Clubplanet Nightlife Community

HOW DOES A DJ DO IT?

Ok..this is a question i have. How does a Dj go from playin a 7 hour set one night, take the concord transatlantic and then play another 5 hour set the next night and do this for like years..and on top of it all..play amazing and creative sets.

Well I have two theories. One: they are on something. not necesarily E, but maybe aderol, ridyln, caffene,something, but i feel a lot of them are on old fashion speed.

But then I posed a second theory. Well in the game of super DJ's, there are like 10-15 dj;s that have the crazy schedules. Now, being that there are like 6 billion people int he world, and there are only around 15 dj's that can do this,,well maybe they are truly gifted and can just rise to the occasion. Now, to me, this sound physically impossible.

So in conclusion,,I believe these motherfuckers are jacked on a lot of shit.

------------------

DANCE LIKE THERE'S NO ONE WATCHING

WHy would the djs be doing speed when all they do is drink in the booth? Wouldn't that kinda kill the buzz?

Anyhow, the enrgry from the floor is enough to keep a dj going. I think any entertainer can attest to this.

Same set, 2 nights in a row? I doubt it. Differetn time slots, different openers. Pus, remembering everything you did for 5 hours has got to be tricky. Defintely nowhere near the canned 1 hour raver set, puke. Props to multicity marathoners.

As for weekly residencies, yeah thats gotta be rough. However, when I read reviews of those nights they are often the same as the week before. If the crowd keeps coming back, I guess you or the promoters are doing something in the right direction.

not to argue, but for the sake of discussion...

I don't mean duplicate sets. I'm talking about having several standard mixes. If I know songs xy&z go well together, and I know song jk&l have a humping rythym, with a a couple songs to bridge, there's 8 songs with very little work. I've done it, and it not only does it take some pressure off, but it ensure some floor energy with a mix that you know is sweet. There are deejays that are known for always playing certain songs together, and I don't short them for it.

------------------

keep it cutlary

www.spoonyd.iwarp.com

I spin a 6 hour set every friday night ...

No speed,C or any kind of upper ...

I'll smoke a lil something before i go on and usally have a couple gin&tonics or cran&vods through out the night ... And I'm fine ...

check out this mix:

you'll need realplayer to listen to mix

http://members.xoom.com/newsense2k/pep.rm

it was recorded live @ this party i did (4-20-00) its only an hour or so, but let me know if your feeling it or not ... some of you might have already heard it before ...

i'll be posting more mixes ... i'll try to get a new one up every week

pEp

------------------

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs"

old rockers say "its better to burn out than to fade away," but djs who party too hard will burn out and *then* fade away. straight edge guys like mobey will make creative music 4ever.

btw, i don't mean u frankie. i dj too and your formula is about like mine.

[This message has been edited by sirdante (edited 08-10-2000).]

personally i never used drugs while djing although i do know many dj's who do..to me i think it would ruin my mood and mess up my whole set espec if i got bad shit or just a bad head....ive read in an interview w/ dt that he tried E a few times while djing so who knows maybe some dj's do use drugs...o and lets not forget jr. vasquez..how many drugs is he on when he dj's?? God only only knows....soo i guess its a toss up some probably do and some not.....

Originally posted by spoonyd:

I would like to add another facet.

If a deejay is playing two nights in a row a continent apart, I think the requirment for continually creating new original and creative sets is diminished. No one is going to know if it's the same set you played the night before! Once you establish a few songs that go well together, if you have enough small mixes that you like, you only need to worry about bridging your mixes, which should be easy for an experienced deejay. Hopefully, by the time a months has passed and you're back at that same club, your set will have evolved enough with new some new tracks that it will seem fresh.

I'll admit this does not lessen how physically gruelling it must be.

My heart really goes out to the club deejays who have to play to the same crowd every week for a whole night. These are the guys who are really challenged to keep it fresh.

i agree to a certain degree with you that they will play a lot of the same music, prolly not the whole entire set, unless your name is oakenfold, but i can't see djs not droppin a lot of the same stuff the next nite especially on a 3+ hr set. it would be emotionally exhausting to create a whole new 6 hr set 12 hrs after you just got done with one.

------------------

deez nuts

personally I have dj'd for 4 or 5 hours, then had a 6 hour break and played for another 4 hours, with a 4 hour break and then played for another 4 without the aid of anything other than meals, sleep and a few xenadrine (maybe more than a few!). Personally in my downtime I will party with the best of them, but in the booth I like to keep it all business. Most DJs feed off the crowd, once in a while I'll have a drink or two but I like to keep a clear head in the booth, afterwards is another story.

Most dee jays I know (at least 30) only have a couple of drinks when they play......it's like their job, do you take drugs to get through your work day? A typical DJ may play 3 to 5 sets a week, and has the rest of the week to try out new records and see what works together, with the knowldge that they already have from dee jaying for 5 years and if they are creative and thoughtful it isn;t hard to play a different set every week! biggrin.gif

------------------

..................coming soon to a dancefloor near you------------------> boa_boy@yahoo.com