Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Oakey in South Hampton 8/19/00.

Tavern was bangin Saturday night. We showed at about 11:45am and waited in line for about 1 minute. They appeared to be id'ing pretty hard. Nevertheless the crowd was pretty much mid-twenties on up. 3 bars made gettin drinks easy. The outside deck was the perfect escape. The ladies were lookin unbelievable with the backless style all over the place. The bathroom line was tough (girls and guys) but it made striking up a convo with that nugget across the way that much easier. The sound system was mediocre.

Oaks was the best I have heard all year. I have seen him 4 times since March. He played mostly new stuff. He seemed to be having a kick ass time along with the crowd.

All in all one felt as if in a Big Apple club (no NYPD or big club sound) out in the Hampton's. Not bad for the folks at Tavern!

I was there and he was FUCKIN sick. My boy actually met him up in Boston friday night at the Avalon. He said Avalon is trying to get a club in New York and wanna get him there as the resident since he hates the U.K. Either way.........he ripped it up and he knew exactly when to throw the beats. Funny cuz, my boy also said he closed Avalon friday night with get this...ZOMBIE NATION!

He must of been fuckin with those MASSHOLES!

~R~

I was at Oakie at Avalon on Fri & it was f****n ridiculous. Total mob scene, pretty much no vibe, and yes, he closed with Zombie. The reason?? Well probably because more than half the crowd that was there were people who frequent a certain club on Sat where songs like "Ecstasy" are still on the weekly playlist & "I Never Knew" is..umm..new. (Pathetic, huh??) Romeo- I know you know what club I'm referring to... Anyway, these people were chanting the Zombie song throughout the night- maybe he thought thats what the crowd wanted to hear. I mean, he walked around the club & barely anyone reconized him...it was so diheartening....

Kara

------------------

"Close your eyes & dance like no one is watching"

Alright... Here's my view of the night. We got there around 11pm to kind of chill out and down a few drinks. Some female dj was on at the time, I didn't get her name though. There were some minor technical difficulties but she didn't sound bad at all.

By 1230, the place was rammed. The ladies were indeed beautiful and wearing hardly anything. I have to say, good looking crowd.

Oakie jumped on at exactly 1 am. For the first hour, he played some fairly new tracks. 2 of them were from Jan Johnston and they went down well. He surprised me bigtime when he dropped X-press 2 'AC/DC' that's one of my fav at the moment. Lookout for X-press2-Muzik which is just totally off the hook!

One thing I noticed was that the records kept skipping from the crowd jumping so hard. The place was a effin ZOO!!!

Anyways, at around 3 am, they threw around 500 glowsticks into the crowd at once. Talk about energy. The crowd was on fire!! Then it all went downhill for me... Just me though. Everyone else was still having the best time. He played CHEEEZ WHIZZ the rest of his set. 'Bullet in the gun' and that wack track 'zombie nation' that the whole place was singing along.

At that point, there was no sense in me sticking around the dancefloor. So I went outside to get some fresh air.

Oakie gigs will always be rammed and always blow people away. He's a business man. A damn good one too.

I highly suggest if you want to get someone thats not into the scene to start. Take them to an Oakie gig. Sasha & Diggers in my opinion would be too deep and they will get bored pretty fast. That's how it happened for me. I disliked trance very much until I started buying those Cream cds 5 years ago and when I heard Oakie for the first time in '97, I was indeed HOOKED!

For my musical enjoyment, I'll stick to the new pioneers of underground such as Lee Burridge, Craig Richards, Steve Lawler, Danny Howells, and the messiah, Danny Tenaglia; but he's not a new pioneer.

We left the Tavern shortly after Oakie's set because the dj that was closing was playing crap!

gotta run

easy!