Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DAFT PUNK in the house (Brooklyn)

So I'm not really a Daft Punk disciple but do they always wear those helmets? Given that up in that techno-tastic pyramid you couldn't really see what they were doing, it occurs to me that they could just get some roadies to dress like Darth Vader and pretend to fiddle some knobs once in a while, stay home and count their money.

Also doesn't anyone dance anymore? Escpecially to what is ostensibly dance music at a DJ event where it's two guys in a booth... sitting down for all I know. Just head bobbing and hand waving!

On the plus side:

Good crowd... friendly!

1jr891mp6800to5.th.jpg

... Hey, it's Samir Naga... Naga... Naga... Na'gonna work here anymore

1jr891m15800wz7.th.jpg

And not a bad light show

Here's there take on why they do it:

"The playing with masks is just to make it funnier. Pictures can be boring."

DO YOU THINK YOU CAN HIDE FROM STARDOM?

In a word, yes. Because we are Daft Punk and we don't need to show our faces to get on a magazine cover or sell shitloads of records. Because we're young. Because we're sexy. Because we remember Juan Atkins and Frankie Knuckles and all the greats who went before us and didn't get the respect, the money or the magazine covers. Because, like them, we're ordinary boys who happen to make thrilling tunes; characters thrown up by a culture where it's the track's impact on the dancefloor that counts, not the artist's image. Can we hide from stardom? We already have.

They are not sold on their personalities; they don't need to be outrageous or eccentric or perpetuate the mythic rock n' roll glamour of the daredevil hero who lives on the edge and walks on the wild side... They are just ordinary folk who happen to make thrilling tunes; characters thrown up by a culture where it's the track's impact on the dancefloor that counts, not the artist's image. Products of an egalitarian window of opportunity. Daft Punk see themselves like this, as artist-engineers rather than celebrities. They never let much slip about their everyday lives. "We're trying to separate the private side and the public side," Thomas insists.

Thomas: "It's just that we're a little bit embarrassed by the whole thing. We don't want to play this star system thing, we don't want to get recognised in the streets." Hence the masks.

Thomas: "Yes. Everyone has accepted us using masks in photos so far, which makes us happy. Maybe sometimes people are a little bit disappointed but that's the only way we want to do it. We think the music is the most personal thing we can give. The rest is just about people taking themselves seriously, which is all very boring sometimes."

People understand that you don't need to be on the covers of magazines with your face to make good music. Painters or other artists, you don't know them but you know what they are doing." Thomas: "We are very happy that the concept in itself is becoming famous.

In France, you speak of Daft Punk and I'm sure millions of people have heard it, but less than a few thousand people know our face - which is the thing we're into. We control it, but it's not us physically, our persons. We don't want to run into people who are the same age as us, shaking our hand and saying, 'Can I have your autograph?' because we think we're exactly like them. Even girls, they can fall in love with your music, but not with you. You don't always have to compromise yourself to be successful."

So I'm not really a Daft Punk disciple but do they always wear those helmets? Given that up in that techno-tastic pyramid you couldn't really see what they were doing, it occurs to me that they could just get some roadies to dress like Darth Vader and pretend to fiddle some knobs once in a while, stay home and count their money.

Also doesn't anyone dance anymore? Escpecially to what is ostensibly dance music at a DJ event where it's two guys in a booth... sitting down for all I know. Just head bobbing and hand waving!

On the plus side:

Good crowd... friendly!

1jr891mp6800to5.th.jpg

... Hey, it's Samir Naga... Naga... Naga... Na'gonna work here anymore

1jr891m15800wz7.th.jpg

And not a bad light show