Clubplanet Nightlife Community

whats up everyone?

jbpa

whats up all? Hows everyone doin? im new to the site, i found it while poppin some research on club promotion stuff. anyway if any promoters or club owners read this plz PM me, i gots a question i need help with, nothing scene wise like opening a new club or buying promoters, just a generalized question about the industry. other than that, im free for any chat or parties in the tri state area, MD or VA. also, ill be moving to orlando in like 3 months, so any heads from down there have party spots let me know, ill be moving to winter park.

actually, ill just ask aloud what i want to know. Ive been in the club scene for quite a few years now, from rave to rock. im a biomed engineer now, and fucking hate it. i want to make a career somewhere in the nightlife, and eventually open my own club. my question is.. ive been looking at full sail school for their music business and entertainment business courses. all of my credits xfer from my prior degree and i was wondering if its worthwhile? i have a lot of connections currently, and plan on building more, but is going to school for the business aspects worthwhile? i would eventually love to land promoter/manager something in that area, until i can open my own club. i know how they run quitewell, jsut dont understand a lot of the math and business aspects, contract negotiations etc. is full sail worthwhile?

actually, ill just ask aloud what i want to know. Ive been in the club scene for quite a few years now, from rave to rock. im a biomed engineer now, and fucking hate it. i want to make a career somewhere in the nightlife, and eventually open my own club. my question is.. ive been looking at full sail school for their music business and entertainment business courses. all of my credits xfer from my prior degree and i was wondering if its worthwhile? i have a lot of connections currently, and plan on building more, but is going to school for the business aspects worthwhile? i would eventually love to land promoter/manager something in that area, until i can open my own club. i know how they run quitewell, jsut dont understand a lot of the math and business aspects, contract negotiations etc. is full sail worthwhile?

DO NOT BAIL OUT on your engineering career to go into nightlife!!! If you want to do it on the side, that's fine. You are currently paid for what you know and how well you apply it. In the nightlife industry, you'll be getting paid to kiss people's asses while greasing their palms. You'll face legal battles everyday (I don't know if it's easier to deal with corrupt cops, corrupt politicians or corrupt lawyers but you can be assured that the lawyers on your side will be making more than you). Not worth it, in my opinion.

There is nothing better than experiencing the nightlife (even making some scratch moonlighting as a promoter) while collecting a guarranteed steady salary! Nightlife is a sleazy business. Everyone in nightlife seems to think they'll never fall until that one day when they're sitting on the sidewalk scratching their heads because they can't afford to give the bums outside their barricaded club any change!

So here's my advice: move wherever you want and "mingle" in the scene. Experience will teach you more of that sleazy business than any business course. That said, having studied engineering, the business courses you're talking about will be a breeze. Not only that, but any money you spend educating yourself is a wise investment (anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is just illiterate and incompetent and is just wasting space on an already overpopulated planet). If you are interested in business, take more general business courses (International Finance, Corporate Accounting*, ForEx Investment, Financial Analysis/Reporting, Ops Management, etc) which can be applied universally. The MBA and BS/BEng combination is a very powerful asset in today's competitive global environment.

*To run a club, the only accounting you need to know is how to cook the books.

:D