Clubplanet Nightlife Community

All Star Rosters chosen

Barry Bonds is going to be the oldest starter in history

Also, notice Brian Roberts made the all star team? I guess when we were debating who was a better AL second baseman, Cano or Roberts, and just about everyone and their mother jumped down my throat for saying Roberts, that it wasn't envisioned that Cano would be batting in the mid 200's with an on base percentage worse then a minor league utility guy

Funny how Brian Fuentes made the team......dude just lost his role as closer on his own team

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Barry Bonds is going to be the oldest starter in history

Also, notice Brian Roberts made the all star team? I guess when we were debating who was a better AL second baseman, Cano or Roberts, and just about everyone and their mother jumped down my throat for saying Roberts, that it wasn't envisioned that Cano would be batting in the mid 200's with an on base percentage worse then a minor league utility guy

Funny how Brian Fuentes made the team......dude just lost his role as closer on his own team

Roberts had a great first half but the arguement was which guy would you rather have a 29 year old hitting .317 9 hr's 40 rbis or a 24 year old hitting .302 with 10 homeruns and 58 rbis?

I bet cano finishes with better numbers.

Roberts had a great first half but the arguement was which guy would you rather have a 29 year old hitting .317 9 hr's 40 rbis or a 24 year old hitting .302 with 10 homeruns and 58 rbis?

:funny:

I was thinking about this thread... I was waiting till the end of the season to bump it... Judging by the last few years, it seems like Roberts is more of a first half guy while Cano gets stronger as the season goes on...

looks like im gonna fall short on my stolen base prediction of 10 for Cano

WTF that chucklehead is fast i know hes not the sharpest tool in the shed and sometimes looks lazy , but c'mon Joe let em run

looks like there is some gaudy #s from alot of 2nd basemen around the league

no that wasnt the arguement. the debate was over who was the best second baseman in the american league....of which it is clearly roberts all around. and the debate involved more then three stats such as runs scored, stolen bases, fielding and range. not over who was younger

go back to espn.com and check out those stats if you care to stick to your point and watch a few sox games and actually watch the two of them play and tell me you stick with cano as the better 2Ber

stop twisting things around to cover yourself

looks like im gonna fall short on my stolen base prediction of 10 for Cano

WTF that chucklehead is fast i know hes not the sharpest tool in the shed and sometimes looks lazy , but c'mon Joe let em run

looks like there is some gaudy #s from alot of 2nd basemen around the league

he's been caught more times then he's swiped the bag....could have something to do with it

no that wasnt the arguement. the debate was over who was the best second baseman in the american league....of which it is clearly roberts all around. and the debate involved more then three stats such as runs scored, stolen bases, fielding and range. not over who was younger

go back to espn.com and check out those stats if you care to stick to your point and watch a few sox games and actually watch the two of them play and tell me you stick with cano as the better 2Ber

NO IT IS NOT CLEARLY ROBERTS

THE DEFENSIVE #s were the same

NO IT IS NOT CLEARLY ROBERTS

THE DEFENSIVE #s were the same

who has more range?

and who has more stolen bases? who's 32 for 38 stealing bases and who's 2 for 6? who's scored hella more runs?

oh, but you got me with picking out who got almost as few errors

again, watch a game or two involving brian roberts and/or cano subjectively before you comment again

who has more range?

and who has more stolen bases? who's 32 for 38 stealing bases and who's 2 for 6? who's scored hella more runs?

again, watch a game or two involving brian roberts and/or cano subjectively before you comment again

One is a leadoff hitter and one is a number 9 hitter. That might explain the disparity in runs. Aside from the SB's the differences are negligible. Roberts is as good as he's ever gonna get. Cano projects to a future batting champion with around 20-25 hr's a year. What he's doing now is just the tip of the iceberg...

who has more range?

your clearly talking to the wrong person ,Mr sandiego i think i have caught a few more yankee or oriole games over the past 2 yrs than you have

picking out few errors ??? what are you talking bout

One is a leadoff hitter and one is a number 9 hitter. That might explain the disparity in runs. Aside from the SB's the differences are negligible. Roberts is as good as he's ever gonna get. Cano projects to a future batting champion with around 20-25 hr's a year. What he's doing now is just the tip of the iceberg...

exxactly

and the point of the argument originally JOn was who is the best 2nd baseman based on last yrs season, utley was in the nl and robbie was in the al

your clearly talking to the wrong person ,Mr sandiego i think i have caught a few more yankee or oriole games over the past 2 yrs than you have

picking out few errors ??? what are you talking bout

mlb package from time warner....i try to catch as many sox games as possible

and the question wasnt who was the best second baseman based on last year's numbers, it was who was the best second baseman in the american league. i think everyone knows utley is the best second baseman all around

and the question wasnt who was the best second baseman based on last year's numbers, it was who was the best second baseman in the american league. i think everyone knows utley is the best second baseman all around

Ask any GM in the game who they would rather have and they will tell you Cano. Roberts is a much better base stealer, while Cano is a much better rbi man. Beyond that, the differences are very minor. So any instance where Roberts might have a negligible advantage gets far outweighed by Cano's age, salary, and the numbers he should be putting up 5 years from now...

Ask any GM in the game who they would rather have and they will tell you Cano. Roberts is a much better base stealer, while Cano is a much better rbi man. Beyond that, the differences are very minor. So any instance where Roberts might have a negligible advantage gets far outweighed by Cano's age, salary, and the numbers he should be putting up 5 years from now...

cano is only a better RBI man because he bats in a much more potent lineup and roberts is a leadoff hitter. look at the power numbers and they are identical (slugging, ops, extra base hits)

and if you were building for the future i agree picking up a player five years younger and making $400K a year would be the move but if you were building a team to win NOW, any GM would take Roberts

i'm debating who is the best second baseman in the american league. that means who the best is now....not the near future

i'm debating who is the best second baseman in the american league. that means who the best is now....not the near future

Aside from the rbi / sb advantages they're practically equal. As I said before even if Roberts is slightly better now (which I don't think he is), the difference is so minute that picking one over the other isn't gonna win or lose you any more games. Since it's pretty much a dead heat, the next thing gm's would look at is age/potential/salary and that breaks the tie... We don't live in a vacuum. Whenever you consider these "who is better" arguments, any advantage a player has in age/potential/salary makes them "better" even if it can't be reflected on a stat sheet. If Cano was a .270 hitter with 20 less rbi's I would agree with you. However, most of the numbers are very close and with the Yankees scrambling to make a playoff push and the O's headed south I expect Cano's numbers to be better over the next two months.

It's like comparing Pujols with A-Rod. They both put up ridiculous numbers, but part of the equation is that Pujols is 4 years younger so you have to take him over A-Rod no matter what numbers A-Rod ends up with, even in a sort of "down" year for Pujols...

cano is only a better RBI man because he bats in a much more potent lineup and roberts is a leadoff hitter. look at the power numbers and they are identical (slugging, ops, extra base hits)

and if you were building for the future i agree picking up a player five years younger and making $400K a year would be the move but if you were building a team to win NOW, any GM would take Roberts

so far this yr power #s and OPs are equal they werent last yr ...which is what the argument was based on

mlb package from time warner....i try to catch as many sox games as possible

right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the best 2nd baseman in the al last yr was CANO

Cover myself? lol Stolen Bases might be the most over rated stat ever. You can take the leader in SB's I will take the RBI's, or home runs, or doubles, or triples. If you want to take out the RBI's because roberts leads off and cano hits lower in the order fine, but you can not count runs scored then. I will also take the guy who is not an automatic out against lefties. .250 vs. .319.

Like I said I bet cano has better numbers by the end of the year. He is hitting .440 for the past month.

watch a few sox games and actually watch the two of them play and tell me you stick with cano as the better 2Ber

what the fuck does this mean?

The power numbers are indentical right now but cano started off slow and roberts started out hot, right NOW cano is out hitting roberts and he will out hit him for the rest of the year. We will just ahve to wait until the end of the year for us to say who had the better year.

watch a few sox games and actually watch the two of them play and tell me you stick with cano as the better 2Ber

what the fuck does this mean?

when you watch sox games (that is of course if you find time), watch cano play when the sox are playing the yankees and watch roberts play when the sox are playing the orioles. when you finish watching them play, then make your decision on who is the better second baseman

still confused? i can break it down even more if requested