Clubplanet Nightlife Community

So i'm watching 60 mins last night

Guest endymion

During the war, CNN and Fox News showed whatever the hell video clips the Pentagon tossed them. We got lots and lots of feel-good video segments out of both media outlets. Lots of photos of soldiers writing letters to their loved ones back home, solidiers on patrol, soldiers smiling and chatting with locals. The BBC was pretty slanted tool.

The news from media outlets from other countries was not so rosy. I spent a good amount of time at news.google.com comparing notes on how different incidents were reported from different places. CNN and Fox News are both heaviliy nationalistically slanted. CNN might have liberal leanings but they are gung-ho patriotic all the way, regardless of what might actually be happening in the world. That isn't real helpful.

Anybody who is interested in finding ways to see through the media filters should definitely take a look at http://news.google.com It's a wonderful tool for free thinkers.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's part of the reason i like john stewart and bill maher so much. when they present the news, they present it with their bias, their opinion. and you know that. so you take everything with a grain of salt, because you know it's their opinion that's coming through. the problem with mass media outlets is that there are a small group of producers that decide what i see on the news every night. and they present it as if it's the only news, the only perspective there is. scary thing is that most americans don't realize this is happening. most of us see the news and think that that's the way it happened, and that's all there is to it. but, there's some old white guys in a room that decide what "news" really is. tech, i'll definitely take your advice about google. that's a great idea.

Guest endymion
that's part of the reason i like john stewart and bill maher so much.  when they present the news, they present it with their bias, their opinion.  and you know that.

I have never thought about it that way. You're totally right!

One of the reasons why I like paying as much attention to people like Jon Stewart and Rush Limbaugh is because you learn as much about the demographic that they represent as you do about the events themselves. Sometimes I'm more interested in the mind-set of a person who would think one way or another about an issue than I am about the issue itself.

Guest JMT
Yeah, even though O'Reilly is one of the stupidest and arrogant pricks in the U.S.

yeah whatever. this is america, just because you dont agree doesnt mean hes "stupid." arrogant? maybe. you have to be to be in that line of work, Maher is just as pompous.

yeah whatever.  this is america, just because you dont agree doesnt mean hes "stupid."  arrogant?  maybe.  you have to be to be in that line of work, Maher is just as pompous.

god he is! I love it. maher is my god. his show rox my world and my mind.

Guest endymion

Chris Matthews is actually my favorite at the moment. He doesn't even really talk any more, he just kind of squaks like a stork for emphasis, it's profoundly entertaining.