Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Poll: Miami's Best Sound System

Guest housejunkie98

Guest HouseJunkie

Which club has the best sound system? 'Best' means that even if they played country music, the damn thing sound so good you just wanna dance.

Guest becha

I'd like to nominate Nerve ........ I really like that sound system.... DJ booth also kicks ass... although they need to add a third turntable...

Becha

Guest pod

I'd say the best sound system currently in operation is over at Space. Nerve is nice, but the DJs tend to abuse it too much because it's a Phazon.

However, I think in late January this may change 8)

Third deck at Nerve is easy...bring your own, no one will fault you for it. Of course, it better be used other than sitting pretty ;D

Guest pod

Nocturnal is being equipped with a custom Funktion-One sound system...only one of it's type in the world...the speakers alone took 10 months to build.

Guest becha
what about the "bouncy" turntables ... ?

You're right... I almost forgot about that.... It was like playing basketball while spinning.... I was tempted to take off my shoe and wedge it into the side to stop it from bouncing...

I'm biased to Nerve because it's the first real gig I've got here in Miami .. truth is I really dig the sound there... I don't make it out enough to compare... but I like smaller rooms... like Nerve

Guest sarahcj
 my friends and I say tpa when we have a gross hook-up = trailer park ass.  

lol - thats a new one to me - a NY thing??

Guest sanmartindj
Nocturnal is being equipped with a custom Funktion-One sound system...only one of it's type in the world...the speakers alone took 10 months to build.

:o :o can't wait till feb!!! ;D ;D any word on the type of music or the opening events??

Guest tpajunkie
what does tpa stand for in your name?  my friends and I say tpa when we have a gross hook-up = trailer park ass.  

nice. It was originally for tampa, but i like your idea better.

Guest becha

What's the difference between a "Function One System" vs "Phazon System".......

I imagine that they both bring major power... but isn't the end result solely dependant upon the knowledge of the installer.... and his or her ability to tweak everything to fit the environment.. ?

Guest pod

A Phazon system is custom built to each building, driving up the cost significantly, for a decent increase in overall fidelity and performance. The upside is that it often sounds the best for the given venue. The downside is that only the Phazon people are authorized to make adjustments and perform maintenance and upgrades...doing so yourself voids the warranty...many clubs actually do this, and a Phazon can go from good to shit in a short time...crobar goes through phases, they don't keep up on the maintenance like they should and the system goes to hell quite often, then the Phazon team flies down and rogers it out for a premium.

A standard Funktion-One system is just that, a standard piece of high-performance audio gear. Off-the-shelf components, but fantastic off-the-shelf components...think of a Phazon as some sort of custom-built car that performs like a dream, just for you, and a Funktion-One as a Ferarri..both are good, but the Phazon is bit of a better fit, but at a premium.

The nice thing about Funktion-One is that any decent sound engineer can perform maintenance on it, without voiding any warranties. However, an installer must be certified by Funktion-One, and since it is so new in the US, the designer, one Tony Andrews (founder of Turbosound), supervises all installs, and trains the installers himself...

Nocturnal's rig differs though....it's a Funktion-One, but it's custom built to spec by Tony himself, so you'll never see the likes of it again. It's the Phazon concept done by the Funktion-One people...

As far as which is superior? It's hard to say, since Funktion-One (with the exception of Nocturnal), is off-the-shelf, and Phazon is custom...two different classes of products.

Guest LeVeL

Thank for the Club Sound System Lesson Pod, cant wait for that Funktion One System to be heard at Nocturnal, hey by the way what kind of music will Nocturnal be playing for what crowd are they going for. One last question when is the opening night for the Noc........

Guest pod

Opening night? Well, I'm not 100% sure of when it is, but it will be in the next 8-12 weeks. ;D

Music...nothing has been released yet, but look for some stellar residents and guests that don't get much time in Miami right now!

Guest becha
A Phazon system is custom built to each building, driving up the cost significantly, for a decent increase in overall fidelity and performance. The upside is that it often sounds the best for the given venue. The downside is that only the Phazon people are authorized to make adjustments and perform maintenance and upgrades...doing so yourself voids the warranty...many clubs actually do this, and a Phazon can go from good to shit in a short time...crobar goes through phases, they don't keep up on the maintenance like they should and the system goes to hell quite often, then the Phazon team flies down and rogers it out for a premium.

A standard Funktion-One system is just that, a standard piece of high-performance audio gear. Off-the-shelf components, but fantastic off-the-shelf components...think of a Phazon as some sort of custom-built car that performs like a dream, just for you, and a Funktion-One as a Ferarri..both are good, but the Phazon is bit of a better fit, but at a premium.

The nice thing about Funktion-One is that any decent sound engineer can perform maintenance on it, without voiding any warranties. However, an installer must be certified by Funktion-One, and since it is so new in the US, the designer, one Tony Andrews (founder of Turbosound), supervises all installs, and trains the installers himself...

Nocturnal's rig differs though....it's a Funktion-One, but it's custom built to spec by Tony himself, so you'll never see the likes of it again. It's the Phazon concept done by the Funktion-One people...

As far as which is superior? It's hard to say, since Funktion-One (with the exception of Nocturnal), is off-the-shelf, and Phazon is custom...two different classes of products.

Now that's the reply I was looking for....

What does a system like Nerve's cost as opposed to a club like Crobar?

Guest pod

It's a matter of scale really. Nerve has 2 custom enclosures and the associated amplification system, crobar has six custom enclosures and the associated amplification system. I'd say crobar's system probably cost a few hundred thousand maybe close to a million with labour..., Nerve's probably just over 100K...

Interesting side note, Nerve's system actually has mid-high boxes from Funktion-One. Phazon will often do that, take the best components of other people's systems, and tweak them for the room...example...look inside the speaker stacks at crobar, and it's all JBL OEM components.