch shouldnt have run for Senate again knowing full well she would spend every waking moment on getting the dem nomination instead of protecting NY intrests in Washington

shes a dyke whore with thick cankles

of course mccain has been courting the christian conservatives. he's gotta win the republican nomination before thinking about who he is running against for the presidency.

bill richardson, gov. of new mexico has also declared himself for the dem. primary. then again he's a beaner, so i guess between a black man, a woman, and a beaner, john edwards has all but won the nomination as the token white guy.