Clubplanet Nightlife Community

party 93 is gay

Guest saintjohn

Guest saintjohn

Miami gay radio outlet makes format pay

MIAMI (Hollywood Reporter) - When WPYM-FM took to the airwaves on the last day of December 2001, the rhythmic-dance music outlet owned by Atlanta-based Cox Radio Inc. didn't set out to do much more than reflect the pulsing South Beach club scene.

With few commercials and endless blocks of hopped-up top 40 remixes and underground club hits, "Party 93" quickly found its way into bars, cars and gyms -- a format tailor-made for clubgoers and fitness buffs who comprised the station's core audience.

Then, just a few months into its run, WPYM took a turn.

Interspersed between such songs as Razor N' Guido's "Do It Again" and the latest Madonna remix and ads for Cadillac and Budweiser came a slate of new promos for such events as the Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, Fort Lauderdale's Gay Pride Parade and AIDS fund-raisers like Miami's world-renowned White Party.

What was striking, though, was not that WPYM had recognized that many of its listeners were gay but the matter-of-fact way the station addressed it.

This was still more than a year before Bravo and NBC hit pay dirt with "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," a show that has certainly loosened parameters in mainstream broadcasting.

you can read the rest of the article at:

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004021103520002233827&dt=20040211035200&w=RTR&coview=

is it accurate to characterize party 93 as a "gay radio outlet"?

Guest saintjohn

while i appreciate the value of attention-getting headlines (ahem), reuters/netscape failed to highlight the real point of the article (which you identified).

Guest joeygk

although, I hate to be a negative nancy but the radio station is kinda gay --- their trackselection reads like a bad Tony Moran set!!!!!!!!! *don't hate, congratulate! ;D ;D ;D (I'm joking btw)

Guest pod
although, I hate to be a negative nancy but the radio station is kinda gay --- their trackselection reads like a bad Tony Moran set!!!!!!!!!  *don't hate, congratulate!  ;D ;D ;D   (I'm joking btw)

And how would you know what a Tony Moran set sounds like? ;D

I should talk, I ran lights for him once hehe.

Guest endymion

They broadcast live from Miami Velvet too. Definitely not a gay station. They just aren't afraid of associating with anybody in particular, that's all.

Guest web_norah

i dont hate Buster ...i dont love him either BUT he certainly has made a valuable contribution to Miami's dance scene....more than many of us here ever could......much respect to that! :o

Guest pod
Its all Buster, hes the one putting the music on the air, he is the marketing director, all him, FIRE HIS ASS!!!

DAMON 2.0

Geez Matt, what do you like? Buster's done a lot for the scene you enjoy. He puts your boy Edgar on the air a lot, for one. What have you done recently?

Buster's on air persona may not be compatible with the "hardcore clubber" mindset, but remember 93.1 is not for hardcore clubbers.

Guest pod

There is.

Check out XM 80 and 81 as well as channels 62 through 68 on Sirius.

Both playback live sets, recorded sets, and one off tracks with almost no interruption.

Years ago, we bought a hacked marine transmitter, ran the antenna up the side of my building to the roof and started broadcasting on 90.9 FM (as ViBE FM). We had turntables setup in a window directly across from Crobar in the Espanola Way Art Center where I lived. DJs were brought down from all over and they were allowed to play live sets..

As time went by, we tried to go legit by contacting the FCC and getting licensed as a non-profit community radio station. The FCC had so many prerequisites that there was no way we could get the license without a 2-4 million dollar investment.. Since I was a "starving artist" at the time enjoying the culinary delights of Ramen Noodles, obviously this wasn't going to happen. To add insult to injury, the FCC said they knew where we were broadcasting from and that they were going to come out, confiscate our equipment and have us arrested. I couldn't get home and unplug the transmitter fast enough... The station was relocated and I lost track of whatever happened to it..

FM Radio is big business with literally millions of dollars at stake. With that in mind, nobody is going to chance that much money on the whim of a small niche market such as underground dance music.

Anyone remember Hot 105 waaaay back in the day?

Guest endymion

Niche market radio is alive and well, you just have to get it through the net or satellite instead of through FM. Artemis, like you said, FM is too valuable to big business and the governments that coddle them, so that arena is dead. FM is so valuable now and the market is changing so much specifically because it appeals to poor people, think about it. Poor people buy CD's at Wal Mart still. That's what has happened to the old guard music industry.

There are plenty of niche markets out there in Net Land that are just dying to find a voice though, and small operations like Boombastic Radio and Proton Radio and Bassdrive are moving in to serve them. Some of those little net radio stations are even making money. The revolution is fully underway, it's just all happening online.

Guest pod

That's what a lot of people fail to understand. As an innovative medium, FM is dead.

The real revolutions are in internet broadcasting and in satellite radio.