Clubplanet Nightlife Community

saleens review of morillo

Guest Eddy Guerra

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bcnjunkie

A review should be a recapitulation of the night not a direct bash of Miami, Europe or the crowd !, His review shows Saleen's ignorance.  Everytime I hear Morillo, he has more european influence, but since the guido knows jack, he wouldn't know how to recognize it. plus I've heard Morillo at his best (Crobar 2 years ago, he put on a top knotch show),  this time, he wasn't bad but he wasn't at his best.  Once again, NO CREDIBILITY

Guest web_norah

yeah straight forward, perhaps, but reviewing wise i give it a D+.....it should read WHY MIAMI SUCKS REVIEW not EM Review...EM's sound is so influenced by whats played in Europe, UK and Spain for sure.....but just because he threw a couple of *classics* that doesnt make him more special and a purely NJ-NY sound....ever hear DT, Derrick Carter or DJ Vibe? they do classics as well....and the latter arent from NY-NJ ...

i thought Morillo was average that night...the patio set in particular, was choppy....i didnt find the programming all that wonderful....

... everyone loved it yet i didnt feel EM was focused part of the time and quite frankly i wasnt impressed with the patio sound he created....his party at Crobar 2 yrs ago was the best i have seen so far, back in the day when he released Sub Sessions 3...EM is still a great dj ....but last time at Space was average...

and the whole classics thing, i bet you a million bucks, you get David Morales or even Tony Humphries here for a night of classics and noone will show up......

Guest zero

yea the article was a bash on miami and yes morillo does interact with the crowd but if ayone ever seen donald glaude live .. he's the man better than morillo in my eyes. Wow the enthusiasm and the passion he shows what he's playing is amazing... I would definatly love to see him at space or a club down here.

Now with all of this bashing on Saleen from CP to here, do u think hes gonna have a break down and come to a event and mow all of us down with a automatic rifle, acquiring minds wanna know!!!

Damon 2.0

Guest web_norah
Now with all of this bashing on Saleen from CP to here, do u think hes gonna have a break down and come to a event and mow all of us down with a automatic rifle, acquiring minds wanna know!!!

Damon 2.0

honestly, i could care less....

I responded to his article with this as well in the WMC forum...

saleen,

Well I read your piece as well....I think you are definitely outspoken, but you've got some decent points there....but so much of what you say is overshadowed by your subjective, supercilious, arrogant approach to dance music and what types of EDM is palatable to every individual...

I love your whole classics approach...it is great!  But you make much of you good points moot when you say that only the 27-30 year olds can enjoy it...that's not true...

Your grammar is really bad in the beginning but gets progressively better as one move's through the piece.  You begin many of your sentences with conjunctions, sentence fragments litter about,  you bounce from past to present tenses, and you have street slang and guidopretentious remarks.  All of the aforementioned things coupled with your "shout outs" for complimentary admission and the "pretty ladies" further decredits you as a writer and makes you look like the guys we see on MTV "im a clubber."  Are you partying in Miami Beach or the Jersey shore, son?  

I know you probably dont care whether or not what you wrote is journalistically sound....but I am kind of suprised that the big junkies published this...It is excellent in some parts and a complete disgrace in others...and with CJ up for a dance music award for best dance music website i cannot imagine a judge reading this piece and praising it.  If I were an editor, which I actually spend a lot of time doing, I would have sat down with you and seriosuly edited it, because it is so well done yet so poorly done at the same time...

At one point, you refer to yourself as being from "the tri-state area..." and then go on to say this:  "Of course I'm fucking biased about a DJ from my home state."  Granted Morillo grew up for part of his adolescent life in New Jersey, however he was born in New York and mainly raised in Columbia.  It seems to me that you beat around the bush that you are from New Jersey, and often try to act like you are New York City boy....or are at least ambiguous about the subject by sayinig tri-state area.  Lots of bridge and tunnel people do this, but if you do, dont be shy about the garbage state, come right out and say it!     just kidding...kind of  

But seriously, I also see so much potential in some of the things you say...for example about the horn...so true!  The horn is a scapegoat for not being able to bridge, just like the sirens we hear in clubs...etc etc.  A really talented DJ wont use it...Cheeze comes flying out all over it, (someday the cheese will plug up damons wistle) but that doesnt mean that people cant enjoy it.  I for one, love the horn, and it gets me amped, but i still recognize it's true colors...

I definitely admire your craving and vocal atitude about having a classics night...man I really think that you belong in NYC!  They are big here, I read about them all the time in Time Out....so many of your favs are here....Plus the subliminal parties are here too...

I love how you noted Morillo slowing it down in his sets on occassion, get a drink , mingle , then he picks it back up....I really notice that during his sets, and I at first didnt like it....it was inconsistent but then i realized the inconsistency was what kept things fresh and I learned to appreciate the down time to, like you said, "groove" and chill for a bit....then he rocks out after 5 -- absolutely.  

"Woven into the fabric of our culture are classic themes for everything we see."  One of the most poignant staments you made.....music, fashion, everything....excellent point.

I guess where Im goin with this is that I think you are obviously a seasoned clubber and know your music, and I think you have a lot of valuable things to say and offer to a dance music community like cooljunkie----but your aggressive nature, some of your language, and close-mindedness just closes any possiblity of enlightenment (other than for yourself) from your preachings....In order to be a true "Chairman of the Board" you have to at least listen and appreciate the "gustos" of your constituents...rather than that, you have a dictatorial manner about that just looks gross....and your mind isnt gross, I can see that from your writing---so can you maybe try to stop putting up the facade and just be real with people...you can be cool and considerate at intelligent at the same time...it really would behoove not only your image but probably yourself too...

and another thing...chick really dig all those attributes in one man.    

damm dude, see I can't write like that. I just don't have it in me. Like I always say, the difference in artists and journalist is what they can put on the page. Sure in my head I know exactly what and how I want to say something however I have trouble translating that into a well written review. So i take the other road, which is a in formal review of what i think... It always gets the most clicks on cj, and you'd be shocked on how many offers i get. My style cleary isn't the proper way to write a review, but it's my way. CJ can always not publish them. I get no money or payment, i just do it for fun. But i repspect your opinion, however i'm writing reviews for people who spend their weekends doing drugs. I know my audience doesnt' care about grammar or proper ways of writing things..

Guest ddg

my whole 2 cents in this issue of saleens reviewing is that the "club scene" already has so many negatives attacking it from all angles, why does someone who is a "seasoned" clubber want to trash it even more. I can understand points of views, opinions and such, but to say you hate this guy, this venue sucked ass is just disrespectful....saleen obviously knows what hes talking about (in some respects) but the way he puts it out ends up backfiring and sometimes it makes him look ignorant.....so i went out to space last night to check out so and so..wasnt feeling the tunes...music wasnt my style..bla bla bla......instead its the fucking music was shit, dj couldnt mix, should have thrown this tune it, place sucked.....its like...how old are we......can someone teach saleen constructive criticism???

Guest web_norah

i am not fussed about the grammar/ writing style (everyone is different in this respect) but more importantly ....some of the comments and lack of objectivity....for ex, saying EM knows how to blend a classic sound and make it work....wow! i can name 1000 djs that can do that and they sure as hell dont come fr NY/NJ or even sound like a classics NY dj ..like Timmy Regisford or Frankie Knuckles...see the difference from these guys to EM *the classics master* ????

give me a break

Guest bcnjunkie

I'm a more seasoned cluber than saleen but I would never say that my opinions are better than others. I know what I like and if you read my reviews on CJ, I try to be as objective as possible and I also get alot of people tell me they like my stuff. You can't try to convince an audience that their preference is better, and in saleen's case superior, by means of bashing others. What I see as even more ignorant is his eurobashing, 1st because by the way he writes I can tell he's never partaken in the euro scene and 2nd because DJ's like Morillo have a great euro influence. Morillo not only practically lives in Ibiza for the summer but has countless residencies in Europe during winter. There's alot of interchange between Euro and New York music wise. Web_Norah made an extremely valid point, and one that discredits Saleen even more, if you put Tony Humphries, David Morales or Ted Patterson (house legends), you won't get the crowds or even less the supposed "classics" fans. Good expample was Tony Humphries @ Nerve, where were all the NY house classics fans ?

damm dude, see I can't write like that. I just don't have it in me. Like I always say, the difference in artists and journalist is what they can put on the page. Sure in my head I know exactly what and how I want to say something however I have trouble translating that into a well written review. So i take the other road, which is a in formal review of what i think... It always gets the most clicks on cj, and you'd be shocked on how many offers i get. My style cleary isn't the proper way to write a review, but it's my way. CJ can always not publish them. I get no money or payment, i just do it for fun. But i repspect your opinion, however i'm writing reviews for people who spend their weekends doing drugs. I know my audience doesnt' care about grammar or proper ways of writing things..

totally valid points...and you're right, CJ can always not publish them...

But i gather from your numerous postings on here that you are a smart, passionate person, with a good head on his shoulders---I think that saying you arent a very good writer or that your audience is full of drug abusers who dont care about grammar or proper ways of writing--I think that is a scapegoat and lazy...come on, you must love and respect yourself way too much to truly feel that way....if you didnt, you wouldnt be so opinionated, and then you wouldnt be saleen! you could easily bang out an article like the aforementioned, and have someone else look at it and give you some advice on how to tone it down a bit and give it more efficacy for your audience...

yes your reviews likely get a lot of clicks, but that is because you write controversial things, sometimes quite offensive to some---the clicks arent as relevant as the taste in the readers mouth after visiting your articles...you know? I think your articles would be so much more valuable if you picked your battles instead of waging war on humanity...ya know?

I'm not sure exactly what CJ's motivations are either for their site...i mean, are the big junkies trying to run a journalistic type of dance music website, where people can come for non-opinionated, ethically researched articles, or more subjective opinionated articles written by individuals.....the first type appeals universally to all, the latter is more of a personal memoir...

Working in media, I know that if I ever published such an article I would be blackballed in my industry and fruitlessly looking for work. I think it all boils down to respecting others and yourself...being liberal and open-minded is the foundation of our society in the 21st century...and for you to belittle entire city populations, types of music, and even sexual preferences (recall your first article, in which you referred to going to a gay event because there was a DJ spinning there you enjoy....as "braving the gay crowd") AND to publish such belittlements is beyond being opinionated, it is offensive to so many post WWII accomplishments in the US and abroad when it comes to tolerance and acceptance...Considering this, I would hope that you could at least re-evaluate some of the things you say and broadcast, and that CJ editors would also make note of this as well....the pen is mightier than the sword, when used properly...and the power of the press should never be abused---

Guest bcnjunkie

totally valid points...and you're right, CJ can always not publish them...

But i gather from your numerous postings on here that you are a smart, passionate person, with a good head on his shoulders---I think that saying you arent a very good writer or that your audience is full of drug abusers who dont care about grammar or proper ways of writing--I think that is a scapegoat and lazy...come on, you must love and respect yourself way too much to truly feel that way....if you didnt, you wouldnt be so opinionated, and then you wouldnt be saleen!  you could easily bang out an article like the aforementioned, and have someone else look at it and give you some advice on how to tone it down a bit and give it more efficacy for your audience...

yes your reviews likely get a lot of clicks, but that is because you write controversial things, sometimes quite offensive to some---the clicks arent as relevant as the taste in the readers mouth after visiting your articles...you know?  I think your articles would be so much more valuable if you picked your battles instead of waging war on humanity...ya know?  

I'm not sure exactly what CJ's motivations are either for their site...i mean, are the big junkies trying to run a journalistic type of dance music website, where people can come for non-opinionated, ethically researched articles, or more subjective opinionated articles written by individuals.....the first type appeals universally to all, the latter is more of a personal memoir...

Working in media, I know that if I ever published such an article I would be blackballed in my industry and fruitlessly looking for work.  I think it all boils down to respecting others and yourself...being liberal and open-minded is the foundation of our society in the 21st century...and for you to belittle entire city populations, types of music, and even sexual preferences (recall your first article, in which you referred to going to a gay event because there was a DJ spinning there you enjoy....as "braving the gay crowd") AND to publish such belittlements is beyond being opinionated, it is offensive to so many post WWII accomplishments in the US and abroad when it comes to tolerance and acceptance...Considering this, I would hope that you could at least re-evaluate some of the things you say and broadcast, and that CJ editors would also make note of this as well....the pen is mightier than the sword, when used properly...and the power of the press should never be abused---

You are wasting your breath !, you can't be sensible to those who are not !

You are wasting your breath !, you can't be sensible to those who are not !

I agree....it was a valid effort, EV, but you're missing the point that Saleen is TRYING to irk people. You give him good advice, and maybe he'll take it, but I doubt that'll happen in the near future.

"The first step in fixing a problem is admitting that you have one."

Guest bcnjunkie
Give him a chance to respond to me before saying it was a valiant effort or a waste of breath, respectfully ;)

tried the civilzed way, his answer to me was, "you pay cover, I don't... next !!!" sad really !!, he may have more respect for you because you are from NYC, you'll see, a waste of your civilized words !

guys, you miss the fun factor in my reviews... clubbing isn't what it once was, and clubbers really don't care on how they are written.. i let people know what i like and they can decide to check that out. There was suppose to be another cj review of the same night, but it was never posted..

nick can answer that...

Guest bcnjunkie
guys, you miss the fun factor in my reviews... clubbing isn't what it once was, and clubbers really don't care on how they are written.. i let people know what i like and they can decide to check that out. There was suppose to be another cj review of the same night, but it was never posted..

nick can answer that...

there's nothing fun about insults ! like in anything, there's people who care and people who don't !

nick can answer that...

fun factors, i think, are for forums, but reviews are published on the CJ website itself, a different entity if you ask me...the reviews placed on the actual website reflects what CJ stands for, versus the individual postings here in the forum, which is for us personally to come together and discuss things on our minds...

Clubbers care how these are written. I care. Lots of people care, if we didnt care, this thread wouldnt exist.

Saleen, you arent addressing so many things I addressed....

Guest web_norah

hmmm.....

so a *fun* review includes insulting and talking about the hot chicks... ::) and the outstanding classic house sound of EM..... :-X

oky doky

hmmm.....

so a *fun* review includes insulting and talking about the hot chicks...  ::)   and the outstanding classic house sound of EM..... :-X

oky doky

honestly, i believe forums are the right place for people to post things like that....if fun for him is insulting people...it sucks and shouldnt be done--- but if fun is talking about bangin' chicks, big butts, classic house or botany, so be it. HOWEVER, having an article that does such....now that is a different story....and this isnt just my opinion...I draw that conclusion as a fact from working in the Media and encountering situations like this as a producer, an editor, a writer, and a human being. Plain and simple.

Guest web_norah

..and as a journalist, you'd know that reading a review that insults and talks about hot chicks, etc, etc....isnt really a *review* .....also another 1 of my points... ::)

Guest endymion

It seems to me that what we have is a case of an editorial style that works in a narrow local market but that does not fly on a wider scale. The dividing line between journalistic decorum and complete informality is the context, whether it's a published story or whether it's a posting in a forum. People just expect more professionalism out of a published article that the whole community is encouraged to pay attention to.

An interesting question is why a person would want to be informal in a context where most people expect professionalism. Saleen's story is that he writes informal content that just looks a lot like a forum posting but it's really a work of journalism. In my opinion he is actually just writing a forum posting but then publishing it in a place where he's the only voice and nobody is able to respond. His intentionally inflammatory style wouldn't work for him any other way.

One way that an online publication could balance a potentially offensive contributor would be to publish their contributions hand-in-hand with the discussion that the contribution generates. Everybody who disagrees with a contributor would have a chance to go on record in disagreement, and an entire online community won't be wrongly associated with the views of one loudmouth.

Guest bcnjunkie
It seems to me that what we have is a case of an editorial style that works in a narrow local market but that does not fly on a wider scale.  The dividing line between journalistic decorum and complete informality is the context, whether it's a published story or whether it's a posting in a forum.  People just expect more professionalism out of a published article that the whole community is encouraged to pay attention to.

An interesting question is why a person would want to be informal in a context where most people expect professionalism.  Saleen's story is that he writes informal content that just looks a lot like a forum posting but it's really a work of journalism.  In my opinion he is actually just writing a forum posting but then publishing it in a place where he's the only voice and nobody is able to respond.  His intentionally inflammatory style wouldn't work for him any other way.

One way that an online publication could balance a potentially offensive contributor would be to publish their contributions hand-in-hand with the discussion that the contribution generates.  Everybody who disagrees with a contributor would have a chance to go on record in disagreement, and an entire online community won't be wrongly associated with the views of one loudmouth.

???

..and as a journalist, you'd know that reading a review that insults and talks about hot chicks, etc, etc....isnt really a *review* .....also another 1 of my points... ::)

dude, we're both saying the same thing! I think you misinterpreted me. Im saying that, as a journalist, his insults and personal affinities for the opposite sex have no place being published in an arena where the standards are for publishing ethically and journalistically sound articles...I was saying that a better place for saleen's review was in a forum, not on the CJ website directly....especially during a time when CJ is a contender for a major award at the winter music conference.